Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Jalen Johnson

UL Basketball Jalen Johnson

I've seen the responses from Jalen and Coach Marlin. Does anyone know the real reason?

Default Re: Jalen Johnson Leaving

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    I've seen the responses from Jalen and Coach Marlin. Does anyone know the real reason?
    Wants to make it further than the second round of his conference tournament

He's graduating according to KATC. Pretty much common place today guys go to the portal if they have one last year left of eligibility.

Jalen Johnson has to be the only player to transfer that the coaching staff truly regrets losing

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    He's graduating according to KATC. Pretty much common place today guys go to the portal if they have one last year left of eligibility.
    Not too common when you had just transferred the year before.

This is an indictment on Bob. When we had an opportunity to clean house, we didn't and now we are stuck with him. Yes, Bob is a good man, but he's a sub par SBC coach and recruiter.

Until Bob hires someone on his staff that's comfortable enough to challenge him, we'll get the same results.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    Jalen Johnson has to be the only player to transfer that the coaching staff truly regrets losing
    Fully agree. Sorry to lose him but at the same time, nice talking real relevant sports.

The portal/graduate student portal is pretty much a one way street.player can pursue a graduate degree that may not be offered at their present school, move closer to home, change of environment.any number of reasons.

You are right. Change of environment is what concerns me. He got here a year ago. It's not like he's wanting a change of scenery after a year unless that environment was somewhat toxic. Can't be due to playing time. Had he wanted a graduate degree that we don't offer, why come here in the first place when you'll be leaving a year later? He's from LA so moving closer to home doesn't really seem that important.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You are right. Change of environment is what concerns me. He got here a year ago. It's not like he's wanting a change of scenery after a year unless that environment was somewhat toxic. Can't be due to playing time. Had he wanted a graduate degree that we don't offer, why come here in the first place when you'll be leaving a year later? He's from LA so moving closer to home doesn't really seem that important.
    I'll get beat up for it, but we will be much better without him on the floor. Tons of deficiencies in his game. We will be much better defensively not having to cover him up anymore. Thought the ball stopped in his hands alot which caused many turnovers and interrupted our flow on offense. I know his numbers are decent, but it's much deeper than his numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I'll get beat up for it, but we will be much better without him on the floor. Tons of deficiencies in his game. We will be much better defensively not having to cover him up anymore. Thought the ball stopped in his hands alot which caused many turnovers and interrupted our flow on offense. I know his numbers are decent, but it's much deeper than his numbers.
    He would have been a central part of this team. He has shortcomings but we could have used his consistent shooting with some of the help we would have gotten on the front line this year.

He would have been a central part of this team. He has shortcomings but we could have used his consistent shooting with some of the help we would have gotten on the front line this year.
    But his shot is FAR from consistent. Guess we didn't see the same player. He was a tweener who put us in a lose lose situation on the defensive end of the floor. He couldnt guard bigs, and was too slow for wings his size.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Fully agree. Sorry to lose him but at the same time, nice talking real relevant sports.

The portal/graduate student portal is pretty much a one way street.player can pursue a graduate degree that may not be offered at their present school, move closer to home, change of environment.any number of reasons.
    I agree with all of this. Jalen seems to be a very high character kid who knows what he wants to do with the rest of his life which I believe is broadcast journalism. With the current situation and the real fact that a basketball season is not guaranteed for next year he may be choosing to focus on a graduate degree that he truly feels will help him the most with his career.

As far as the Cajun basketball program goes this is the first time I have been truly disappointed to hear about a transfer in a long time. Maybe the last was when Jerikius Davis announced he was transferring after his redshirt year before being convinced to stay. Before that maybe Colbey. Most of the transfers in recent years were not guys expected to have an impact the following season.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    But his shot is FAR from consistent. Guess we didn't see the same player. He was a tweener who put us in a lose lose situation on the defensive end of the floor. He couldnt guard bigs, and was too slow for wings his size.
    His midrange shot was pretty darned good, especially in the second half of the season. Like Mike said, his shooting overall was a little disappointment from what the team saw in his season he sat out. Even with some of the issues he had, especially from the perimeter, was he not our second best shooter behind Russell? I would have expected him to settle in more this year and see a pop in his percentages. Defensively I'd agree. Wasn't the best. But this year he would have played the PF more to guard bigger guys versus getting stuck on the perimeter guarding a wing. With Julien starting at the SF and an influx of wing players coming in, this likely would have kept him at the PF spot. I'll put it to you this way, I think we are worse off having him leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I agree with all of this. Jalen seems to be a very high character kid who knows what he wants to do with the rest of his life which I believe is broadcast journalism. With the current situation and the real fact that a basketball season is not guaranteed for next year he may be choosing to focus on a graduate degree that he truly feels will help him the most with his career.

As far as the Cajun basketball program goes this is the first time I have been truly disappointed to hear about a transfer in a long time. Maybe the last was when Jerikius Davis announced he was transferring after his redshirt year before being convinced to stay. Before that maybe Colbey. Most of the transfers in recent years were not guys expected to have an impact the following season.
    If he left due to academics kudos to him and I'm supportive. My concern is whether he left due to issues with staff or players. He was one of our most important players and would have been in line to be a major contributor in his senior season.

In regards to transfer upsets, mine was when Hassani Gravett transferred out to South Carolina to become a final four participant and contributor. He transferred in with Gant and those guys only to transfer out the immediate season after he sat out. This thoroughly confused me as why would someone do that?

He has been here and enrolled as a student for a full 2 years. It could be a number of factors including things he experienced in the class room that led to this decision. I remember hearing upon graduating that getting a graduate degree from the same school where you got your undergrad can be seen by some in the professional world as incestuous (actual term that was used because it stuck in my head). This is one of the reasons even though I love our school and Lafayette I moved on for grad school.

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information