Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21

Thread: 2020 UL Development

1. Default Re: 2023: We Need This At Cajun Field

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Monkee View Post
    Just a few thoughts

While Josh is responsible for the $20 million “loan“, the issue with the retirement is much larger and came way before Josh. Goes back to Joey I think.

I spoke to somebody at LEDA about the proposed/alleged development next to UMC, which I think was supposed to include a store similar to the one in Gonzales.

They had never heard of it. I find this pretty shocking, considering not only is it in their backyard, it would actually be part of the development in which they are located. I just don’t think it was a thing.

I mentioned a development district back then. The district would necessarily/theoretically included a geographic area bounded by Johnson Street, Bertrand, to erase Landry, to the backside of the UL property, to the coulee and back to Johnson Street.

It would be necessary to do so because much of the land is state owned

And I know of at least two business owners, one being Tim Metcalf, who are particularly conservative. Who is going to convince them that they should pay an additional 1/2 cent sales tax for entertainment/sports?

Our legislative delegation is doing nothing to advance. I 49.

And they all get free tickets to TSAB games.

I don’t think a conservative delegation is going to push this.

Finally, Steve Oubre is an architect. He didn’t put together a plan, he presented pictures.

The Alden report is just that, a report. Just recommendations.

Neither document has an associated matrix or schematic or roadmap on how to proceed with accomplishing their concepts.
    I know for a fact (first hand in one case) that these things all took place. The reason that nothing ever came of any of it is because a couple high placed folks basically balked at the idea of losing control. That's about as much as I'll say on here because it would be virtually impossible to explain without giving up names and pointing fingers.

Default Re: 2023: We Need This At Cajun Field

CM, is this so true…

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    Yes, it’s time for an entertainment district around the Louisiana athletic complex especially since the Performing Arts Center will be located there on Congress.

Martin Hall also needs to reinstating axillary funds to athletics. It’s time to invest in all aspects of our great university including the front porch.

We are in the top 3% as a Tier 1 research university. Tier 1 was our goal over a decade ago. Louisiana athletics also needs a goal to compete at the highest level. It may take over a decade, but with strong leadership and vision, we can achieve this goal.
    We achieved our academic goal of R1 status, we acquired the Lourdes property and are moving to increase research and endowment. It is now time for UL to match that athletically. Dr. S said athletics is the window to the world for UL. Well, that window provides a limited view of the university. We've come a long way with achieving our Louisiana name and Carnegie R1 status. Dr. S needs to commit more dollars to athletics, get the stadium renovations done and commit to a higher level of athletics. We have the other facilities in place. Why can't the university now focus on better funding of athletics with a stated commitment of getting it to a P5 conference? Partner with the City on an entertainment zone around the athletic complex and focus on getting the city, parish, and Acadiana to support its university by creating a better game day environment. In the eyes of the public, we will never be a major university until athletics achieves the same status as academics, something we will never achieve in the Sun Belt.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    We achieved our academic goal of R1 status, we acquired the Lourdes property and are moving to increase research and endowment. It is now time for UL to match that athletically. Dr. S said athletics is the window to the world for UL. Well, that window provides a limited view of the university. We've come a long way with achieving our Louisiana name and Carnegie R1 status. Dr. S needs to commit more dollars to athletics, get the stadium renovations done and commit to a higher level of athletics. We have the other facilities in place. Why can't the university now focus on better funding of athletics with a stated commitment of getting it to a P5 conference? Partner with the City on an entertainment zone around the athletic complex and focus on getting the city, parish, and Acadiana to support its university by creating a better game day environment. In the eyes of the public, we will never be a major university until athletics achieves the same status as academics, something we will never achieve in the Sun Belt.
    I won’t say never, but we are dreaming if you think that the Admin is really committed to achieving the highest level of success athletically or academically.

Do not think for one second the moment this public university located in Lafayette, Louisiana, achieved Carnage R-1 status, the mofos associated to the flagship in Baton Rouge, internally and externally, paid attention. And I’m very comfortable speculating some of our ULS “brethren” contacted the flagship. All saying, what are we going to do about this?

We’ve watched TSAB do whatever possible to duplicate or flat out cancel and move programs from multiple universities to Baton Rouge over the years. The quandary is with the academic world now knowing who the University of Louisiana at Lafayette is, they cannot do their usual political moves to quash this accomplishment, TSAB’s own credibility would be tarnished.

So this is the moment in time the game changes. UL needs to keep on keeping on to maintain R-1. And it’s on this front ULL becomes the generic UL and Louisiana. All they have to do is play the game…one legal reference, then the shorten version then on. Right in front of the whole world.

6. Default Re: Here we go again

Does anyone know what percentage of the master plan for athletics has been implemented?

Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 18 19 20 21

Thread Information