Thread: MBB: Louisiana vs South Alabama

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Now official we will finish the reg season with a losing record
    Yep.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Poor coaching.
    Jalen should have been coached not to cross the free throw line until the ball hits the rim.lane violation.shouldn't have happened.poor coaching.
    We gave up four points on inbound plays. Our defense of inbound plays under the opponents goal should not be that porous. This happens way too often.
    We finally did get Jalen two shots from the free throw line to defeat their zone.after Cedric made 4 of 5 long range 3s.that must have softened their zone!
    Tough loss.
    There are certainly criticisms we can make about the offensive philosophy against their 2-3 zone that resulted in getting very few "good" shots all night. We got lucky to even get the lead back when Russell got hot from the outside and shot us back in the game when we were down 8. However, I don't know how much I can criticize coach on the free throw lane violation. Most coaches work on stuff like this in practice and I would have little doubt that the players have been told you have to stay out of the lane until the ball hits the rim as the shooter. Jalen may have just gotten lost in the moment and shot the gun. You can blame coaching but its likely more on execution. Anyhow, it was a bad loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    It was a questionable call on the four point play. I don't fault PJ for that play. Great shot by the Jag player there. However there was one bad decision by Hardy that may have played a role in the outcome. Tie game right before the half and PJ lets a three pointer go with 16 seconds remaining. Could have taken the clock to 3 seconds. Of course the Jags score at the first half buzzer to go up by two. PJ's shot was open but still a bad decision. Two second half plays I recall also played big role. One was a missed layup by Johnson under the basket. He simply left it short and probably thought he was more contested than he actually was. Another play was a missed layup by Wilson. In this case he stole the ball and had a clear path to the basket. He was caught not knowing whether to dunk it or lay it up and when he tried to lay it up over the rim it rolled out. Every single play counts when you are in the situation we are in and details like that generally cost you. In our case, they cost us every time.
    Wilson had two missed layups to my memory and the missed dunk by Tirus Smith on the put back hurt as well. What's not being talked about is our offensive philosophy in general. Mike, you've discussed Marlin's embracing of analytics but I still can't wrap my head around why we shoot 30 3's in a game when we barely shoot 30% as a team. For everybody out there, that is not a good percentage. In fact, it is dead last in the league but we just feel like hoisting shot after shot out there and many are from extended distance because they are not open shots. Instead of ball movement and getting more open looks in mid range we just keep banging our heads against the wall trying to do the same things that don't work very well.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Wilson had two missed layups to my memory and the missed dunk by Tirus Smith on the put back hurt as well. What's not being talked about is our offensive philosophy in general. Mike, you've discussed Marlin's embracing of analytics but I still can't wrap my head around why we shoot 30 3's in a game when we barely shoot 30% as a team. For everybody out there, that is not a good percentage. In fact, it is dead last in the league but we just feel like hoisting shot after shot out there and many are from extended distance because they are not open shots. Instead of ball movement and getting more open looks in mid range we just keep banging our heads against the wall trying to do the same things that don't work very well.
    I would love for us to adopt the old Denver offense.it use to drive me nuts watching it as an opposing fan! Haha

The definition of insanity

Can someone explain our offense to me? I seem to not understand our goal when we have the ball.

7. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    Can someone explain our offense to me? I seem to not understand our goal when we have the ball.
    Score from far. It’s not working.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Score from far. It’s not working.
    That's what I see. Pass to left pass to middle. pass to right. pass to middle pass to either left or right and shoot. No working inside. no top of the key Thought maybe someone missed something.

9. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    It was a questionable call on the four point play. I don't fault PJ for that play. Great shot by the Jag player there. However there was one bad decision by Hardy that may have played a role in the outcome. Tie game right before the half and PJ lets a three pointer go with 16 seconds remaining. Could have taken the clock to 3 seconds. Of course the Jags score at the first half buzzer to go up by two. PJ's shot was open but still a bad decision. Two second half plays I recall also played big role. One was a missed layup by Johnson under the basket. He simply left it short and probably thought he was more contested than he actually was. Another play was a missed layup by Wilson. In this case he stole the ball and had a clear path to the basket. He was caught not knowing whether to dunk it or lay it up and when he tried to lay it up over the rim it rolled out. Every single play counts when you are in the situation we are in and details like that generally cost you. In our case, they cost us every time.
    Of course it’s impossible to know if that made a difference in the final. Game situations create different dynamics. Still I’d rather have Two more than two less. That was a four point swing.

In addition to Cedric getting hot, one reason We took lead was Johnson getting 7 quick points on mid range plays at the elbow. So there was some attempt to find different ways to attack their zone. Bad charge followed next time they went to him. Looking back at finish we should have made sure no one caught the ball in three point land after we took lead with 37 seconds remaining. Even if they get a 2 point basket or 2 free throws, we then can go for win with last shot. I believe that was defensive plan and apparently someone did not execute their defensive assignment at that time. May have been Hardy but we don’t know the rotation assignments. 75 points is enough to win. Defense was not good enough.

Regardless of whether or not a player executes no college coach should EVER throw their players under the bus by blaming them for a loss the way Marlin’s did during post-game interview.

As stated previously, this is what Hud did during the end of his tenure at UL. Smells like a coach who is desperate to me.

12. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Regardless of whether or not a player executes no college coach should EVER throw their players under the bus by blaming them for a loss the way Marlin’s did during post-game interview.

As stated previously, this is what Hud did during the end of his tenure at UL. Smells like a coach who is desperate to me.
    That’s a long time thing with the Big Fish. What coaches are really saying when they blame the players is I can’t coach competent players, or I recruit incompetent players who can’t be coached.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post

I don't have a problem for the most part with what he said because it was the truth and he didn't throw anybody in particular under the bus. He said they missed layups, open shots and made poor decisions when they couldn't afford to. The issue I have is the philosophy in general. We shot 30 3's for a team that is dead last in the league in 3 pt percentage. Honestly, we were lucky to shoot that because Russell obviously got real hot. If you can't adjust your philosophy to address your lack of consistent shooting, that tells me all I need to know.

I don't have a problem for the most part with what he said because it was the truth and he didn't throw anybody in particular under the bus. He said they missed layups, open shots and made poor decisions when they couldn't afford to. The issue I have is the philosophy in general. We shot 30 3's for a team that is dead last in the league in 3 pt percentage. Honestly, we were lucky to shoot that because Russell obviously got real hot. If you can't adjust your philosophy to address your lack of consistent shooting, that tells me all I need to know.
    The very definition of "coaching" is preparing [and teaching your players to execute] a game plan which emphasizes your strengths, covers up your weaknesses, takes away your opponents strength and forces him to beat you with his weaknesses.

15. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana vs South Alabama

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The very definition of "coaching" is preparing [and teaching your players to execute] a game plan which emphasizes your strengths, covers up your weaknesses, takes away your opponents strength and forces him to beat you with his weaknesses.
    Don’t confuse them with reality. Just waiting for that projected 3 days turnaround in March. Meanwhile I’m just drinking and believing we shouldn’t have ever given him another extension with a raise.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information