Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Get to Kneaux LA Infielder Melissa Mayeux

1. UL Softball Get to Kneaux LA Infielder Melissa Mayeux

Softball is here and with as much hype that's surrounding this team. Let's get to kneaux Melissa Mayeaux.

UL Softball Re: Get to Kneaux LA Infielder Melissa Mayeux

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    Softball is here and with as much hype that's surrounding this team. Let's get to kneaux Melissa Mayeaux.

Can they PLEASE spell her last name correct if they will do a story about her. Mayeux, NOT Mayeaux

3. UL Softball Re: Get to Kneaux LA Infielder Melissa Mayeux

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    Can they PLEASE spell her last name correct if they will do a story about her. Mayeux, NOT Mayeaux
    Well she's in Louisiana, seaux

Default Re: Get to Kneaux LA Infielder Melissa Mayeux

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Well, that maybe seaux, but I married a Mayeux from Avoyelles Parish, not a Mayeaux. And trust me, she gets very uppity when someone misspells her surname.

And the paper wonders why they are losing subscribers. Not only that, but ESPN1420 ran the story with the name misspelled also. And they are the voice of the Cajuns. Go figure.

They can wonder why they are losing subscribers, but it isn’t bc of a misspelled name

bump

let’s reengage that “geaux” debate we had a few weeks ago! i bet you know who doesnt have any players in softball or baseball from freaking france! geaux mayeaux! or geux mayeux!

Well, that maybe seaux, but I married a Mayeux from Avoyelles Parish, not a Mayeaux. And trust me, she gets very uppity when someone misspells her surname.

And the paper wonders why they are losing subscribers. Not only that, but ESPN1420 ran the story with the name misspelled also. And they are the voice of the Cajuns. Go figure.
    i had a prof at usl, he had an advanced degree in linguistics. he was an expert on french names. he used to correct people on their own names. it was hilarious, but he was right every time.youd be surprised how many people didnt know the truth behind their own names not saying thats the case with your wife, but might be worth looking into, lol this was in mid 1990’s he was fairly old, he must have taught all through the 80’s and possibly part of the 70’s.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    They can wonder why they are losing subscribers, but it isn’t bc of a misspelled name
    was it misspelled or was it to be a fun read it is considered endearing by national media when someone else does that, but bad when we do? without double standards there would be none.

this sounds pretty impressive: In June 2015, she would become the first female baseball player added to MLB's International Registration List

11. Default Re: Get to Kneaux LA Infielder Melissa Mayeux

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    i had a prof at usl, he had an advanced degree in linguistics. he was an expert on french names. he used to correct people on their own names. it was hilarious, but he was right every time.youd be surprised how many people didnt know the truth behind their own names not saying thats the case with your wife, but might be worth looking into, lol this was in mid 1990’s he was fairly old, he must have taught all through the 80’s and possibly part of the 70’s.
    Correcting and being indignant about the French language, that’s seaux French.

Correcting and being indignant about the French language, that’s seaux French.
    well played monsieur!

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    But linguistics has nothing to do with how a person spells their name. It would have taken the author of the news article 10 seconds to verify the spelling. Obviously, that was 10 seconds they didn't think was important enough to thoroughly do their job.

Most Avoyelles Parish Families are straight from France. They are not Acadians. The Avoyelles French Language is different from the Cajun French Language.

PS. I’d like to know how Juneau (Avoyelles French). went from Juneau to Junot (Cody).

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Most Avoyelles Parish Families are straight from France. They are not Acadians. The Avoyelles French Language is different from the Cajun French Language.

PS. I'd like to know how Juneau (Avoyelles French). went from Juneau to Junot (Cody).
    Building on the above quote, the Mayeux descendants first came to Louisiana in 1720's, per a historical treatise by Kenneth Myers. "1729: The True Story Of Pierre & Marie Mayeux, The Natchez Massacre, And The Settlement Of French Louisiana." :

"1729 is their story, and the story of hundreds like them who came to a new world with new hope, only to have it dashed and broken time after time. This is the tale of their journey across the Atlantic, enduring a year in plague-ridden Biloxi, making their way 600 miles up the Mississippi River, surviving one of the worst massacres in American history, living in the newly founded swamp village of New Orleans, and finally raising a family in South Louisiana. Today there are a million living descendants of Pierre and Marie Mayeux. But there almost were none."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information