Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: This State Needs a New Medical School

1. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    You're moving around. You were not specific about where the doctors are missing. It's fine to project you meant Louisiana, but again not specific. You're just saying it's obviously Louisiana, and I didn't see that as rock solid interpretation.

Yeah, we're producing more doctors than we need. Like most highly educated we're not retaining enough. Anyway like everyone told me months ago the MoanRow medical school will be producing hundreds of additional doctors annually. We all believe in those guys who'd rather manipulate than issue medications.

Not LSU but a poor state is why we're doctors short. That doesn’t mean I wouldn’t like an MD school under the UL platform in Lafayette. It simply isn’t the main reason we’re short of doctors.
    Again, I never said "main reason" but since you bring it up relentlessly, they may be. Because if a med school was Green lighted financing would be found.

Impetus for this topic:
    New Orleans Convention Center will now house 2,000 hospital beds for COVID-19 patients but authorities have lamented a lack of doctors to staff the extra beds.

2. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Actually you said that was a solution period. Again it’s too many graduating on our tax dollars and headed out the state ASAP. A medical school at Louisiana would just be additional tax thefts for the Texas, Florida, Georgia to benefit.

You just can’t stand for others to see things differently.

3. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Actually you said that was a solution period. Again it’s too many graduating on our tax dollars and headed out the state ASAP. A medical school at Louisiana would just be additional tax thefts for the Texas, Florida, Georgia to benefit.

You just can’t stand for others to see things differently.
    I don't mind you seeing things differently and I definitely said it was a solution. But please don't misquote me if you can help it.

Your lamenting a 100% exit is not a reason to do nothing. I also don't think it would be the end result.

I also don't think UL should shutter its Oil related courses just because more workers have left the state than stayed.

Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't mind you seeing things differently and I definitely said it was a solution. But please don't misquote me if you can help it.

Your lamenting a 100% exit is not a reason to do nothing. I also don't think it would be the end result.

I also don't think UL should shutter its Oil related courses just because more workers have left the state than stayed.
    I have always insisted that we should get into Nuclear Engineering as well. It has lots of potential these days, and there is a lot of grant money to be had.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Would bring a ton of diversification to our Acadiana economy. I believe Lafayette General is already a designated teaching hospital. With Oschsners coming in might increase clout. Ultimately it's a political solution to get this done. There's no downside for the region or the State. Even Lake Charles and Alexandria regions will benefit from a medical school being in Lafayette based at UL.
    Stupid question, but can you create a medical school without having to operate a hospital alongside it? I’d love to see a medical school at UL, but I could see how having to create, manage, and fund a hospital would be a nearly insurmountable obstacle for us.

6. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Stupid question, but can you create a medical school without having to operate a hospital alongside it? I'd love to see a medical school at UL, but I could see how having to create, manage, and fund a hospital would be a nearly insurmountable obstacle for us.
    There is already one basically on campus - UMC - that is run by the State. This guy never fails to be limited.

7. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    There is already one basically on campus - UMC - that is run by the State. This guy never fails to be limited.
    but i thought the moral of the reb story is there arent enough hospitals...hmmm

When 71 graduated from med school, he took 6 or 7 visits to hospitals where he would spend the next 3 to 5 years in residency. Every hospital had 1st and 2nd year residents in the 63 to just under 70k salary. Some that offered less money, offered more job perks. Point is, all teaching hospitals basically offer the same deal to residents. If I recall, Laf. General was in that pay range..

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    It isn’t run by the state you dumbazz. It is run by LGMC. And before it was LGMC it was run by a freakin’ medical school.

10. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    When 71 graduated from med school, he took 6 or 7 visits to hospitals where he would spend the next 3 to 5 years in residency. Every hospital had 1st and 2nd year residents in the 63 to just under 70k salary. Some that offered less money, offered more job perks. Point is, all teaching hospitals basically offer the same deal to residents. If I recall, Laf. General was in that pay range..
    third person? when was this, seems it is about the same today, yet residents havent whined to politicians or went on strike, how ironic

11. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    It isn't run by the state you dumbazz. It is run by LGMC. And before it was LGMC it was run by a freakin' medical school.
    Ignore.

Maybe not - I forgot that we have a teaching hospital, right there on campus. All it needs is a medical school to go with it.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    third person? when was this, seems it is about the same today, yet residents havent whined to politicians or went on strike, how ironic
    Year and a half ago...what third person? WTF are you talking about?

13. Default

No one ever knows.. Not even him.

14. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Sorry? I thought your name was 71 and you said "when 71 graduated".... Instead of saying when i graduated?

But thanks for update that it was recent..
    Never mind then about wages being same...i thought you were speaking of longer ago...i.e. 71. Lol

15. Default Re: This State Needs a New Medical School

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    No one ever knows.. Not even him.
    But welcome back! See can still be positive.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information