Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    Just wouldn't be right all things considered. Not this year.
    Okay Still not going to watch a poor product on the court. Not this year, probably not next year either.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingCajun08 View Post
    Okay Still not going to watch a poor product on the court. Not this year, probably not next year either.
    Understandable. Question is what happens if a good product is put on the court next season.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Understandable. Question is what happens if a good product is put on the court next season.
    What do you consider a good product?

So we aren't capable of what georgia st has done in this league over the last several years? Horse apples

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    What do you consider a good product?
    One that keeps turnovers below 12 a game, out rebounds opponents regularly, shoots over 45 percent from the field,over 35 percent from the three point line, and over 75 percent from the line. Shoots that well while having assists on about 50 percent of baskets and does all this while playing at a good pace. Of course having solid defensive rotations and being able to finish at the basket at a higher rate than in recent years is part of what is necessary as well. At times this year we have done some of that such as shoot free throws well. We also seem to play good defense for a half or so but that is inconsistent. Example of that is the first half of both games in Texas. 2nd half defense in those games declined considerably from the first. We did well on the boards at UTA and against ULM while we let Texas State out rebound us. Problem this year is the inconsistency with much of that and the shooting has overall been poor. A good product is pretty much what we saw from the 2017-18 team prior to the late season problems. Another thing that interests people is having one guy people want to see. Malik Wilson showed flashes of that potential in early January prior to the knee bruise. Since then not so much. I bet he works hard on all of his game in the off season as he seems to be a driven player.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    So we aren't capable of what georgia st has done in this league over the last several years? Horse apples
    Have you seen their gym teams are not gunning for them like they are us The price you pay when you are the standard you get teams best game.

Would not be surprised, nor if we didn't. We're too close to the forest to see the trees. I expect next season is fish or cut bait, but I'm not the AD.

But if it would happen, most would be happy. Those with agendas other than UL basketball getting back on track.some heads explode, people leap to their deaths off the basin bridge.because Marlin would get a bonus and probably an extension.

200 lbs test line if you're wondering.

One that keeps turnovers below 12 a game, out rebounds opponents regularly, shoots over 45 percent from the field,over 35 percent from the three point line, and over 75 percent from the line. Shoots that well while having assists on about 50 percent of baskets and does all this while playing at a good pace. Of course having solid defensive rotations and being able to finish at the basket at a higher rate than in recent years is part of what is necessary as well. At times this year we have done some of that such as shoot free throws well. We also seem to play good defense for a half or so but that is inconsistent. Example of that is the first half of both games in Texas. 2nd half defense in those games declined considerably from the first. We did well on the boards at UTA and against ULM while we let Texas State out rebound us. Problem this year is the inconsistency with much of that and the shooting has overall been poor. A good product is pretty much what we saw from the 2017-18 team prior to the late season problems. Another thing that interests people is having one guy people want to see. Malik Wilson showed flashes of that potential in early January prior to the knee bruise. Since then not so much. I bet he works hard on all of his game in the off season as he seems to be a driven player.
    It was just two years ago we had this. And, we won 27 games. And, attendance was maybe a couple hundred better. Hence my comment on college basketball being dead in the deep south among mid majors which I've been saying for at least five years. Look at attendance in the deep south among mid majors.not just here. You'll see I'm right.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Would not be surprised, nor if we didn't. We're too close to the forest to see the trees. I expect next season is fish or cut bait, but I'm not the AD.

But if it would happen, most would be happy. Those with agendas other than UL basketball getting back on track.some heads explode, people leap to their deaths off the basin bridge.because Marlin would get a bonus and probably an extension.
    I have no idea what happens next season. Great improvement is definitely possible. That of course depends on how well guys out recover from injury, the ability to bring in a couple of additional quality players, and continued development/improvement of guys playing now. I understand the view that is too many "ifs" to have confidence in a major turnaround. I would be surprised if things are as rough as this season as some what of what I describe above will occur. How much so, I don't have a clue.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    It was just two years ago we had this. And, we won 27 games. And, attendance was maybe a couple hundred better. Hence my comment on college basketball being dead in the deep south among mid majors which I've been saying for at least five years. Look at attendance in the deep south among mid majors.not just here. You'll see I'm right.
    Announced attendance was slightly better. However, actual people in the Dome was much better than now. It will be again if what I describe as quality play happens for two consecutive seasons.

Also people could care less when you win 27 and dont make the tournament. Makes it very hard to have any momentum for the fans to jump behind

We averaged 1,200 more people a game after the tournament birth vs. losing 58 fans after the 27 win season basketball is not dead here casual fans want tournament births

There's definitely a little bit of a difference on announced vs actual attendance this season. And understandably so. But in 2018, the numbers looked a lot more accurate because of the way we were playing and better walk up crowds.

Announced attendance was slightly better. However, actual people in the Dome was much better than now. It will be again if what I describe as quality play happens for two consecutive seasons.
    Not to discount Jay's point totally. Leave the Cajuns out of this for a minute. He is right in that little attention is paid to basketball on the huge majority of southern mid major campuses these days. That is the case even if you have a good team. Georgia State is an example of that. They announced about 1200 when we played there earlier this year. I wonder what Stephen F. Austin is drawing this year after the big win at Duke. I would have to check. This situation is one reason I miss having WKU and MT in the league. Those are not "deep south" schools however. Fans there do pay attention to the game and I think that impacts interest elsewhere in the league. Now having a quality product here and the fact that few pay attention to basketball elsewhere are two different issues. Of course we should strive to put an entertaining team on the court.

Not to discount Jay's point totally. Leave the Cajuns out of this for a minute. He is right in that little attention is paid to basketball on the huge majority of southern mid major campuses these days. That is the case even if you have a good team. Georgia State is an example of that. They announced about 1200 when we played there earlier this year. I wonder what Stephen F. Austin is drawing this year after the big win at Duke. I would have to check. This situation is one reason I miss having WKU and MT in the league. Those are not "deep south" schools however. Fans there do pay attention to the game and I think that impacts interest elsewhere in the league. Now having a quality product here and the fact that few pay attention to basketball elsewhere are two different issues. Of course we should strive to put an entertaining team on the court.
    Again.we can't do what Georgia St has done over the last several seasons? Bull cookies.

Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information