Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Article: Louisiana issues statement on the death of Dr. Ray P. Authement

Default Re: Friday: Drive By Tribute Planned for Raymond Authement

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Dr. Authement was instrumental, along with Dr. Oliver, in getting the computer school on track. I don't have to read anything about it I was there and saw it.
    You used the IBM in Martin Hall?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    You used the IBM in Martin Hall?
    HA Yeah. Don't drop your computer program and data file that you spent HOURS punching out on computer cards on the key punch machine. Then there was MULTICS. One of less than ten made by Honeywell. One was at MIT the others were with the Defense department and other government agencies. It took some getting used to doing work on a terminal and not having something in your hands. I still have some computer cards. I need to find them.

HA Yeah. Don't drop your computer program and data file that you spent HOURS punching out on computer cards on the key punch machine. Then there was MULTICS. One of less than ten made by Honeywell. One was at MIT the others were with the Defense department and other government agencies. It took some getting used to doing work on a terminal and not having something in your hands. I still have some computer cards. I need to find them.
    I had an upperclassman tell me about debugging my Fortran programming before going through the keypunch process. It kept me from spending so many late nights having to keypunch multiple times.

On the MULTICS, I understood we had a graduate working at NASA that got us the computer for the price of picking it up at the train station. First time I ever ran into computer gaming. Zork could be addictive, even without graphics.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Really sad that such a great man will be relegated to a virtual send off.
    If you step back and think about his legacy, in a way, it is sort of an appropriate send off. Virtual send off in a computerized world.

Dr. Authement was instrumental, along with Dr. Oliver, in getting the computer school on track. I don't have to read anything about it I was there and saw it.
    I was as well!

I found a stack of old computer cards They re called Hollerith Cards after Herman Hollerith. He started a little company called IBM.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I found a stack of old computer cards They re called Hollerith Cards after Herman Hollerith. He started a little company called IBM.
    I used those when I first started working at Texaco in 1981. We used them for a few years.

8. Default Re: Friday: Drive By Tribute Planned for Raymond Authement

An unused one might be worth some bucks.

Here is a rendition of an IBM 1620
    Attached Images Attached Images  

9. Default Re: Friday: Drive By Tribute Planned for Raymond Authement

Hopefully we can all drive to Lafayette next Friday. Still won’t be able to gather. He took over at a low point for the university.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Hopefully we can all drive to Lafayette next Friday. Still won’t be able to gather. He took over at a low point for the university.
    I'll agree with the low point, but one could argue that while his legacy to the universities academic improvement is undeniable, his legacy to the athletic department has also be undeniable. His vision for the university was from an academic mindset, and all his decisions for athletics seemed to be based on keeping the athletic department from his perspective "in its place". That could be driven from the situation with basketball when he took over which I can understand, but times changed and he was unwilling to do so. JMO

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    It was today.

12. Default Re: Friday: Drive By Tribute Planned for Raymond Authement

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    It was today.
    That’s what I thought, then I saw the Friday15th somewhere. Clearly that Friday the 15th isn’t correct.

13. Default Cars line up around UL to honor Ray Authement in drive-by memorial at UL

Dozens of cars lined E. University Avenue on Friday morning, as people drove by the University of Louisiana at Lafayette's administration building to honor Ray Authement, the legendary former university president who died Sunday.

14. Default Re: Friday: Drive By Tribute Planned for Raymond Authement

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    It was today.
    Was anyone there or drove by who may report on the response? I would love to know! Thanks

They had a pretty steady flow. It wasn't backed up though.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information