Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

1. Default Re: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

NCAA basketball isn’t dying. You can almost bet your bottom dollar the next contract for TV will be bigger than the biggest yet current contract.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    NCAA basketball isn’t dying. You can almost bet your bottom dollar the next contract for TV will be bigger than the biggest yet current contract.
    Contacts have nothing to do with the health of the sport. NCAA MBB is absolutely dying. People are now consuming brands, not basketball.

Default Re: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We all know the definition of insanity. As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been mum on MBB for the better part of 3 years. As long as we have status quo, we will get these results. Satisfaction is slave to expectation and I can’t think of a better example than Ragin Cajun Basketball.

If you study the situation in detail, Maggard is making exactly correct decisions. I’ve brought this up before. NCAA MBB dying as a whole > SBC Conference has awful leadership > SBC basketball is as bad as it’s ever been > Cajuns MBB has been middling for 20 years > We spent way too much money on a middling coach > no money to buy him out and excuses have been built in every year he loses > People still pay to watch.

I’d throw my hands up too.
    NCAA basketball is not dying. UL basketball is dying because the core fanbase has bought the bs that we cannot succeed because of factors beyond our control. We cannot succeed because our coaches (men and women) cannot or at least have not recruited enough of the right kind of players, and neither of our coaches wins enough games against teams with talent similar to ours, and virtually never outcoach anyone.

Contacts have nothing to do with the health of the sport. NCAA MBB is absolutely dying. People are now consuming brands, not basketball.
    Look at USA Network and Fox’s deals with the WWE. Vince McMahon straight up robbing them on those contracts while attendance and interest is at an all time low.

We all know the definition of insanity. As you’ve probably noticed, I’ve been mum on MBB for the better part of 3 years. As long as we have status quo, we will get these results. Satisfaction is slave to expectation and I can’t think of a better example than Ragin Cajun Basketball.

If you study the situation in detail, Maggard is making exactly correct decisions. I’ve brought this up before. NCAA MBB dying as a whole > SBC Conference has awful leadership > SBC basketball is as bad as it’s ever been > Cajuns MBB has been middling for 20 years > We spent way too much money on a middling coach > no money to buy him out and excuses have been built in every year he loses > People still pay to watch.

I’d throw my hands up too.
    At the end of the day, even with a sport that may be “dying,” teams still compete for championships and go to tournaments in that same environment. We haven’t had the pleasure of doing too much of that over the past 15 years.

6. Default Re: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

Attendance doesn’t suggest death.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_bask...ceYBYtop25.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    At the end of the day, even with a sport that may be "dying," teams still compete for championships and go to tournaments in that same environment. We haven't had the pleasure of doing too much of that over the past 15 years.
    If it's dying or dead in the south drop his salary to 100k and redirect majority of the funds to other sports

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Attendance doesn’t suggest death.

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_bask...ceYBYtop25.pdf
    You can point to whatever stat or article you want. Younger generation doesn’t watch college basketball. They consume sports in a totally different way than we did.

March Madness will always be carried by Vegas and the legalization of betting across the country. But NCAA basketball as a whole is indeed dying.

You can point to whatever stat or article you want. Younger generation doesn't watch college basketball. They consume sports in a totally different way than we did.

March Madness will always be carried by Vegas and the legalization of betting across the country. But NCAA basketball as a whole is indeed dying.
    You forgot the other biggie.

Look no further than the introduction of video game tournaments (NFL Madden for one) and the DRL (Drone Racing League) on your television menus.

Thanks to the electronic babysitters, X-Box and PlayStation, it was easier to do than go outside and sweat. Generations lost to Mario and his successors.

We follow what we knew as a youth. Sonic the Hedgehog was easier than sweating.

Nope, never entered our home.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    You forgot the other biggie.

Look no further than the introduction of video game tournaments (NFL Madden for one) and the DRL (Drone Racing League) on your television menus.

Thanks to the electronic babysitters, X-Box and PlayStation, it was easier to do than go outside and sweat. Generations lost to Mario and his successors.

We follow what we knew as a youth. Sonic the Hedgehog was easier than sweating.
    It’s a great point.

Bringing it back local, I don’t think people understand how bad of a situation we’re looking at. We make fun of other belt schools, but we are literally a generation away from averaging a thousand people a game.

We’ve been irrelevant for 25 years. The fans that we have retained still have Coach Shipley and Bo Lamar dancing in their heads. Once that group assumes room temperature, we’re left with a small group of fair weather fans, little student interaction and sky high prices that most families won’t pay.

It’s a great point.

Bringing it back local, I don’t think people understand how bad of a situation we’re looking at. We make fun of other belt schools, but we are literally a generation away from averaging a thousand people a game.

We’ve been irrelevant for 25 years. The fans that we have retained still have Coach Shipley and Bo Lamar dancing in their heads. Once that group assumes room temperature, we’re left with a small group of fair weather fans, little student interaction and sky high prices that most families won’t pay.
    Well then. We better start winning more to keep walkup fans interested.

These threads are like Ground Hog’s Day.

You can literally pull up any thread from the end of basketball season for the last 8 years and read the same exact content.
    Agree, and that is what infuriates us all. How in the hell is Marlin still around after it has been proven time and time again that he will never get better.

The last straw for me was when he ran his mouth before the NIT game against LSU. He knows nothing of how to put coach anyone and motivated the other team that day to play with more intensity.

Shut up and win you blabbering idiot!

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

You can point to whatever stat or article you want. Younger generation doesn’t watch college basketball. They consume sports in a totally different way than we did.

And for me, its the best time of the year.
    I think its a multitude of things like Zoom posted. I also think its the new normal.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    At the end of the day, even with a sport that may be "dying," teams still compete for championships and go to tournaments in that same environment. We haven't had the pleasure of doing too much of that over the past 15 years.
    Well, what is happening at UL the basketball is not dying. The core fan base is dying. Not trying to be funny. We all know multiple fans dating back to their college days at Blackham that have passed away. The death rate will soon surpass the replacement rate. Many of us complaining are from that crowd.

It's not so much the product. It's a problem the vast majority of the "mid majors" face. Look at McNeese. Moved out of LC Civic Center and Burton. Neither of which they could fill. New arena on campus seats what...about 4k? No, we are not getting a new building. That politcally brokered cavern is our home for decades to come. Or Georgia State. 2k is a good draw for them.

It's up to the marketing minds to fix this nationallly. NCAA won't as long as they are getting major bucks for the NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Well, what is happening at UL the basketball is not dying. The core fan base is dying. Not trying to be funny. We all know multiple fans dating back to their college days at Blackham that have passed away. The death rate will soon surpass the replacement rate. Many of us complaining are from that crowd.

It's not so much the product. It's a problem the vast majority of the "mid majors" face. Look at McNeese. Moved out of LC Civic Center and Burton. Neither of which they could fill. New arena on campus seats what...about 4k? No, we are not getting a new building. That politcally brokered cavern is our home for decades to come. Or Georgia State. 2k is a good draw for them.

It's up to the marketing minds to fix this nationallly. NCAA won't as long as they are getting major bucks for the NCAA tournament.
    Even if it is true, it still doesn’t give this team a free pass if they underachieve.

Page 16 of 17 FirstFirst ... 6 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information