Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    What you said is true about Cantrelle last night, but let's remember I heard similar noise from the back of the room about him last season, and look at his numbers at the end of the season. He will hit, I not concerned about him. He has a track record of producing, but there are others in that lineup that need to come through soon.
    If my memory serves, Cantrelle starts pretty cold every season and then gets hot and then reduces to the mean. Which for him, the mean is pretty darn good.He is usually pretty consistent getting on base a lot even when he doesn't swing it great, which is very valuable. His OBP is not as good so far this season as in past years. He is probably trying too hard right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    It’s not the toothpick The toothpick is a symptom
    Is that a baldwinism?

3. Default

What you said is true about Cantrelle last night, but let's remember I heard similar noise from the back of the room about him last season, and look at his numbers at the end of the season. He will hit, I not concerned about him. He has a track record of producing, but there are others in that lineup that need to come through soon.
    I remember the conversations and I agreed with your stance at that time. It’s time for the guy to step up and be clutch, not just a stat sheet filler. The 2020 Cajuns need him to be the super star everyone swears he is. I’m not meaning to bang on the guy too much, but the foolishness he carries with him will eventually annoy people when he’s not delivering in big spots. He’s a JR, he’s supposedly a high round draft pick, and yet people struggle to recall “his” moments? Also, why is Brennan Breaux the leader of this team?

All I’m saying is, there is a little too much noise around him. If you’re going to say “look at me”, you better damn well produce when the lights are brightest.

.309. Good, but not great. Nothing to brag about. Hype shouldn't follow. But maybe we all should believe him and think he's great. We all know he feels that way about himself

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    Is that a baldwinism?
    If not, it should be.

I remember the conversations and I agreed with your stance at that time. It’s time for the guy to step up and be clutch, not just a stat sheet filler. The 2020 Cajuns need him to be the super star everyone swears he is. I’m not meaning to bang on the guy too much, but the foolishness he carries with him will eventually annoy people when he’s not delivering in big spots. He’s a JR, he’s supposedly a high round draft pick, and yet people struggle to recall “his” moments? Also, why is Brennan Breaux the leader of this team?

All I’m saying is, there is a little too much noise around him. If you’re going to say “look at me”, you better damn well produce when the lights are brightest.
    I need to meet MAT. The man knows what he's talking about

I don't struggle to recall his moments and anyone watching last year's team shouldn't either. That's simply hyperbole in my opinion. Go back to his freshman season and last season, he has never started out hitting the ball and this week was no different. And while I agree that he will have to play up to his hype for this team to win consistently, in my opinion it's too damn early to be banging the guy when the lineup around him is also struggling. The guy literally carried the team at times in the second half of last season. It's not potential when you've already shown what you are capable of doing, it's simply seeing the ball and getting comfortable.

2018: .115 over his first 9 games before hitting in 18 out of 20 games
    2019: .125 over first 12 games before 14 gm hit streak and hits in 28 out of 30 games after the first 12

Its coming. Kid has hit for the cycle, had walk offs, 3 HR game, and at the very least set the table more times than anyone else (2nd in runs scored freshman, led as soph.) That's pretty much textbook leadoff guy

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    2018: .115 over his first 9 games before hitting in 18 out of 20 games
    2019: .125 over first 12 games before 14 gm hit streak and hits in 28 out of 30 games after the first 12

Its coming. Kid has hit for the cycle, had walk offs, 3 HR game, and at the very least set the table more times than anyone else (2nd in runs scored freshman, led as soph.) That's pretty much textbook leadoff guy
    This!

10. Default

I don't struggle to recall his moments and anyone watching last year's team shouldn't either. That's simply hyperbole in my opinion. Go back to his freshman season and last season, he has never started out hitting the ball and this week was no different. And while I agree that he will have to play up to his hype for this team to win consistently, in my opinion it's too damn early to be banging the guy when the lineup around him is also struggling. The guy literally carried the team at times in the second half of last season. It's not potential when you've already shown what you are capable of doing, it's simply seeing the ball and getting comfortable.
    I understand that thought process, and respect people that have this opinion.

I just disagree. I’ve seen “dudes” play at this university, and we all know what they look like. To this point, I just don’t buy the hype. He’s a nice player, and I’m glad he’s here. I’ve supported him since before he signed. It’s time to step up when we need him most.

I understand that thought process, and respect people that have this opinion.

I just disagree. I've seen "dudes" play at this university, and we all know what they look like. To this point, I just don't buy the hype. He's a nice player, and I'm glad he's here. I've supported him since before he signed. It's time to step up when we need him most.
    Why the switching with the third and second baseman? If Greene is not good enough to play second base he should not be on the team.

I may be totally off base here but perception is everything. I also find myself second guessing it because I've never met him in person and watching his dad in the past I tend to give him slack. But it sure does look to me like #5 is all about me. And I say that because all of the things he does to draw attention to himself, dyed hair, toothpick, etc. Just my two cents

13. Default Re: Tulane Thwarts Cajuns' Rally, 9-6

Quote Originally Posted by cajun tom View Post
    Why the switching with the third and second baseman? If Greene is not good enough to play second base he should not be on the team.
    I believe Deggs has switched with all that have played second base this year but Dupuy.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I believe Deggs has switched with all that have played second base this year but Dupuy.
    Correct. It's something he started years ago. I think he calls it "hot shot". Probabilities are that ground balls are pulled and fly balls are flared. He arranges his defense based on those numbers. Windy is one of our best defenders, so he brings him to the pull side for lefties. He doesn't switch Dupuis because he thinks his defense is elite as well.

Cantrelle is very flashy, confident, and not scared to put himself out there and bring attention to himself. He also plays with an edge. But I don’t think he is selfish. I base this on his teammates making him one of the team leaders every year since he was a freshman.

He is also a very good young man who has overcome things in his personal life.

And I am bias as I know his father and couldn’t have more respect for him.

At the same time I understand how Hayden’s personality aspects can rub people the wrong way. But it doesn’t make him a selfish or bad person. He does need to play better (offensively) and I believe he will.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information