Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    There should be no middle ground. Its championship and tournament berth or he sees the door.
    I understand that is your opinion and that of several others. However, I don't think the administration sees it that simply. What you think SHOULD be the case and what WILL be the case are likely 2 different things. I would bet lot of money that a regular season title, a loss in the tournament finals, and an NIT Bid does not result in a change. Neither you nor I have much influence on how they see things now or how they will see things 13 months from now. Of course we have no idea what next year will bring or what circumstances will impact those results.

2. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I understand that is your opinion and that of several others. However, I don't think the administration sees it that simply. What you think SHOULD be the case and what WILL be the case are likely 2 different things. I would bet lot of money that a regular season title, a loss in the tournament finals, and an NIT Bid does not result in a change. Neither you nor I have much influence on how they see things now or how they will see things 13 months from now. Of course we have no idea what next year will bring or what circumstances will impact those results.
    Lots of dancing here - something this program has not done a lot of.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Lots of dancing here - something this program has not done a lot of.
    That response gave me a chuckle.

4. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

That response gave me a chuckle.
    ✔️

A bigger question would be if we finished 3rd in regular season and saylost in the tournament finals. That's where I'm worried because lets be honest, Marlin is a pro at self preservation. Any time people start wondering aloud about his job, he has a solid year. My opinion would be to still move on but my fear is that Maggard would not pull the trigger even though Marlin has shown he will be forever stuck in that average success range.

6. Default

I don't think an extension is granted with a middle of the pack finish. Don't know if a change is made at that point either. Obviously high finish means he retains his job and a lower half finish means a change is likely. That middle ground is an unknown.
    The middle is not unknown. Marlin has been a middle of the pack coach for a decade and is still here.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    The middle is not unknown. Marlin has been a middle of the pack coach for a decade and is still here.
    And getting extremely overpaid in the process.

And in post-game interview Big Fish Bob hanging his team out to dry blaming loss on blown assignments that were in the scouting reports.

Sounding very familiar to the end of the Hud era.

Oh, and “we didn’t guard good enough” and “defense let us down.”

How about, we are tired of seeing same crap offense year after year from an overpaid coach?!?

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    And in post-game interview Big Fish Bob hanging his team out to dry blaming loss on blown assignments that were in the scouting reports.

Sounding very familiar to the end of the Hud era.
    This man needs to go now! Enough is enough.

11. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Cajun basketball fans are the real victims in this whole situation.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Cajun basketball fans are the real victims in this whole situation.
    But the big basketball boosters are friends with Marlin and like him “as a person”. So he gets to stay.

Seems fair.

Reminds me me of why S Farmer hung around so long.

This is the second straight game where we have blown a lead with less than 5 minutes to go. And we now pretty much have a complete roster without Julien while South Al was without Ajayi.

And yet, they still won the game.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This is the second straight game where we have blown a lead with less than 5 minutes to go. And we now pretty much have a complete roster without Julien while South Al was without Ajayi.

And yet, they still won the game.
    It’s OK, a small portion of basketball fans still support Marlin because he is “a good person.”

Even though, it will literally take years to get younger fans to support the program after this disaster is finally over.

I have seen many “good people” Lose their job due to underperforming.

Page 14 of 38 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 . LastLast

Thread Information