Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Let's take the crazy to the Tigue tonight, shall we?

via GIPHY

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Neither am I. Love to watch him play. Have been seeing him since he was 12.

But to move him from a good college player to a position on an MLB roster at this time is a stretch.

May he finish his days as 5 with a boom.
    No one inferred that he's definitely making an MLB roster. You had maybe two people who think a "pro prospect" is an MLB player. Pro prospect, with regards to baseball, is being drafted or signed to to play professional baseball (majors and minors included.) Those who know baseball that were calling him a pro prospect were referencing that. None of those guys said he's a definite MLB player. If someone wanted to refer to him being an MLB prospect, that's another discussion.

Either you are ignorant of that distinction or, as evidence will suggest with the numerous other posts you have on just about every topic on this board, you are here to drag out pointless arguments and be willfully ignorant or purposely contrarian on the topic.

Neither am I. Love to watch him play. Have been seeing him since he was 12.

But to move him from a good college player to a position on an MLB roster at this time is a stretch.

May he finish his days as 5 with a boom.
    Who said he was going to a 25 man roster. Long way from getting drafted to the Show, 5 levels. Did u know that?

4. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    No one inferred that he's definitely making an MLB roster. You had maybe two people who think a "pro prospect" is an MLB player. Pro prospect, with regards to baseball, is being drafted or signed to to play professional baseball (majors and minors included.) Those who know baseball that were calling him a pro prospect were referencing that. None of those guys said he's a definite MLB player. If someone wanted to refer to him being an MLB prospect, that's another discussion.

Either you are ignorant of that distinction or, as evidence will suggest with the numerous other posts you have on just about every topic on this board, you are here to drag out pointless arguments and be willfully ignorant or purposely contrarian on the topic.
    Your conjecture is nothing less than amazing. You have obviously not read any of my post in context. Not surprising, however.

5. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Who said he was going to a 25 man roster. Long way from getting drafted to the Show, 5 levels. Did u know that?
    Anyone who would question his draftability has no clue. He got drafted out of high school. Where he lands in the draft will be fun to watch. I hope he goes as high as some on here are suggesting. All I did was provide a full picture of the player.

Anyone who would question his draftability has no clue. He got drafted out of high school. Where he lands in the draft will be fun to watch. I hope he goes as high as some on here are suggesting. All I did was provide a full picture of the player.
    I agree he is something of a conundrum probably being one of the top 50 woodbat summer players in the country, therefore a projected top draft, AND a player who can't bat .200 in February with a metal bat. Both are undeniable and irreconcilable. That's baseball.

7. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

I'm sorry, but a 5 tool player does not consistently start off slow (3 for 3 on this) and commit 15 errors in a season on defense.

He is a good baseball player that I and most are glad that we have, but has been given way more opportunities than most. Most that have consistently started as he has over the past three years would have found themselves on the bench at some point or for some time.

Save all the grandious. We have gone to games and watched on tv.

For this year, may his slow start end quicker than it has in the past. We need him NOW.
    Vic, somebody had that exact same criticism last year, he’s given too many chances. Somebody else wouldn’t get the same, bla, bla, bla. He’s ended up as one of our best players both seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Vic, somebody had that exact same criticism last year, he’s given too many chances. Somebody else wouldn’t get the same, bla, bla, bla. He’s ended up as one of our best players both seasons.
    Todd Lott didn't get enough chances.

9. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Vic, somebody had that exact same criticism last year, he's given too many chances. Somebody else wouldn't get the same, bla, bla, bla. He's ended up as one of our best players both seasons.
    Therein lies the issue. NOBODY that I can remember has said that 5 has been given too many chances. That is a misnomer. What I have said is that some OTHERS may have faired much better than THEY have had THEY been given similar opportunities. Todd Lott his first two years is one example.

However people on this board are so protective of 5 that THEY interpreted this as a knock on 5. It wasn’t then and is not now.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Todd Lott didn't get enough chances.
    Hopefully Fitzgerald is the second coming of Lott.

And figures it out before the chances run out.

11. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Generally I try to curb my disappointment in players who don’t live up to the hype. I confess I’ve messed up on that too often this past year. Still if they’re doing what coaches ask, and are good citizens it’s on the coaches if they’re not good enough. We asked virtually every player, said you’re good enough.

We are now 15 deep that have played in the field. Who in the hell else is he going to dig from? Who said anything about benching Hayden this year? And for the record, I have never said he should be benched, what I have said was that if others were givin the opportunities he has been given to fail and know they would continue to play, they may have a better chance of succeeding. Todd Lott was one. Some people on this board can't read the English language and are so protective they fail to see or understand the point being made. You can twist things the way you want, however the post you made was and remains ignorant. See Dad04 response.
    Vic I went back and did some reading and owe you an apology. You never did actually call for Hayden to be benched last year. I mixed you up with Joe LeBlanc who actually did call for Hayden to be benched for Lochridge. I think I assumed it was you based on your reaction to my earlier post saying you wanted to say for the record you never called for Hayden to be benched when I never mentioned you or was referring to you. That confused me. Which is a common occurrence.

You did subsequently agree that Joe's position was a viable one based on their stats at the time between Hayden and Loch. Which is not the same as calling for Hayden to be benched, but basically saying that Joe's take was not unreasonable. There were a couple of other posters who felt Hayden should be benched.

So for me saying you called for him to be benched was incorrect. I apologize for that. Your position was that had other guys like Lott, Hannie, Loch, and Frank been given the same opportunities as Hayden, they probably would have done better. Which is likely. Although they wouldn't have done as well as Hayden in my opinion.

You definitely seemed to have a problem with Hayden as you continually referred to him being placed on a pedestal, and denied him being invited to the Cape was anything special because the coaches set it up. I don't agree with that. That does seem like it is critical of Robe as he is the only one who could have placed him on the pedestal as the lineup was his decision. If that wasn't your intention, my bad, I don't know who else would be responsible for that inequity that you seemed to have an issue with. It was Robe's pedestal to place the player on.

My point was that perhaps the coaches are giving Hayden that chance for a reason. The reason being he has the highest ceiling and gives the team the best chance to win when he is on the field. And I think the coaches were correct in their decision, which I think you would agree with for the most part.

Anyway, I wanted to set it straight as I was wrong on one of my facts there.

I'm not Adam Schiff. Promise.

13. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Vic I went back and did some reading and owe you an apology. You never did actually call for Hayden to be benched last year. I mixed you up with Joe LeBlanc who actually did call for Hayden to be benched for Lochridge. I think I assumed it was you based on your reaction to my earlier post saying you wanted to say for the record you never called for Hayden to be benched when I never mentioned you or was referring to you. That confused me. Which is a common occurrence.

You did subsequently agree that Joe's position was a viable one based on their stats at the time between Hayden and Loch. Which is not the same as calling for Hayden to be benched, but basically saying that Joe's take was not unreasonable. There were a couple of other posters who felt Hayden should be benched.

So for me saying you called for him to be benched was incorrect. I apologize for that. Your position was that had other guys like Lott, Hannie, Loch, and Frank been given the same opportunities as Hayden, they probably would have done better. Which is likely. Although they wouldn't have done as well as Hayden in my opinion.

You definitely seemed to have a problem with Hayden as you continually referred to him being placed on a pedestal, and denied him being invited to the Cape was anything special because the coaches set it up. I don't agree with that. That does seem like it is critical of Robe as he is the only one who could have placed him on the pedestal as the lineup was his decision. If that wasn't your intention, my bad, I don't know who else would be responsible for that inequity that you seemed to have an issue with. It was Robe's pedestal to place the player on.

My point was that perhaps the coaches are giving Hayden that chance for a reason. The reason being he has the highest ceiling and gives the team the best chance to win when he is on the field. And I think the coaches were correct in their decision, which I think you would agree with for the most part.

Anyway, I wanted to set it straight as I was wrong on one of my facts there.

I'm not Adam Schiff. Promise.
    Thanks and that is a fair recitation. I had two points.

1. Most are not given the opportunities 5 has received over the last two years considering early performance. Everyone has to give it to 5 for staying the course and performing as he has done to finish the last two years. Yes, the coach was right in that respect. Furthermore, you are correct that getting those chances is not and should not be a knock on the player.

2. While that was going on, so many kids were in the constant revolving door where they knew not from one day to another if they would be in a lineup. It is hard as hell to pull out of slumps when you don't have a reasonable opportunity to play this game for some extended time. 5 did not have to deal with that.

And yes, I did feel that Robe was pressing the last couple of years and that may have cost us players not ever getting to their optimum capabilities. How we were able to keep Lott for that third year after the way he was treated in the first two Is mind boggling.

On a final note, when some on here have propped 5 up like he can do no wrong, I have pointed out additional facts/stats which show the full picture. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: Roug, that’s a lot of work to check on me. Thanks for doing that and not acting like a couple of other dip($)hits have done here earlier in this thread.

I was also very surprised we had Lott three years.

Thanks and that is a fair recitation. I had two points.

1. Most are not given the opportunities 5 has received over the last two years considering early performance. Everyone has to give it to 5 for staying the course and performing as he has done to finish the last two years. Yes, the coach was right in that respect. Furthermore, you are correct that getting those chances is not and should not be a knock on the player.

2. While that was going on, so many kids were in the constant revolving door where they knew not from one day to another if they would be in a lineup. It is hard as hell to pull out of slumps when you don't have a reasonable opportunity to play this game for some extended time. 5 did not have to deal with that.

And yes, I did feel that Robe was pressing the last couple of years and that may have cost us players not ever getting to their optimum capabilities. How we were able to keep Lott for that third year after the way he was treated in the first two Is mind boggling.

On a final note, when some on here have propped 5 up like he can do no wrong, I have pointed out additional facts/stats which show the full picture. Nothing more, nothing less.

Edit: Roug, that’s a lot of work to check on me. Thanks for doing that and not acting like a couple of other dip($)hits have done here earlier in this thread.
    I don't think that the kid could do no wrong, it's just at some point some of the comments become overkill when it comes to Cantrelle. You guys act like players in the past like Conrad, Strenzt or Adams didn't go into slumps' or play with attitudes. Cantrelle has been called a punk and other names, I don't recall Conrad or any of the players in 2014 being called those names for playing similarly, or coloring their hair. The most noticeable difference is that team won and the talent in that lineup allowed players to play through slumps and poor games. Cantrelle doesn't have that luxury, there has been very little talent around him since he walked in the door.

While he may have been given more chances in the lineup than others, it has paid off for the coaches in the long run. Talk to Babs, or JT and ask them how Cantrelle practices daily and his commitment to the game. The difference between him and the others that you say haven't gotten the opportunities is what he does daily and what they weren't doing at practice.

Since Lucroy has played here , there have been 2 players that garnered top of the draft projections, Trahan and Conrad. Hayden Cantelle is the third now to garner such attention. I'm willing to look at stats, but let's look at the stats of the players around him as well. No, he is not perfect but he certainly is no punk and he plays the game the right way. And had this program won more with him on the roster, most of the personal BS would not been posted on this site.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information