Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: BB Final: UL 8, Northwestern 10

UL Baseball BB Final: UL 8, Northwestern 10

The Cajuns take on the Northwestern St. Demons Wednesday night at 6 P.M. at M.L. 'Tigue' More Field at Russo Park.

https://ragincajuns.com/news/2020/2/...k-matchup.aspx

Default Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

https://ragincajuns.com/news/2020/2/...k-matchup.aspx

The Ragin' Cajuns (2-6) recently dropped two out of three against Virginia Tech, but were able to claim their first win against an ACC program since June 14, 2000, when they defeated Clemson at the College World Series.

UL Baseball Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

It's going to be a cold night at the ballpark tonight. Let's right the ship and get out with a W.

5. Default Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

Babs said that they didn’t bunt in the 9th vs VaTech because essentially they just felt it wasn’t the way to go at that moment. Often what you do is how you are feeling. I guess it’s like going for two at the end of a football game when one gets you to overtime. You’d rather risk the game on one play than an overtime because you have a better chance of getting the one long shot than a string of plays.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Ragin' Cajuns (2-6) recently dropped two out of three against Virginia Tech, but were able to claim their first win against an ACC program since June 14, 2000, when they defeated Clemson at the College World Series.
    20 years...I'd have to look back and see if lack of opportunities is the reason or did not get the job done. The statement alone doesn't tell the story.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Babs said that they didn't bunt in the 9th vs VaTech because essentially they just felt it wasn't the way to go at that moment. Often what you do is how you are feeling. I guess it's like going for two at the end of a football game when one gets you to overtime. You'd rather risk the game on one play than an overtime because you have a better chance of getting the one long shot than a string of plays.
    I heard him say that on the radio... but I am not buying it.

Babs said that they "do what they are feeling" (aka go with their gut), and the very next sentence he is saying that baseball is a game of statistics and they use all kinds of stats to make decisions. Don't those two statements contradict each other?

A team batting average of .150 means one out of 7 guys is getting a hit. Seems like that stat right there would tell you what you need to know regarding laying down a bunt to tie the game.

Seems like the stat of 13 runners left on base through the first 8 innings of the game would be an indicator that your team can't push runs across the plate.

Seems like a stat of 13 strikeouts through the first 8 innings of the game would lead you to believe your guys are struggling to hit the ball and you may want to lay a bunt down.

Still can't believe we squandered not only that game, but also the series. Just man up and say that looking back maybe they should have bunted to tie the game.

ANYWAY... let's try to get a W tonight and start a win streak.

See y'all at the Tigue tonight.

GEAUX CAJUNS!!

8. Default Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

Babs said that they didn’t bunt in the 9th vs VaTech because essentially they just felt it wasn’t the way to go at that moment. Often what you do is how you are feeling. I guess it’s like going for two at the end of a football game when one gets you to overtime. You’d rather risk the game on one play than an overtime because you have a better chance of getting the one long shot than a string of plays.
    Assistant coaches are caught between a rock and a hard place.

They are compelled to execute the philosophy of their boss.

They have to be careful not to imply disagreement with their current or previous boss. Even when the philosophies are diametrically opposed to each other.

Deggs said he doesn't squeeze with no outs. Said it's a good way to hit into a triple play. His comments were included in an article in the DA's Monday edition.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    Deggs said he doesn't squeeze with no outs. Said it's a good way to hit into a triple play. His comments were included in an article in the DA's Monday edition.
    Really?!?

I'd love to know how many times in Degg's coaching (or playing) career has his team bunted into a triple play.

...versus how many times he's seen a pitcher strike out the side.

You can't even begin to twist a story enough to convince me the odds of those two events happening are anywhere in the same neighborhood.

11. Default Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    unless he is saying base runners have zero awareness, that reasoning makes little sense.

Bunts are only ever successful because of the delay in the fielder getting his glove on the ball.

Because of that delay the odds of a triple play on a bunt are among the smallest odds in all of baseball. That is unless the runners are ignoring the location of the first out.

jmo

12. Default Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Really?!?

I'd love to know how many times in Degg's coaching (or playing) career has his team bunted into a triple play.

...versus how many times he's seen a pitcher strike out the side.

You can't even begin to twist a story enough to convince me the odds of those two events happening are anywhere in the same neighborhood.
    Losing by going down 1,2,3 is the real triple play to avoid.

Isnt a triple play one of the rarest baseball feats?

14. Default Re: Baseball: Louisiana hosts Northwestern

He is messing with us on the triple play thing. That was probably a joke.

There is no answer other than "I goofed"

I can kind of understand the concept that I don't bunt with no outs. But once that out occurs, bunt the damn ball on the next batter. No excuses there.

How would they even turn a triple play on a safety squeeze?

I can not decipher the nonsense I'm being fed.

Can someone please explain this to me like I'm 5 years old?

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information