Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

1. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Save money by keeping the highest paid coach in the league?
    $1,000,000 plus what you pay the new coach is usually more than $500,000

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    His buyout drops to 400 K on march 31st bud

3. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    His buyout drops to 400 K on march 31st bud
    That makes the call much closer.

That makes the call much closer.
    Financially it’s an easy decision, we are $5M in the red and have a lame duck coach who has lost casual support of the Acadiana area. A new hire would give us a bump in excitement and attendance with a chance to turn MBB into a money maker for the university. Instead we currently have Bobby Big Guppy making a fool of himself on the sidelines and he will only win 15 games of he is lucky.

It’s time to make a change. The expectations should be higher than 1 NCAA appearance in a decade. We are better than that.

Big game on the road tonight.

South Alabama (-7). Ya'll think the cajuns can pull it out?

From a picks website:
    The Jaguars are 24-11-2 ATS in their last 37 Thursday games and 2-5 ATS in their last seven home games. The over is 6-2 in South Alabama’s last eight home games and 5-1 in their last six overall.

Meanwhile, the Cajuns are 5-12-1 ATS in their last 18 Thursday games and 1-6-1 ATS in their last eight after an ATS loss. Louisiana is 4-1 ATS in the last five overall and the over is 3-1-1 in their last five overall.

Louisiana has been a part of two pretty intense games in their last pair; the Cajuns have scored a combined 159 points over that time while giving up 157 overall on the other side. Louisiana can score in bursts, but they often finish sub-60 when they’re not on.

As for South Alabama, they’ve been pretty reliable scoring-wise over their last six, with at least 70 points in each game. If the Cajuns come in hot it could get interesting but I feel better about South Alabama on the cover here.

Pick:
    South Alabama Jaguars -7

6. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Picking a spread on basketball is a fool’s errand. The unknowable is end of game fouls and potential free throws. Yes, you can probably figure out how consistent they sink um at the end, but it can erase a lead or make a game appear uncompetitive.

Just pick the Cajuns moneyline +230

Think again

9. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Think again
    ok, That for now and after March, $400,000 plus what you pay a new coach is usually more than $500,000. And to think that a new coach will boost revenues from attendance immediately, I point you to Football.

ok, That for now and after March, $400,000 plus what you pay a new coach is usually more than $500,000. And to think that a new coach will boost revenues from attendance immediately, I point you to Football.
    We are at a level of diminishing returns with this coach and program. A reset is needed. It's hard to put an economic impact on a change prior to said change happening. The longer the program continues to go on this path, the harder it is to recover those attendance numbers you speak of. At some point, enough is enough.

11. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

And to think that a new coach will boost revenues from attendance immediately, I point you to Football.
    Not football in a vacuum.

You forget how the administration tried to use the new FB hire to create an artificial financial windfall and how it unfortunatly backfired.

12. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

We are at a level of diminishing returns with this coach and program. A reset is needed. It's hard to put an economic impact on a change prior to said change happening. The longer the program continues to go on this path, the harder it is to recover those attendance numbers you speak of. At some point, enough is enough.
    That is all and good, however someone needs to write the check for the reset when it happens. I don't see anyone jumping up to do that and the University does not have the money to do it. So, there you go.

That is all and good, however someone needs to write the check for the reset when it happens. I don't see anyone jumping up to do that and the University does not have the money to do it. So, there you go.
    Nobody has been asked to do so. According to the administration, basketball was the one sport they were not concerned about. People used the buyout as a reason this wouldn't or couldn't happen but they also thought the buyout was more than double what it really is. Now that it is manageable amount, harder questions should be asked of the administration.

Mike, the question is not about improvement. That is given that if things don't drastically improve a change will finally take place. I think the bigger concern is what if things stay the same? I do not believe we will win the conference next year and I don't believe we'll be in the bottom 1/3 of the league either. Problem is what happens when we finish 4th with one of the more experienced teams in the league and a relatively healthy roster? Concern is that it is likely enough to get an extension for a middle of the road season.
    I don't think an extension is granted with a middle of the pack finish. Don't know if a change is made at that point either. Obviously high finish means he retains his job and a lower half finish means a change is likely. That middle ground is an unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't think an extension is granted with a middle of the pack finish. Don't know if a change is made at that point either. Obviously high finish means he retains his job and a lower half finish means a change is likely. That middle ground is an unknown.
    There should be no middle ground. Its championship and tournament berth or he sees the door.

Page 13 of 38 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 23 . LastLast

Thread Information