Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 UL Development

1. Default Re: Where is the development thread?

but what about the development deal. was it real? how long in the works?

Default Re: Where is the development thread?

Why was there no pre warning that there would be a shut down/upgrade?

Default Re: Where is the thread, Turbine?

Quote Originally Posted by CRAWFISH61 View Post
    Quit being a jerk to the person who finances runs and allows us this forum. You ever thought in the migration to a new format that he could not bring over all of the threads without significant cost. If you don’t like the way Turbine is running it start your own site.
    A new site was started.

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    A new site was started.
    Yea, and there’s no censorship...except for CajunVic only being allowed to troll in one certain thread.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaB View Post
    Yea, and there’s no censorship...except for CajunVic only being allowed to troll in one certain thread.
    Heard there was a new site. What is the name of it? Who is running it?

What development are we talking about? Not to get whacked again, but what was the thread about, generally?

7. Default Re: Where is the development thread?

Quote Originally Posted by JMVCAJUNS View Post
    Why was there no pre warning that there would be a shut down/upgrade?
    I can't even remember everything that went wrong. So please forgive me if I jump around in the timeline.

I didn't expect the system to crash while I was doing a backup of the data base and when it did I panicked. I over reacted.

We've moved servers 4 times in 18 years and the gap is between is big enough between that I never know exactly what I'm doing. I didn't think I would need to make an announcement about a short period of downtime till later.

The database backup that I was attempting kept timing out and with the software I was using I couldn't finish the back up. I thought it was a slow server, so I ordered faster one.

Almost One and a Quarter Million Posts over 18 years makes for a very large database.

A new forum was started elsewhere after just 3 days and I knew a larger server would be useless. So I cancelled the new server.

I had some older backups so I decided to upgrade the software on the existing server and reboot with about 4 months missing. It never came to that scenario, I was able to back up the database minus some key components. I think I lost some (but not all) picture attachments

At some point the process I read that if I dumped the search portion of the index, the existing database might become manageable. I did that, it worked. (Later it would take parts of 4 days to re-index it.)

We had to upgrade Plesk and then .php to the latest version and then upgrade mySQL to what the forum software requires. *

It was a mess and I was in over my head. The Dedicated Server Provider would not do the Plesk update until I had backed up all the databases that I could.

Dumping the search index worked.

Then they started with Plesk, php, mySQL upgrades.

I bought the latest version of the *software and it requires a tweak conversion of the old database.

I work full time so I could not give it my undivided attention.

I think I want to cry just typing this but it might just be allergies since I mowed the homestead today.

Nothing is working perfectly, yet, but I'm still working on it.

FORUMeus and RaginPagin are on the same server but I didn't want to touch any of the required files on RaginPagin in case I broke it more than I did.

Please forgive me its been tough.

Whatever happens, its all good, the sun will rise tomorrow.

Turbine, this forum has been somewhat of a "home base" for many Cajun fans. Your work over the years is greatly appreciated. I hope that Cajun fans don't start a war between this forum and the new one. I think there should be room for both to exist and prosper. Many schools have multiple message boards and/or sites and, in my opinion, the more exposure the Ragin Cajuns can get, the better for everyone.
    Thanks again for what you have done in the past and will do going forward!

9. Default Re: Where is the development thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Turbine, this forum has been somewhat of a "home base" for many Cajun fans. Your work over the years is greatly appreciated. I hope that Cajun fans don't start a war between this forum and the new one. I think there should be room for both to exist and prosper. Many schools have multiple message boards and/or sites and, in my opinion, the more exposure the Ragin Cajuns can get, the better for everyone.
    Thanks again for what you have done in the past and will do going forward!
    Thank you.

I don't see any reason for a board war either.

So, whats the new forum???

Quote Originally Posted by JamesTheJeweler View Post
    So, whats the new forum???
    COOK SOME RICE AND CHECK YOUR PM LIKE THAT.

Thanks for all of your efforts Turbine.

Thanks for the forum.

14. Default Re: Where is the development thread?

I can't express how much your kind comments mean to me.

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Thanks for the forum.

Ditto!!!

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information