Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Or we can save money we don't have and give him a couple more years as a result of circumstances.
    Or he could be a reason why we don't have the money in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Just presenting facts and a some guesses at what will happen in future. Some believe we will not be much better next season and present that as fact when it is only a prediction. I will not predict either way. I do agree that when Dr. Maggard is ready to make the next hire he will want a stronger resume than the 10 years here. That is besides the point at this stage as the current coach is still under contract. A poor or middle of the pack season in 2020-21 will likely result in a change as the buyout continues to drop.
    I was one who was very adamant that there was absolutely no way the university would buy out Hud and Fire him with the buyout being so high, much higher than marlins and he had much more success on the field. A coach is always under contract, until he isn’t

True, but as CajunT pointed out, a new staff member would not be coming on board this late in the season unless the plan was to retain the head guy.

True, but as CajunT pointed out, a new staff member would not be coming on board this late in the season unless the plan was to retain the head guy.
    I’m not saying he will be gone but you keep bringing up the buyout. The buyout is always too high until somebody is willing to pay it.

5. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I'm not saying he will be gone but you keep bringing up the buyout. The buyout is always too high until somebody is willing to pay it.
    Well, lots of vocals on this board but apparently none with a check. He will be here for a while. Needs another chance with all the injuries, etc. Building around him.

WBB actually played well against Troy. They simply did not make the shots they did at Troy and were not physical enough to get rebounds. The two games prior were very disappointing. That inconsistency has their coaching staff very frustrated.
    You are correct about rebounding. Gave up 20+ offensive rebounds to Troy which means either we lack height, or not physical/athletic enough, or my observation, both. WBB should win the balance of their regular season games against the lesser SBC teams. We’re a middle of the pack SBC team on a good day.

One thought on Marlin.10 years on state part of salary, is he eligible for retirement when age is met? Asking for a friend.

7. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Just presenting facts and a some guesses at what will happen in future. Some believe we will not be much better next season and present that as fact when it is only a prediction. I will not predict either way. I do agree that when Dr. Maggard is ready to make the next hire he will want a stronger resume than the 10 years here. That is besides the point at this stage as the current coach is still under contract. A poor or middle of the pack season in 2020-21 will likely result in a change as the buyout continues to drop.
    If your resume isn’t good enough to get you a job here, then after a decade it shouldn’t be good enough to keep you hired here.

I know casual support is over. That does not change fact he is here for at least another year. I don't know what Dr. Maggard will require next season for that to continue to be the case. If I would guess I would say at least a top three league finish. I know that won’t be good enough for some. I am just guessing at what would be good enough for the administration.
    Do you Not agree that supporters like you, who deep down know Marlin is killing this program, yet still suppport him, are to blame for Marlin getting yet another year to drag down this proud Baskettball program?

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Do you Not agree that supporters like you, who deep down know Marlin is killing this program, yet still suppport him, are to blame for Marlin getting yet another year to drag down this proud Baskettball program?
    Do not agree I have anything to do with who coaches here. That is Dr. Maggard's decision and his alone. I have not asked him what his plans are here and I don't know what his thinking is in this regard. The fact a new staff member just came on board tells me no changes are planned. Well I guess Dr. Savoie has final say but I doubt he would not go along with the AD recommendAtion. As far as next year goes, I have no idea what it will bring. For those of you who are certain it will be another struggle, some Vegas bets may be in order.

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    Man get out of here with this crapMike is a great fan.I guarantee you Dr. Maggard isn’t keeping a Coach around bc a few die hard fans have become friends with a coach and would be disappointed.this is a BS post to call Mike out like this

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I’m not saying he will be gone but you keep bringing up the buyout. The buyout is always too high until somebody is willing to pay it.
    The buyout is not as high as some thought it would be. I believe if he's fired after March 31st it goes to $475,000. Some people thought it was around $1 million. It's not even close to that high.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Man get out of here with this crapMike is a great fan.I guarantee you Dr. Maggard isn’t keeping a Coach around bc a few die hard fans have become friends with a coach and would be disappointed.this is a BS post to call Mike out like this
    ThAnks for Kind words. Rest assured I realize this is a business and change will occur at some point without improvement. Obviously it has to be a substantial move in the right direction next season.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    The buyout is not as high as some thought it would be. I believe if he's fired after March 31st it goes to $475,000. Some people thought it was around $1 million. It's not even close to that high.
    Buyout is probably manageable if they really want to make a change. Indications are that is not the case however. Buyout is even less after next season so it probably won’t be much of a factor when it comes to making a decision at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Or we can save money we don’t have and give him a couple more years as a result of circumstances.
    Save money by keeping the highest paid coach in the league?

ThAnks for Kind words. Rest assured I realize this is a business and change will occur at some point without improvement. Obviously it has to be a substantial move in the right direction next season.
    Mike, the question is not about improvement. That is given that if things don't drastically improve a change will finally take place. I think the bigger concern is what if things stay the same? I do not believe we will win the conference next year and I don't believe we'll be in the bottom 1/3 of the league either. Problem is what happens when we finish 4th with one of the more experienced teams in the league and a relatively healthy roster? Concern is that it is likely enough to get an extension for a middle of the road season.

Page 12 of 38 FirstFirst . 2 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 22 . LastLast

Thread Information