Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: MBB New Hire: NBA Veteran Anthony Goldwire

Default Re: MBB Adds Goldwire to Staff

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    From where, he has not coached at the collegiate level. Most of all of his coaching has been at the professional level. Unless he knows a particular kid, I am not sure how that would be relevant.
    It was the reason the previous player development coach was brought in. I'd believe this is the same reasoning too.Same reason Brock Morris was brought on.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    From where, he has not coached at the collegiate level. Most of all of his coaching has been at the professional level. Unless he knows a particular kid, I am not sure how that would be relevant.
    Same question I had when I read that. From what I’ve seen his last coaching job was in the G-League in 2016. Anyone know what he has been up to for the past few years?

Default Re: MBB New Hire: NBA Veteran Anthony Goldwire

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post

Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Basketball Coach Bob Marlin announced on Wednesday the appointment of former NBA veteran Anthony Goldwire as the team's Director of Student-Athlete Development.

The hiring of the 48-year-old Goldwire, who served as an assistant coach for the Milwaukee Bucks from 2010-13, is subject to approval by the University of Louisiana Board of Supervisors.

Goldwire began his collegiate playing career under Marlin at Pensacola Junior College (now Pensacola State) before a two-year career at the University of Houston. While at UH, Goldwire was a two-time All-Southwest Conference performer and the league's Newcomer of the Year in 1993. _

"Anthony is a great addition to our staff,' Marlin said. "He was my first point guard at Pensacola Junior College and laid the foundation for our 1993 NJCAA Championship team.

"He brings a wealth of experience playing and coaching at the professional level. He will be a big asset to our student-athletes and coaching staff as we continue to strive for Sun Belt Conference championships."

Goldwire, a second-round pick of the Phoenix Suns in the 1994 NBA Draft, spent seven years in the NBA where he played for nine different teams. Goldwire also played professionally overseas in Greece, Spain and Italy, as well as the former Continental Basketball League (CBA) where he played on three CBA championship teams and was named to the All-Rookie team in 1995. _

After concluding his playing career in 2008, Goldwire joined the Phoenix Suns' NBA Summer League coaching staff in 2010 before joining the staff as an assistant in Milwaukee. Goldwire also spent two seasons on the coaching staff for the Erie BayHawks of the then-NBA D-League and was an assistant coach on the 2014 Orlando Magic's NBA Summer League squad that included former Ragin' Cajuns star Elfrid Payton.

The rest of the story
    Louisiana AD
    Another Coach with no recruiting ties to Louisiana. Nobody on the current staff can walk into a gym in Louisiana and even be recognized as a UL Coach. It is pretty sad.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    It was the reason the previous player development coach was brought in. I'd believe this is the same reasoning too.Same reason Brock Morris was brought on.
    Why was Brock Morris brought in? Our recruiting is terrible. The guys Brock brought in are a bust. One been hurt his whole career and the other one cant even get to 10 points per game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    Another Coach with no recruiting ties to Louisiana. Nobody on the current staff can walk into a gym in Louisiana and even be recognized as a UL Coach. It is pretty sad.
    He can't recruit off campus. I have no experience as a recruiter, but it seems to me that relationships of this sort are more important with coach to coach, that is, with the college coach having a relationship with the high school coach. I would imagine that, once the kid makes a campus visit, different dynamics are in play.

6. Default Re: MBB New Hire: NBA Veteran Anthony Goldwire

Goldwire wasn't brought in to recruit.

If his role changes, you might have a point.

If his role changes the value of his NBA experience cannot be overstated.

Why was Brock Morris brought in? Our recruiting is terrible. The guys Brock brought in are a bust. One been hurt his whole career and the other one cant even get to 10 points per game.
    Well the guy they really wanted didn't sign with us from his JUCO.

Well the guy they really wanted didn't sign with us from his JUCO.
    Which one are you referring to?

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Which one are you referring to?
    Khadim Sy

Khadim Sy
    I don’t think we were ever on the radar for either Sy or Williams. Both ended up at Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I don’t think we were ever on the radar for either Sy or Williams. Both ended up at Ole Miss
    Sy was the guy they coveted.

Default Re: New Hire: NBA Veteran Anthony Goldwire Joins Louisiana Basketball Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Someone was in this role in the past but moved on. It is not a new position.
    Kyle Carrigee was the last to hold this position.

Default Re: New Hire: NBA Veteran Anthony Goldwire Joins Louisiana Basketball Staff

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Kyle Carrigee was the last to hold this position.
    Any idea what Kyle is doing these days?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Any idea what Kyle is doing these days?
    He's working as a project manager with a local company, not sure who. Known Kyle and his family for many years.its an Algiers thing.

This is much less of an issue in basketball than it is in football. Though Louisiana high schools have produced some really good players, the state is not really talent rich in that sport. That, and the fact that in hoops AAU coaches have much more influence over prospects than HS coaches do makes instate HS relations less important than one ight think. I agree that it helps, just not very much.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information