Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Default Sorry can't fire Marlin

Just wouldn't be right all things considered. Not this year.

2. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by ultracajun View Post
    Just wouldn't be right all things considered. Not this year.
    😂😂😂😂😆

What is your motivation. You just needed to go trolling.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    😂😂😂😂😆

What is your motivation. You just needed to go trolling.
    I’ll fish with the best of ‘em.

But he’s likely right. Marlin will get another year because of the injuries, and I suppose that’s probably the right thing.

Though I do agree we are not getting our money’s worth from him. Not close.

Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I'll fish with the best of 'em.

But he's likely right. Marlin will get another year because of the injuries, and I suppose that's probably the right thing.

Though I do agree we are not getting our money's worth from him. Not close.
    At this stage, we all know it is highly unlikely basketball program leadership will change at the end of the season. The article by Kevin Foote which I have linked below probably bolsters that view. I knew the last year had been tough for he and the program but not to the extent outlined in the article.

http://www.theadvocate.com/acadiana/...RWPkt_r84KrH5E

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    At this stage, we all know it is highly unlikely basketball program leadership will change at the end of the season. The article by Kevin Foote which I have linked below probably bolsters that view. I knew the last year had been tough for he and the program but not to the extent outlined in the article.

Might be best for both parties if he stepped away from coaching

This year has been a wash to be honest. Even though I watch every game we all know that this year will unfortunately end up with a losing record and no post season. We all understand that Maggard will do nothing about the situation in the short term. Most people's views on why we need new leadership really have little to do with this year regardless. I know my view is mostly from having a decade of evidence to what we can expect. It's not about this year. It's about the past 10 years. What people see over that time period that tell them that he should be our coach for the next X amount of years is beyond me but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    This year has been a wash to be honest. Even though I watch every game we all know that this year will unfortunately end up with a losing record and no post season. We all understand that Maggard will do nothing about the situation in the short term. Most people's views on why we need new leadership really have little to do with this year regardless. I know my view is mostly from having a decade of evidence to what we can expect. It's not about this year. It's about the past 10 years. What people see over that time period that tell them that he should be our coach for the next X amount of years is beyond me but oh well.
    This

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post

Yes, I would agree with the tragedy that the program and university dealt with last year is more than we all probably understand.

It’s all about the 3 days in March. Maybe 4 or 5

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    This
    I also want to make it clear. I have no ill feelings towards coach Marlin...at all. I find him to be a good guy and role model for our players. Sometimes programs just need a reset. Sometimes a situation just gets to a point where both parties are better off moving forward and to better things. I think that is where we are with Marlin and staff. New energy and new blood is what is needed the most.

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    It’s all about the 3 days in March. Maybe 4 or 5
    And it shouldn't be

I also want to make it clear. I have no ill feelings towards coach Marlin...at all. I find him to be a good guy and role model for our players. Sometimes programs just need a reset. Sometimes a situation just gets to a point where both parties are better off moving forward and to better things. I think that is where we are with Marlin and staff. New energy and new blood is what is needed the most.
    I don’t think it’s a personal thing with fans who feel that it might be a time for a change. Coach Marlin is a first class guy. But the ones who do think it’s time for that change believe that the product on the court could be better than what they have seen. At least that’s the vibe I get when I talk to fans around town.

There’s always going to be a loyal basketball following that will be at every game win or lose. And that’s awesome. But if things don’t go as planned next season, will that be enough keep this coaching staff? That’s up for Dr. Maggard and his crew to decide.

Read the article, coach has endured a lot. You can't help but feel for the guy and his family. Having said that, what Zeph wrote in earlier post is spot on. I'm not an insider so from the outside the program looks like it's being nursed along year to year. It was very apparent there was a strategy to reposition UL football with a culture change. Our basketball strategy appears to be nursing it along. Actually that's not a strategy. We enjoyed a pretty good basketball culture for decades where almost every season the fan base could reasonably expect we had a strong chance of making the postseason. That hope has faded, reflected in the program's overall performance for almost 15 years now. I'm still hopeful the University will revisit the strategy for MBB but expectations are lowered from the program's ongoing multi-season trajectory that chances are small of reaching the NCAAs.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Read the article, coach has endured a lot. You can't help but feel for the guy and his family. Having said that, what Zeph wrote in earlier post is spot on. I'm not an insider so from the outside the program looks like it's being nursed along year to year. It was very apparent there was a strategy to reposition UL football with a culture change. Our basketball strategy appears to be nursing it along. Actually that's not a strategy. We enjoyed a pretty good basketball culture for decades where almost every season the fan base could reasonably expect we had a strong chance of making the postseason. That hope has faded, reflected in the program's overall performance for almost 15 years now. I'm still hopeful the University will revisit the strategy for MBB but expectations are lowered from the program's ongoing multi-season trajectory that chances are small of reaching the NCAAs.
    You’re onto something here. What frustrated me last season were constant reasons of why we can’t succeed. “Everyone is out to get us.” “Basketball is dead in the south.” Sorry, but with the resources we have and the money we are investing, don’t give me that nonsense. I’m very faithful that this administration will figure it out one way or the other.

15. Default Re: Sorry can't fire Marlin

What would Marlin supporters say if we hired a guy with Marlin’s current resume? I strongly believe almost to a man they’d think Maggard had lost it. If you wouldn’t hire him why did we give him an extension. Yes you’re right, it’s about his body of work, not this unfortunate season or even last year.

Page 1 of 38 1 2 3 4 11 ... LastLast

Thread Information