Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst . 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Rightso everyone just support this clown show of a basketball program and shut up.

You have been posting this same message for nearly two years yet make every effort here to act impartial to Marlin. It seems as though there are too many fans that are just satisfied to be a friend of the UL basketball coach rather than wanting to support a competitive program.

With this mind set, which you have been posting for multiple years about Marlin's job security, we will see the same tired posts with excuses 12 months from now after another disappointing season.

This Coach is not cutting it and the excuses are way past tired of hearing.

I have to believe that as much as you love the UL Basketball Program you MUST realize that it's time to stop making excuses for this coach. Stop asking posters to just "support the team because Marlin's job is safe" because the fan base does need to make sure Maggard knows this product is unacceptable.

We are past the point of no return. There will be no fan base once Maggard finally decides to move on from Marlin.
    I do believe without success next season a change is likely. That may be the case even if there are a few injuries. No, I do not have any idea how Dr. Maggard will define success. For now, all indications are Coach Marlin will return next season. That is simply a fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I do believe without success next season a change is likely. That may be the case even if there are a few injuries. No, I do not have any idea how Dr. Maggard will define success. For now, all indications are Coach Marlin will return next season. That is simply a fact.
    I think where most differ with you is your idea of "success" is top 4 in conference. Me personally, I'd fire him this year, but obviously not happening. So, for him to stay beyond next year, it's pretty simple.NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    I think where most differ with you is your idea of "success" is top 4 in conference. Me personally, I'd fire him this year, but obviously not happening. So, for him to stay beyond next year, it's pretty simple.NCAA tournament.
    Based on fan apathy, I’m not sure if anything below a postseason appearance next season will be satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Based on fan apathy, I'm not sure if anything below a postseason appearance next season will be satisfying.
    I agree that is what will be needed to satisfy many fans. I don't know what will be enough for the administration however. A second place regular season finish and a loss in the tournament finals may be looked at differently by Dr. Maggard than the fans. You would have to ask him how he would define success. I have no clue what he will require.

Dr. Maggard outlines his idea of success in the Athletic Department’s 3 year strategic plan as posted online. Strategic Priority #1 is the Student Athlete Experience and goal 2 is competitive success. The objective states “Achieve a Top 3 Sun Belt Conference finish amongst all sport programs.” Dr. Maggard is clear about his vision and determined to achieve results. I just hoped he uses this when evaluating Coach Marlin’s performance.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    Dr. Maggard outlines his idea of success in the Athletic Department's 3 year strategic plan as posted online. Strategic Priority #1 is the Student Athlete Experience and goal 2 is competitive success. The objective states "Achieve a Top 3 Sun Belt Conference finish amongst all sport programs." Dr. Maggard is clear about his vision and determined to achieve results. I just hoped he uses this when evaluating Coach Marlin's performance.
    That may mean a fourth place or lower finish in 2021 will result in a change, perhaps that is likely. I know that won't be a high enough standard for some but Dr. Maggard is the one who makes the decision. He is obviously not using the listed criteria this year due to the extenuating circumstances. Not sure if he will use it for women's basketball this year but I bet he gives Coach Brodhead one more year. He may have to meet those same standards next year as well. Baseball will not and should not have that requirement this year due to the new start.

7. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

And yet many have stated he said 4th.

Maybe that’s a temporary goal, but come on a decade into Big Fish and we’ve achieved 3rd or better how many times. Let’s not forget the enviable average of 7th in tournament placement wins. It’s time to cut the cord.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That may mean a fourth place or lower finish in 2021 will result in a change, perhaps that is likely. I know that won't be a high enough standard for some but Dr. Maggard is the one who makes the decision. He is obviously not using the listed criteria this year due to the extenuating circumstances. Not sure if he will use it for women's basketball this year but I bet he gives Coach Brodhead one more year. He may have to meet those same standards next year as well. Baseball will not and should not have that requirement this year due to the new start.
    Is Broadhead the highest paid women’s basketball coach in the Sunbelt conference?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    And yet many have stated he said 4th.

Maybe that’s a temporary goal, but come on a decade into Big Fish and we’ve achieved 3rd or better how many times. Let’s not forget the enviable average of 7th in tournament placement wins. It’s time to cut the cord.
    Fairly certain I heard him on radio mention top 4. If someone heard differently, please acknowledge it now. Either way its a very broad statement.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Fairly certain I heard him on radio mention top 4. If someone heard differently, please acknowledge it now. Either way its a very broad statement.
    Top 3 or 4, doesn't really matter. I now realize how little Maggard cares about basketball. It's just not close to the top of his priorities. And I get it, football needs to be the focal point.

11. UL Basketball Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

4th,3rd,2nd aren't dominating the league unless you also place 1st often and take home a tournament crown pretty consistently. Now every coach taking over a down program deserves four years unless he pulls a Baldwin. Both Marlin and Brodhead have been at this twice that long. Maybe Brodhead hasn't reached eight seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by cajuns80 View Post
    Top 3 or 4, doesn't really matter. I now realize how little Maggard cares about basketball. It's just not close to the top of his priorities. And I get it, football needs to be the focal point.
    Maybe so but if you're willing to pay that type of money to a coach, you would think that the focus is excellence and building a program.

If we want to move to a conference like the AAC we need 2 things to happen that is completely under our own control. One is a complete Cajun Field renovation and Basketball to win big. Marlin Wong win big ever.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    If we want to move to a conference like the AAC we need 2 things to happen that is completely under our own control. One is a complete Cajun Field renovation and Basketball to win big. Marlin Wong win big ever.
    Marlin Wong lol

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I agree but looks like our AD cares about the latter as of right now.

Page 27 of 38 FirstFirst . 17 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 37 . LastLast

Thread Information