Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

1. Default Re: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

To be critical of Maggard on this issue is fair game. He extended the contract of a coach nobody was stealing. Being critical of how the Big Fish manages to not have an offense, and poor overall defense is fair game. This is a fans board with numerous views.

If you back UL coaches as long as they’re not cheating just say that instead of blaming people who see the futility of retaining this coach. No doubt Big Fish will get to the UL HOF just for longevity. Good chance to the state HOF without having accomplished diddle.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    It’s not even being pessimistic, it’s just reality. The team we put on the floor yesterday should have made the finals. We have talent, not much depth until next season, but the coach is still the same.

Bobby Big Guppy just can’t win big games. He has proven that, over and over again. We are who we are. The most underachieving program in the SBC over the past 15 years and it’s not even close.
    I think it’s funny you say that as others have stated there isn’t a D1 player on the bench of this team (which is ludicrous by the way).

I can’t say I agree with the talent to make the finals in the situation they were in, especially without Smith. To be forced to go on the road and win twice, then win in the semifinals all against teams that are completely fresh coming off of byes is a very tall task.

Not making an excuse just stating a fact, injuries/suspensions played a part in being the 8th seed. Just looking at the guys healthy last night, in conference play alone you had Wesley out 9 games, Hardy 6, Wilson 4, Smith 4 (regular season), Russell 1, and Gueye 1. Spenkuch and Temple both missed chunks down the stretch as well when they could have given minutes here and there. If just the in season injuries are toned down your probably hosting last night if not a bye into the quarter finals to host. This isn’t even counting the guys out for the season before conference play started.

By the way this is not a Marlin defense, I did not like the way things were handled down the stretch last night as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I just hate when it is said that bringing up the injuries this year is an excuse, it’s not as it clearly had an effect. I want to give the guys who played their hearts out to the end some credit, I enjoyed watching all of them this season.

Default Re: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I think it’s funny you say that as others have stated there isn’t a D1 player on the bench of this team (which is ludicrous by the way).

I can’t say I agree with the talent to make the finals in the situation they were in, especially without Smith. To be forced to go on the road and win twice, then win in the semifinals all against teams that are completely fresh coming off of byes is a very tall task.

Not making an excuse just stating a fact, injuries/suspensions played a part in being the 8th seed. Just looking at the guys healthy last night, in conference play alone you had Wesley out 9 games, Hardy 6, Wilson 4, Smith 4 (regular season), Russell 1, and Gueye 1. Spenkuch and Temple both missed chunks down the stretch as well when they could have given minutes here and there. If just the in season injuries are toned down your probably hosting last night if not a bye into the quarter finals to host. This isn’t even counting the guys out for the season before conference play started.

By the way this is not a Marlin defense, I did not like the way things were handled down the stretch last night as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I just hate when it is said that bringing up the injuries this year is an excuse, it’s not as it clearly had an effect. I want to give the guys who played their hearts out to the end some credit, I enjoyed watching all of them this season.
    I stand by what I said about our bench right now. I'll remind you of that when most, outside of probably Wesley, aren't on the roster next year.

I think it's funny you say that as others have stated there isn't a D1 player on the bench of this team (which is ludicrous by the way).

I can't say I agree with the talent to make the finals in the situation they were in, especially without Smith. To be forced to go on the road and win twice, then win in the semifinals all against teams that are completely fresh coming off of byes is a very tall task.

Not making an excuse just stating a fact, injuries/suspensions played a part in being the 8th seed. Just looking at the guys healthy last night, in conference play alone you had Wesley out 9 games, Hardy 6, Wilson 4, Smith 4 (regular season), Russell 1, and Gueye 1. Spenkuch and Temple both missed chunks down the stretch as well when they could have given minutes here and there. If just the in season injuries are toned down your probably hosting last night if not a bye into the quarter finals to host. This isn't even counting the guys out for the season before conference play started.

By the way this is not a Marlin defense, I did not like the way things were handled down the stretch last night as I mentioned earlier in the thread. I just hate when it is said that bringing up the injuries this year is an excuse, it's not as it clearly had an effect. I want to give the guys who played their hearts out to the end some credit, I enjoyed watching all of them this season.
    There is no question that the players gave it their all this season in spite of injuries. If there is one thing that I will take from this team, it's the fact that they never quit in the face of adversity.

Now with that being said, we can't just pick and choose when we want to point to injuries for every time the team came up short. The injury bug was used last season and the season before as a catalyst for a free pass. After awhile, it's like crying wolf. This year was obviously the exception. But I can also name 4 losses off the top of my head where injuries had nothing to do with losing (First Little Rock matchup, Georgia Southern in the Cajundome, ULM on the road, Georgia Southern last night). The Little Rock game and Georgia Southern game last night were two losses where we blew 14+ point second half leads. Obviously, we weren't injured enough to jump to those leads. But yet, people still use that as a reason why we lost those games. Sorry, but I'm not buying that. The Georgia Southern loss in the Cajundome came at the expense of Marlin getting ejected early on for a bad call that shouldn't have caused that much of an overreaction. Granted, he later apologized so it is what it is. As for the ULM game, we had no big man down the stretch to counter their big. And this was after we lead for a good portion of the game. Why is that? Why didn't we have a big man?

So, the point is that yes. Injuries were a burden this year. But we still lost games that could've been won for other reasons other than injuries. What we need to be working on next season is a bench.

5. Default Re: MBB Final: UL 81, Georgia Southern 82

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I stand by what I said about our bench right now. I'll remind you of that when most, outside of probably Wesley, aren't on the roster next year.
    I just think it’s an excuse when in spite of being short handed we blew a 96% of victory. We failed to shorten the game. And there’s a decade of evidence. So what if he’s short handed yet again. It’s always something with Bobby Big Fish.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I just think it’s an excuse when in spite of being short handed we blew a 96% of victory. We failed to shorten the game. And there’s a decade of evidence. So what if he’s short handed yet again. It’s always something with Bobby Big Fish.
    I think it just shows all of his flaws. His roster management has been atrocious. He won big his one year of going all out on transfers.

First Little Rock game Hardy didn’t play, GA Southern at home Wesley was still out. I firmly believe we win at ULM and last night with Smith as both of those games we gave up a lot of easy buckets inside. I still think this team is a 4 or 5 seed at worst even with the big season ending injuries if all of the other injuries and of course the suspension don’t occur.

Outside of crazy injuries next season, no more excuses. Win........

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Outside of crazy injuries next season, no more excuses. Win........
    I’m of the belief that if he doesn’t make at least the 2nd round of the NCAA he should be canned.

First Little Rock game Hardy didn’t play, GA Southern at home Wesley was still out. I firmly believe we win at ULM and last night with Smith as both of those games we gave up a lot of easy buckets inside. I still think this team is a 4 or 5 seed at worst even with the big season ending injuries if all of the other injuries and of course the suspension don’t occur.
    Hardy not playing didn't stop the team from jumping to a 15 lead against Little Rock. The Georgia Southern game at home was still winnable, but the team was without their head coach after he got ejected. And Smith getting suspended does not give anyone a free pass.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Hardy not playing didn't stop the team from jumping to a 15 lead against Little Rock. The Georgia Southern game at home was still winnable, but the team was without their head coach after he got ejected. And Smith getting suspended does not give anyone a free pass.
    Lack of depth is a factor in blowing the late leads. Smith fouled out playing just 12 minutes in the Little Rock game. Having Hardy could have helped. Same thing with Wesley and the GA Southern game, just a chance to have more depth and the best ball handler down the stretch. I’m not giving anyone a pass with the Smith suspension, I’m just saying if he doesn’t make what ever bonehead decision that he did we win those 2 games.

To be critical of Maggard on this issue is fair game. He extended the contract of a coach nobody was stealing. Being critical of how the Big Fish manages to not have an offense, and poor overall defense is fair game. This is a fans board with numerous views.

If you back UL coaches as long as they’re not cheating just say that instead of blaming people who see the futility of retaining this coach. No doubt Big Fish will get to the UL HOF just for longevity. Good chance to the state HOF without having accomplished diddle.
    Express...it has been explained countless times over the years...the extension was granted bc Big Fish hit a milestone that called for an extension...and Big Fish delayed the extension a year to help the Administration, at the time...it was not granted out of thin air

Default Re: MBB: Cajuns vs Eagles Monday 6 PM

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    15 Pt lead with 9 to play.

If you still want to jack 3's, fine. Just do it at the end of the shot clock. Do that, and 9 times out of 10 we win this game.
    Nation—Danny Broussard was on with Foote this morning, and was commenting how brutal the meltdown was. He agreed with your comment—he doesn’t understand WHY, when teams have a big lead, would they be in such a HURRY to shoot—The clock is your friend—take as MUCH time off on EACH possession!! VERY FRUSTRATING—POOR decisions allowed us to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!! Le Sigh......

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    Nation—Danny Broussard was on with Foote this morning, and was commenting how brutal the meltdown was. He agreed with your comment—he doesn’t understand WHY, when teams have a big lead, would they be in such a HURRY to shoot—The clock is your friend—take as MUCH time off on EACH possession!! VERY FRUSTRATING—POOR decisions allowed us to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory!! Le Sigh......
    I love Coach Danny...but he has a lot of nerve...does he still have his guys stand at half court and not play the game to run the clock down?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I love Coach Danny...but he has a lot of nerve...does he still have his guys stand at half court and not play the game to run the clock down?
    Danny has been using a lot of pressure defense and up tempo offense this year. Ironically it’s the opponents that have playing the hold the ball at half court and run down the clock game.

Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 LastLast

Thread Information