Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

1. UL Softball Softball America hating on the Cajuns

If they were a football media outlet I would cut them some slack, but under no scenario is Louisiana Softball a "Mid Major."

https://www.softballamerica.com/stor...watch-in-2021/

Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

At least they pointed out that UL can hardly be considered one of those.

He is a student intern. Hasn’t been around long enough. He will figure it out.

4. Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

Yeah and Gonzaga is a mid major basketball program.

"Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC). These conferences are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison. The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[1] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences. It is considered offensive and derogatory by some fans and schools."

Mid-major does not mean you aren't a national powerhouse, see Gonzaga in basketball.

6. Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    "Mid-major is a term used in American NCAA Division I college sports, especially men's basketball, to refer to athletic conferences that are not among the so-called "Power Five conferences" (the ACC, Big 10, Big 12, Pac-12, and SEC). These conferences are sometimes referred to as "high majors" by comparison. The term "mid-major" was coined in 1977 by Jack Kvancz, head coach of Catholic University's men's basketball team.[1] Such a distinction is not officially acknowledged by the NCAA, nor does the NCAA use the terms "major" and "mid-major" to differentiate between Division I athletic conferences. It is considered offensive and derogatory by some fans and schools."

Mid-major does not mean you aren't a national powerhouse, see Gonzaga in basketball.
    It’s a perjorative. I can’t speak to the coach that coined it but I hate the term, and I hate being #3 mid major or 48th overall.

7. Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

you sound surprised........ ive been trying to tell you, but you all call me tinfoil

8. Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    you sound surprised........ ive been trying to tell you, but you all call me tinfoil
    I’m afraid it doesn’t bother Dr. Maggard. He often lists our mid major rankings as something to be proud of. I’d simply prefer #48 instead of #3 mid major. Now I might believe our rank should be #18 instead of #48. I’m sure there’s biase that become self fulfilling.

Why is this article “hating” on the Cajuns? They listed us as one of the Top 5 non-P5 programs to watch. We’re actually getting recognition here.

Some people just look for reasons to be offended. I guarantee you Coach Glasco and the girls aren’t worrying about being called a “mid major”.

10. Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Why is this article “hating” on the Cajuns? They listed us as one of the Top 5 non-P5 programs to watch. We’re actually getting recognition here.

Some people just look for reasons to be offended. I guarantee you Coach Glasco and the girls aren’t worrying about being called a “mid major”.
    It's a football term.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    It's a football term.
    Just like we have won the name battle for "Louisiana" , they have won the name battle for P5 vs G5/Mid-Major. might as well face it, there is no going back to how it was originally intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    Just like we have won the name battle for "Louisiana" , they have won the name battle for P5 vs G5/Mid-Major. might as well face it, there is no going back to how it was originally intended.
    I agree with the first part of this. The P5 won the perception battle, but to be fair, the G5 never had a chance. The system as it is now is designed so the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

This artificial barrier to programs advancing will eventually break down. It may not be in my lifetime, but it will happen. There is a market for the values in play in amateur sports. That market will keep the G5 (which needs to rebrand itself) viable. Eventually, the P5 will overreach. Greed is inevitable and them. That will be the end for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    I agree with the first part of this. The P5 won the perception battle, but to be fair, the G5 never had a chance. The system as it is now is designed so the rich get richer and the poor get poorer.

This artificial barrier to programs advancing will eventually break down. It may not be in my lifetime, but it will happen. There is a market for the values in play in amateur sports. That market will keep the G5 (which needs to rebrand itself) viable. Eventually, the P5 will overreach. Greed is inevitable and them. That will be the end for them.
    Right. I never understood the need to create artificial division. "Mid-Major", "G5", "P5." Has it ever really mattered?

I can see how the differences between FBS and FCS exist in D1 football, but that's it, I think. Anyone can win a D1 national championship as long as they are D1.

Oh, yeah. Softball will be really good again. I still wonder what would have happened to that team this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    It's a football term.
    I disagree. It originated as a basketball term and still is.

15. Default Re: Softball America hating on the Cajuns

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I disagree. It originated as a basketball term and still is.
    Yes it still is,and that is its origin but in 1977 Louisiana was not referred to as a Mid Major.

Since then and only recently, the term has been hijacked by football with the advent of the P5.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information