Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Some people just look at the budget and say we are in the red, therefore we don't have any money to do it. LOL. We were in the red 2 and 3 years ago also. Still no list or number of donors that just through up $1.5 million when attendance had already dipped to below current levels. Bottom line is the university knew people would get behind firing Hud and may even get some help from donors although nobody can verify if they funded the entire buyout. All these salary increases someone is sure happened came from private dollars that, once again, we didn't have at the time either. However, the university saw a need to raise pay and knew the public would be behind it. The problem with this current situation is that they don't have the urgency to make this move as they did in other decisions where private funds were needed. Point is, if the university and core fans wanted this move to occur, it could happen.
    I think you just answered your own question. Money has been raised to reward Coach Napier and his staff. The people that chipped in the funds are not willing pay for what they consider to be a poor decision on the length and cost of Coach Marlin's buyout. Obviously I don't speak for all of them, but I've spoken to three that donated money towards the raises for the football staff. They believe like others that the attendance numbers and fundraising for MBB will speak for itself next season and the administration will have no choice at that point.

The second point I've heard and it does make sense is that firing a coach that has had some success here after a season with a depleted roster due to injuries would be a bad look for the program and may hurt us in the next search for a quality MBB head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    There is.
    Interesting. I have a pretty good idea of who is in this club just by seeing the games, didn't realize they were throwing money around like that.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I think you just answered your own question. Money has been raised to reward Coach Napier and his staff. The people that chipped in the funds are not willing pay for what they consider to be a poor decision on the length and cost of Coach Marlin's buyout. Obviously I don't speak for all of them, but I've spoken to three that donated money towards the raises for the football staff. They believe like others that the attendance numbers and fundraising for MBB will speak for itself next season and the administration will have no choice at that point.

The second point I've heard and it does make sense is that firing a coach that has had some success here after a season with a depleted roster due to injuries would be a bad look for the program and may hurt us in the next search for a quality MBB head coach.
    If you look at his tenure here as a whole, there really isn't much success.

4. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Prospective coaches are just like prospective 5-star recruits at a P5 school.

They simply can not envision themselves riding the bench even though there are already a half dozen 5-star recruits ahead of them and already enrolled.

Regardless of why a previous coach was let go, the prospective coach simply cannot envision that situation occuring with him.

After all HE/SHE is going to WIN.

Besides who would even want a coach that declined a job because the last coach was fired for losing, with or without injuries.

5. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Prospective coaches are just like prospective 5-star recruits at a P5 school.

They simply can not envision themselves riding the bench even though there are already a half dozen 5-star recruits ahead of them and already enrolled.

Regardless of why a previous coach was let go, the prospective coach simply cannot envision that situation occuring with him.

After all HE/SHE is going to WIN.

Besides who would even want a coach that declined a job because the last coach was fired for losing, with or without injuries.
    What they are sayin is that he would have been fired for winning.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    If you look at his tenure here as a whole, there really isn't much success.
    Some of the bigger ones serve on boards around here

But look, I’m done fighting this battle. I gave it a good shot, but a man only has so much (p)iss and vinegar. I’d rather spend my time enjoying life. Not much to enjoy around the complex these days.

But look, I’m done fighting this battle. I gave it a good shot, but a man only has so much (p)iss and vinegar. I’d rather spend my time enjoying life. Not much to enjoy around the complex these days.
    We've got September to look forward to for now. Should be fun.

8. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    What they are sayin is that he would have been fired for winning.
    The "winning" that's referenced to as "some success" was under a different contract, pre extensions.

Coaches with long histories of winning are rewarded, then replaced when the winning subsides.

9. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

The "winning" that's referenced to as "some success" was under a different contract, pre extensions.

Coaches with long histories of winning are rewarded, then replaced when the winning subsides.
    He will be replaced. Last year it wasn’t “now” because of previous years “winning” and last years injuries. Now he won’t be replaced because there is no money. Later he will be replaced, however, because this all gets old and it’s then cheaper.

10. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

He will be replaced. Last year it wasn’t “now” because of previous years “winning” and last years injuries. Now he won’t be replaced because there is no money. Later he will be replaced, however, because this all gets old and it’s then cheaper.
    In the meantime the program gets weaker and harder to resurrect. Get a great young coach and all will be forgiven.

11. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    In the meantime the program gets weaker and harder to resurrect. Get a great young coach and all will be forgiven.
    Very young.

Offer $100G for year one.

Incentives up to $500G in year two and beyond.

Very young.

Offer $100G for year one.

Incentives up to $500G in year two and beyond.
    Brad Boyd?

Should we all give you loads of schat for quitting/settling?? Just like you did a few short years back? Remember when you blamed everyone for our results bc of this very same attitude??

The more things change, the more they stay the same. Those donors would rather be in the club and rub elbows than make the call to fire. All you have to do is attend a sporting event and watch the staff rub the egos of those donors. happens every game.

This post makes it clear that you have no clue, just questions. You have no clue about the dynamics when we made the move with HUD and you have no clue now. Maggard has pulled many rabbits out of a hat to get done all that he has gotten done so far and I commend him for that. Just face reality, there are no more rabbits in that hat, so Marlin is here for at least another year.
    And you have conjecture with little else to support it.

Page 31 of 38 FirstFirst . 21 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 . LastLast

Thread Information