Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunStrong View Post
    Crazy thing is, that with the guys getting back healthy, Its not far cry to say that we could win 3 games in March. The league as a whole is weak. We could easily win 3 games and get back to the NCAA with a losing record. That would be sweat.
    We likely will need to win 5 games this year due to the way the tournament is set up. All teams who finish in the 7 to 10 spots face that situation. Tough challenge considering our roster limitations. Teams 5 and 6 need to win four, teams 3 and 4 need to win three, while teams 1 and 2 need to win two.

Crazy thing is, that with the guys getting back healthy, Its not far cry to say that we could win 3 games in March. The league as a whole is weak. We could easily win 3 games and get back to the NCAA with a losing record. That would be sweat.
    Marlin has won multiple games in the tournament 1 time in his career here . yeah

What?? What guys are you getting back healthy? We cant even win 2 games straight right now.

No WAY. and I mean NO WAY we win the conference tourney.

5. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You would consider this year a great season with an NCAA tournament birth? If we're lucky, we'd barely win 15 games but that's a great season?
    No, I said the sweet sixteen. Still no extension. I知 recognizing his exceptional injury list as keeping him from his normal abysmal mediocrity. So yeah if he somehow goes to the sweet sixteen that痴 more than a lucky stretch.

6. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    I am not Express, but I do not consider a fluke win in the conference tournament and a play in game loss a great season it is a financial windfall, but not a great season. In Marlin's tenure, he has had only three seasons that I would consider good, his first [2nd place in conference regular season] the 2014 NCAA tournament year and the 2018 27 win year. He has not had a great season. A great season would be 25+ wins, at least 2nd in regular season, winning the conference tournament and earning a 12 or better seed in the NCAA, or first in regular season and a loss in the finals of the conference tournament with a deep run in the NIT That 12 seed would require us to play and win out of conference games against much better competition than Marlin is willing or able to schedule.
    I知 not expecting it to be a reality, but sweet sixteen with the injuries is pretty special. Again not special enough to get another extension, but it痴 probably already baked into the current contract.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    No, I said the sweet sixteen. Still no extension. I'm recognizing his exceptional injury list as keeping him from his normal abysmal mediocrity. So yeah if he somehow goes to the sweet sixteen that's more than a lucky stretch.
    Being a sweet sixteen would be uncharted D-1 territory for UL, that's a nice goal. We almost had a coach with a 251-320 lifetime record get us there. And had 7 winning seasons in a 20 year career. Stars aligned.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA.bids_by_school

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Being a sweet sixteen would be uncharted D-1 territory for UL, that's a nice goal.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NCAA.bids_by_school
    I agree, but after 10 years of mediocrity, an unreasonably high standard is a reasonable demand.

I agree, but after 10 years of mediocrity, an unreasonably high standard is a reasonable demand.
    I was editing when you posted. Sometimes a coach can get really lucky with a few recruiting classes in a row and hit gold and win despite himself.

I am not Express, but I do not consider a fluke win in the conference tournament and a play in game loss a great season it is a financial windfall, but not a great season. In Marlin's tenure, he has had only three seasons that I would consider good, his first [2nd place in conference regular season] the 2014 NCAA tournament year and the 2018 27 win year. He has not had a great season. A great season would be 25+ wins, at least 2nd in regular season, winning the conference tournament and earning a 12 or better seed in the NCAA, or first in regular season and a loss in the finals of the conference tournament with a deep run in the NIT That 12 seed would require us to play and win out of conference games against much better competition than Marlin is willing or able to schedule.
    I would agree. I was just curious to know why he responded like he did. There is no way I would consider this a successful season, even if it ended in a tournament birth.

11. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Unsuccessful seasons with a happy endings are never called successful. There are other adjectives that better describe the unfolding of events.

12. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Unsuccessful seasons with a happy endings are never called successful. There are other adjectives that better describe the unfolding of events.
    Happy endings are usually a measure of success.

13. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Happy endings are usually a measure of success.
    Merely surviving a train wreck may be deemed a happy ending, but few would call the trip a success.

14. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Merely surviving a train wreck may be deemed a happy ending, but few would call the trip a success.
    You are not feeling the love.

Well, this train ride of a bb season seems to never have been able to get on track.

Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 28 . LastLast

Thread Information