Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    It’s all about the 3 days in March. Maybe 4 or 5
    It has been that way for 90-95% of the "mid majors" for years.

Ultra, what size test line you using?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Might be best for both parties if he stepped away from coaching
    He has no plans to do that according to the article. Just like Coach Robe was looking forward to this year, basketball staff believes they will be successful next season. I know many on here are skeptical of that but all competitors believe if they stay in the battle, things will turn around. In fact, recruiting efforts continue to be a focus. Some staff members were on the road yesterday while others made the trip to San Marcos.

3. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

What position do you think they’re interested in? I’m thinking replacement for Lafayette. Guy has been here almost 2 complete seasons and can barely get on the court even with the crazy mash count.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    What position do you think they're interested in? I'm thinking replacement for Lafayette. Guy has been here almost 2 complete seasons and can barely get on the court even with the crazy mash count.
    I am confident they are looking for at least one JUCO inside player. Don’t have any names but I do know a couple of cities they have gone to. I would not be surprised if another point guard was brought in as well. They are also confident in bringing in a local HS player as a walkon wing player. Guy has good academics and has some lower D1 scholarship offers. Basically a replacement for MAson Aucoin with more talent.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I am confident they are looking for at least one JUCO inside player. Don’t have any names but I do know a couple of cities they have gone to. I would not be surprised if another point guard was brought in as well. They are also confident in bringing in a local HS player as a walkon wing player. Guy has good academics and has some lower D1 scholarship offers. Basically a replacement for MAson Aucoin with more talent.
    Stocking the cupboard

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    He has no plans to do that according to the article. Just like Coach Robe was looking forward to this year, basketball staff believes they will be successful next season. I know many on here are skeptical of that but all competitors believe if they stay in the battle, things will turn around. In fact, recruiting efforts continue to be a focus. Some staff members were on the road yesterday while others made the trip to San Marcos.
    The question is what does the staff believe is or would be a successful season? IMO finishing 3rd or 4th in the SBC is not a successful season, no matter how many games are won.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    The question is what does the staff believe is or would be a successful season? IMO finishing 3rd or 4th in the SBC is not a successful season, no matter how many games are won.
    I know the bar for Cajuns Basketball used to be either a regular conference championship or a conference tourney championship year in and year out.
    The bar has been set so low with Marlin that I don’t even know what anyone believes the bar is anymore???

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    I know the bar for Cajuns Basketball used to be either a regular conference championship or a conference tourney championship year in and year out.
    The bar has been set so low with Marlin that I don’t even know what anyone believes the bar is anymore???
    . I understand a bar of competing year in and year out for championships, but in the 45 years since the death penalty, 7 tournament championships and 5 regular season championships; 3 which overlapped. Which means in 45 years, we won a championship of either type 9 years. So 80% of the time, we have not met the bar.

I do agree it’s been too long since the NCAA’s, but the year in and out thing was pre death penalty. That needs Maggard’s attention.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Louisiana_Ragin%27_Cajuns_men%27s_basketball

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    . I understand a bar of competing year in and year out for championships, but in the 45 years since the death penalty, 7 tournament championships and 5 regular season championships; 3 which overlapped. Which means in 45 years, we won a championship of either type 9 years. So 80% of the time, we have not met the bar.

I do agree it’s been too long since the NCAA’s, but the year in and out thing was pre death penalty. That needs Maggard’s attention.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loui.27s_basketball
    If the bar is winning the whole thing

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    If the bar is winning the whole thing
    Bingo! We want it to be, but obviously, falling short has long been accepted. The mentality of the Blackham days are long gone.

Even if the entire league goes all in for MBB, there only can be one winner, and someone will finish last.

UL Basketball Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Bingo! We want it to be, but obviously, falling short has long been accepted. The mentality of the Blackham days are long gone.
    But there is absolutely no valid reason to not bring that mentality back. Just lots of excuses.

12. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

VO we’ve , people like you and me, clearly been thinking about MBB differently than our university leaders. If we by serendipity hired the next great coach they’d usher him out ASAP. Can’t have that excessive winning going on around here.

Even if the entire league goes all in for MBB, there only can be one winner, and someone will finish last.
    So? You need the mentality of trying to strive for excellence. Do you hear Napier or Glasco or Deggs talking about finishing top 4 as a goal or excuses as to why things didn't go their way? No, I don't either.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So? You need the mentality of trying to strive for excellence. Do you hear Napier or Glasco or Deggs talking about finishing top 4 as a goal or excuses as to why things didn't go their way? No, I don't either.
    Because basketball is dead in the south or that's the excuse yet basketball continues to be the easiest path for success for Mid majors among the major sport

But that’s part of the issue. The standard of a lot of the basketball fans here is more of a “woe is me” attitude. Also, there’s a mentality that lingers when we don’t succeed of “well, I guess that’s the way it is now.” That’s why fans turn away and go elsewhere. The whole “Mission is March” campaign back in 2014 was perfect because it gave the fans an incentive to look forward to. Now, we just throw our hands up and say “oh well.”

Page 2 of 38 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information