Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    And what I posted is FACT, people are turning away from basketballI played my entire life, had season tickets for almost 15 years with a group of about 20 that sat togetheryou know how many still go? Zeronot one, and it isn’t just a marlin deal. The product sucks, they flop, they jack up shots, majority don’t play defense and now it’s becoming WWE with all the drama. I did look it up myself, I’m not pulling it out of thin air. it’s fine nobody is chastising you for continuing to like basketball. The salary cap isn’t going up as much as expected. Literally just search nba ratings and the entire first 3 pages of results is how much the ratings are down. It’s not the same game at all levels. The China debacle, is in fact a debacle that cost them viewers and fans. It’s only going to get worse IMO and the super teams that can just buy championships will ruin it for the future. Is it really even a salary cap if you just pay a penalty if you go over? Further cementing the hierarchy of teams with all the money in big markets? They turned to making their jerseys a billboard to make money by selling ad Space. Little Rock would have not gotten ina 30-5 team that won a first round game would have been left out without winning the tourney. They say well you didn’t play anyone, but then the “anyone” won’t schedule you. And don’t even get me started on the ___ sho trash that is AAU
    What you literally posted is not fact. Since you started to address NBA, I'm assuming this is what you are using as your argument. Attendance numbers are up, revenue continues to climb and salaries are increasing. Basketball is probably the biggest global game outside of soccer.

If you are discussing UL basketball there are numbers to suggest you would be correct. If you are discussing college basketball, the sport is the biggest attraction outside of the football national title game.

There are like 8 people who post about basketball, people don’t even care enough to complain about it, that’s saying a lot on this board. More people care about parking during the car show
    You are talking about UL basketball. You also addressed the game in general. I think that is specific to the local fans. For some reason, a lot of our local folks tend to be hard up on baseball and football. However, if we were to make a coaching change, I think the interest and enthusiasm would come back, especially with a good season thereafter.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You are talking about UL basketball. You also addressed the game in general. I think that is specific to the local fans. For some reason, a lot of our local folks tend to be hard up on baseball and football. However, if we were to make a coaching change, I think the interest and enthusiasm would come back, especially with a good season thereafter.
    I am not sure just a coaching change would increase basketball interest. I am highly confident a good season thereafter would do so however. Would interest return with a good season from the current leaders is debatable. I do think it would in the second year of success. Whenever the time comes for that change to occur, it is critical we make the right choice. If Dr. Maggard is still at the helm at that time, his track record indicates he likely will.

4. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Well thank God we don’t have a survival bonus. I heard one of the Big 10 Michigan’s just paid their coach a 4.? million dollar bonus for not getting canned, or leaving. The guy, soon after, took a reduced roll. Would be great if Big Fish decides to exit.

What you literally posted is not fact. Since you started to address NBA, I'm assuming this is what you are using as your argument. Attendance numbers are up, revenue continues to climb and salaries are increasing. Basketball is probably the biggest global game outside of soccer.

If you are discussing UL basketball there are numbers to suggest you would be correct. If you are discussing college basketball, the sport is the biggest attraction outside of the football national title game.
    You going to China to watch basketball? NBA will lose fans over them allowing politics to be brought into their sport. Their biggest star is now a SJW with his own show. Take away tournament brackets and half the “fans” wouldn’t give a ___ about March madness. College is continuing to push out mid majors more and more which is what people love about March madness.and why the first round is the biggest draw, underdogs and brackets . Basketball and soccer are huge globally bc the poorest of people in the poorest countries can play it. You just need a ball. Fans are turning away from today’s game, they are attracting wrestling fans who like the drama. The game sucks, load management, stars resting, no defense, jacking up 3 threes.half the league tanking after the all star break.

You going to China to watch basketball? NBA will lose fans over them allowing politics to be brought into their sport. Their biggest star is now a SJW with his own show. Take away tournament brackets and half the “fans” wouldn’t give a ___ about March madness. College is continuing to push out mid majors more and more which is what people love about March madness.and why the first round is the biggest draw, underdogs and brackets . Basketball and soccer are huge globally bc the poorest of people in the poorest countries can play it. You just need a ball. Fans are turning away from today’s game, they are attracting wrestling fans who like the drama. The game sucks, load management, stars resting, no defense, jacking up 3 threes.half the league tanking after the all star break.
    While I disagree with a lot of your reasons you stated, I will refrain from getting into that, however, the same is said about baseball. While locally baseball is growing, I think across the country its more plateaued to the point it may be on a decline. Game times are terrible and MLB has been experimenting with ways to try reduce game times and get more offense. The funny thing is the average fan wants to see offense which is why NBA continues to grow. You list it as a negative but to the average fan, its a positive.

While I disagree with a lot of your reasons you stated, I will refrain from getting into that, however, the same is said about baseball. While locally baseball is growing, I think across the country its more plateaued to the point it may be on a decline. Game times are terrible and MLB has been experimenting with ways to try reduce game times and get more offense. The funny thing is the average fan wants to see offense which is why NBA continues to grow. You list it as a negative but to the average fan, its a positive.
    Crossing half court and throwing up a shot is not an offense. If the nba was doing so well here why do they need to go to China? Why would they feel the need to defend China so much? And condemn one of their own for talking about people’s freedoms? Because they would be up ___ creek without their money. It’s ok, we probably won’t agree on this, doesn’t really matter.

What I just posted to you is FACT. The decline they are speaking of is the anticipated revenue they would have had prior to the China debacle and the Houston GM. They are estimated a $3 million dollar loss in projected profits due to that deal but the fact is the Salary Cap is going up. I mean, we aren't pulling it out of air. You can go look it up yourself.
    The NBA salary cap is not going up. The China/Houston situation is way more than $3m

You going to China to watch basketball? NBA will lose fans over them allowing politics to be brought into their sport. Their biggest star is now a SJW with his own show. Take away tournament brackets and half the "fans" wouldn't give a ___ about March madness. College is continuing to push out mid majors more and more which is what people love about March madness.and why the first round is the biggest draw, underdogs and brackets . Basketball and soccer are huge globally bc the poorest of people in the poorest countries can play it. You just need a ball. Fans are turning away from today's game, they are attracting wrestling fans who like the drama. The game sucks, load management, stars resting, no defense, jacking up 3 threes.half the league tanking after the all star break.

I agree with much of what is said in this post. I particularly think the reliance on the three point game is hurting the sport. Warriors were successful with that philosophy but few teams have healthy Klay Thompson and Stephen Curry on their squads. There is only one Curry and coaches feel to realize that. Every coach I talk to says as soon as young kids walk in the gym they start taking long range shots. Brad Boyd earned his scholarship with the three ball and he said on the radio the proper way to begin a shooting routine is from the inside out. Defenses will adjust one day and begin defending the three first and basket second. That will allow the return of the mid range game which will help the sport. As far as the pro game is concerned, media pushing the super teams in the major markets is alienating the fans of other markets. I myself make a point NOT to watch the Lakers in protest of that system.

10. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Looking at student protesters being brutalized for expressing their fear of a despotic regime. Perhaps it’s not the place of a business leader to publicly be critical of his business partners, but there’s zero doubt about who has the moral high grounds. Unfortunately the players cannot understand that because they’ve been trained to hate the system, and country that’s done more good in the world than the rest of the world put together.

I love ragin pagin

12. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Why can’t it ALL be right?

Yes, we’re in a crap league.
    Yes, the college basketball product has declined dramatically.
    Yes, money in collegiate sports has hurt us.
    Yes, Marlin is a middle of the road coach.
    Yes, the post season system in broken.
    Yes, we’ve missed on recruits.
    Yes, winning 27 games means little to casual fans who want to see their team dancing in March & Yes, it’s winning a regular season title is an accomplishment.
    Yes, our schedule has been AWFUL for years.
    Yes, we lack relationships necessary to get respected programs to come to the Dome & Yes, it doesn’t pay for them come here and risk defeat.
    Yes, we’ve spent too much time making excuses.

For those that still talk about 27 wins IMO, you can’t go from an average team year in and year out, to a super team for one season and expect the crowds to sky rocket. Also, lacking marquee victories MATTERS to sports fans. Fans want to know a “good” Cajun team can compete nationally. We’ve never proven to do that under the current regime. Even if they rebound next season and win 20+ games, that fact WILL NOT change until this staff goes out and starts beating recognizable schools. This is the biggest hurdle back to relevance and I think most people have made up their minds in this regard. 10 years of something is a pretty decent sample size.

13. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

We rarely beat the new standard of this weak conference. And yeah, I know our conference isn’t #34 but it’s half a ss

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Why can’t it ALL be right?

Yes, we’re in a crap league.
    Yes, the college basketball product has declined dramatically.
    Yes, money in collegiate sports has hurt us.
    Yes, Marlin is a middle of the road coach.
    Yes, the post season system in broken.
    Yes, we’ve missed on recruits.
    Yes, winning 27 games means little to casual fans who want to see their team dancing in March & Yes, it’s winning a regular season title is an accomplishment.
    Yes, our schedule has been AWFUL for years.
    Yes, we lack relationships necessary to get respected programs to come to the Dome & Yes, it doesn’t pay for them come here and risk defeat.
    Yes, we’ve spent too much time making excuses.

For those that still talk about 27 wins IMO, you can’t go from an average team year in and year out, to a super team for one season and expect the crowds to sky rocket. Also, lacking marquee victories MATTERS to sports fans. Fans want to know a “good” Cajun team can compete nationally. We’ve never proven to do that under the current regime. Even if they rebound next season and win 20+ games, that fact WILL NOT change until this staff goes out and starts beating recognizable schools. This is the biggest hurdle back to relevance and I think most people have made up their minds in this regard. 10 years of something is a pretty decent sample size.
    You forgot one.

Yes, the "challenge series" the P5 conferenes participate in (such as SEC v B12 this year) is more financially lucrative than anything a mid major can offer.

NBA is a POS I am curious though Who is the SJW you speak of??

Page 6 of 38 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 16 . LastLast

Thread Information