Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: When is the last time we fielded a team that struggled?

Default Re: When is the last time we fielded a team that struggled?

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Just wait for the first "fire Deggs" thread
    When that happens, I'll have to change my avatar back to the guy eating popcorn and drinking beer. That could get really ugly. We'll know come Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    You can say ‘tis baseball’ only so long before acknowledging tis what ya are.
    We have no idea what we are yet and neither does anyone in the nation after 5 games. Did the Nationals know what they were after starting out 1-3 last year. Relax man. Our first 3 game series is this weekend. It looks like we have a very solid starting weekend rotation, something we lacked last year. We will know more about this team soon enough.

If we get swept and look uncompetitive this weekend yes I’ll worry because the college season is short and a 1-7 hole is tough to climb out of, but I don’t expect that.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun55 View Post
    We have no idea what we are yet and neither does anyone in the nation after 5 games. Did the Nationals know what they were after starting out 1-3 last year. Relax man. Our first 3 game series is this weekend. It looks like we have a very solid starting weekend rotation, something we lacked last year. We will know more about this team soon enough.

If we get swept and look uncompetitive this weekend yes I’ll worry because the college season is short and a 1-7 hole is tough to climb out of, but I don’t expect that.
    MLB plays 162 games in a season and doesn't depend on rankings to get into the tournament. NCAA plays 56 and team needs to have a good-great record with big wins. Can't compare the two.

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedFan View Post
    MLB plays 162 games in a season and doesn't depend on rankings to get into the tournament. NCAA plays 56 and team needs to have a good-great record with big wins. Can't compare the two.
    Most baseball folks say you need about 40 games or 1/4 of the season to see what type of team you have. 1/4 of the season in college is roughly 15 games when you add in tournament play. Not halfway to that number yet. We will be there right at the time conference play starts. Will be interesting to see how the team is playing at that point.

5. Default Re: When is the last time we fielded a team that struggled?

We’ve seen this slow start the last two seasons. Yeah, it got better but it never got good. Being a mid major isn’t the same thing as being in the SEC. The loses are far more critical.

Somebody told me to relax and not worry. I’m not worried, I was just making a common sense observation. There is a false narrative that baseball unlike football gives you almost unlimited time to recover. Somebody made a keen true observation. You can’t get to host in February, but you can kill those host hopes in February. Why is it every year we stumble out the gate? The reason every time is different, but the net result has been common, not very good.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We've seen this slow start the last two seasons. Yeah, it got better but it never got good. Being a mid major isn't the same thing as being in the SEC. The loses are far more critical.

Somebody told me to relax and not worry. I'm not worried, I was just making a common sense observation. There is a false narrative that baseball unlike football gives you almost unlimited time to recover. Somebody made a keen true observation. You can't get to host in February, but you can kill those host hopes in February. Why is it every year we stumble out the gate? The reason every time is different, but the net result has been common, not very good.
    I think making a regional was stretch this year much less hosting. Just getting a winning season this year would be huge then do some housework in the offseason

Quote Originally Posted by ConfusedFan View Post
    Did I not say 1-7 would be a tough hole to climb out of? I’m not going to judge a college baseball team based on a couple midweek games win or lose. Our starting pitching looked really good over the weekend. Are you ready to say our sp’s are as good as our hitters were bad. Let’s get some kind of sample size first. Its not all negative and not all positive. We had a ton of turnover on this team. The book is yet to be written.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I still believe Ben Fitzgerald is the best hitter on this club.
    I'm going with Kimple. He didn't have a fall because he was hurt. I like what I've seen from him. But Fitz will hit with power.

9. Default Re: When is the last time we fielded a team that struggled?

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I'm going with Kimple. He didn't have a fall because he was hurt. I like what I've seen from him. But Fitz will hit with power.
    What a crap shoot - trying to predict the best hitter on a team with a team batting average of .151.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I think we will see a diff team in the next 10 days. Lineup will probably be a little more settled and guys a little more comfortable and able to get in a rhythm. Tough to adjust to D1 pitching playing every second or third game. I think the pitching will do nothing but get better. We need to #standup this weekend and start making up a little ground. These kids look strong. I think we will end up with a little pop.

Quote Originally Posted by BabbForHeisman View Post
    Just wait for the first "fire Deggs" thread
    The "hire Deggs" threads have been around long enough. Now that we got him, lets get rid of him.

I would love to know our record in the new Tigue.

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan View Post
    That's not hard to find. We've been substantially better at home up until this year.

2017 - 19-8
    2018 - 19-11
    2019 - 16-15
    2020 - 0-4

Quote Originally Posted by TheFan View Post
    54-38
    1-2 in conference tourney

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    That's not hard to find. We've been substantially better at home up until this year.

2017 - 19-8
    2018 - 19-11
    2019 - 16-15
    2020 - 0-4
    Thanks I'm too lazy to look it up.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information