Thread: Freakonomics Podcast

1. Louisiana Campus Freakonomics Podcast

This weeks podcast is focused on Universities transitioning from Brick and Mortar to Online learning. Mostly stopgap measures.

It delves a bit into athletics, but not much.

Boston U, and Arizona State are the focus, overall its very interesting and I found myself asking where Louisiana is fitting into this mix.

Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This weeks podcast is focused on Universities transitioning from Brick and Mortar to Online learning. Mostly stopgap measures.

It delves a bit into athletics, but not much.

Boston U, and Arizona State are the focus, overall its very interesting and I found myself asking where Louisiana is fitting into this mix.
    I've graduated in the last 10 years so I had 1 or 2 online classes.I found I forgot what I learned in them much quicker than in-person class maybe that's just me but I can't imagine you get a equal college experience online

3. Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    I've graduated in the last 10 years so I had 1 or 2 online classes.I found I forgot what I learned in them much quicker than in-person class maybe that's just me but I can't imagine you get a equal college experience online
    I suspect you are right.

Vocal emphasis on main points is probably lacking online.

4. Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

I suspect you are right.

My kids hate it.

I suspect you are right.

20% of college is networking I've made a lot of great contacts / Friends in class that I call professionally for questions and visa versa

6. Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

I had one online / part time class and absolutely hated it.

I had 1-2 online classes while at UL, and it just wasn't the same as it was in class. For me, the interaction with other people is what made for the overall college experience.

I've been told many lecture courses is nothing more than what many of us in the working world have been subjected to. Hours of power point presentation with the facilitator reading it word for word, with little interaction.

I know in the Lafayette area, the attorney that comes thru every other year and facilities the HR laws uses the same power point he uses to teach at Alice Shoe.

9. Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

If done correctly, the online/distance course can be just as effective as in person. The problem is that there has not been adequate training of faculty. You do lose the peer to peer contact when you are not physically sitting in a class but with all of the streaming options it is possible to "sit" in the class the same time it is happening. Online learning has gotten a bad rep (justified) because of some of the less than stellar academic institutions offering it. Legitimate courses at reputable universities are fine.

10. Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

The podcast doesn't delve much into the "experience."

It goes more into what the recent mix has been and will be in the future.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/covid-19-college/

11. Default Re: Freakonomics Podcast

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    makes sense, not necessarily a statement on the lesson plans, but could mean you learn more from colleagues than from the profs

Thread Information