Thread: Ron Roberts is gone.

1. Default Re: Ron Roberts is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    He taught Toney just like he taught Aranda.we will be fine
    Is Aranda known for "in-game" pivots?

2. Default Re: Ron Roberts is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Is Aranda known for "in-game" pivots?
    This is football. I think pivots are used in basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Agree we should congratulate him and wish him well. Hard to blame him for taking this opportunity. Has to be a substantial pay increase.
    Anyone know what coach Roberts was making and will make in Baylor?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't know if you can teach in game pivots on defense. Seems like Roberts had a sixth sense.
    Every great coach has that 6th sense, a young coach just needs the opportunity to show it at a higher level like, defensive coordinator!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Sure, but Waco is only 95 miles from Dallas and 101 miles from Austin. There is plenty of things to do on the weekends in either place during the off-season. Lawrence Kansas, Kansas City is close by but it won't ever be confused with Dallas and Austin.

Let me also add, Baylor has done a tremendous job of upgrading their facilities. If you ever have a chance to tour their athletics complex, you will be impressed.
    You are so right, CajunT. Not many programs can you drive your Yacht up near stadium 🏟 parking and tailgate then have a brief walk into the stadium!

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    Waco is OK. You're 2 hrs from Austin or Dallas.but it's no Ruston. 🤟
    There is a huge Military Base there with over 40 square miles of training area. Fort Hood

7. Default Re: Ron Roberts is gone.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    This is football. I think pivots are used in basketball.
    Is basketball a metaphor for tactics?

Default Re: Ron Roberts is gone.

Obviously losing Roberts as DC is a blow. For some reason, I have confidence in Toney to step up and do that job. However, I am really concerned about the coaching of the LB position. I think this is where we could potentially feel the loss, more than the DC calls.

The improvement we saw with Boudreaux, Gardner, McCaskill, etc was huge from the Tulane bowl game to this season.

That having been said, Coach Napier seems to have a really good eye for coaches as well, so I am confident he will bring someone talented in, but there will be a learning curve.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    Obviously losing Roberts as DC is a blow. For some reason, I have confidence in Toney to step up and do that job. However, I am really concerned about the coaching of the LB position. I think this is where we could potentially feel the loss, more than the DC calls.

The improvement we saw with Boudreaux, Gardner, McCaskill, etc was huge from the Tulane bowl game to this season.

That having been said, Coach Napier seems to have a really good eye for coaches as well, so I am confident he will bring someone talented in, but there will be a learning curve.
    A lot of that improvement was scheme change rather than player development. When we went 3 man front in the conference title game, App gashed us up the middle in the run game, like they did last season and Tulane did in the bowl game. 4 man front decreased the need for speed at MLB, and allowed our guys there to do what they do well, which is read and tackle, without having to worry too much about cutback runs.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    There is a huge Military Base there with over 40 square miles of training area. Fort Hood
    Technically, Fort Hood is 45 minutes away from Waco, but the entire Central corridor in Texas from Dallas down to Austin is all better than what you'll find in Rust-ON

I guess he's a big Chip and Joanne fan?

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    A lot of that improvement was scheme change rather than player development. When we went 3 man front in the conference title game, App gashed us up the middle in the run game, like they did last season and Tulane did in the bowl game. 4 man front decreased the need for speed at MLB, and allowed our guys there to do what they do well, which is read and tackle, without having to worry too much about cutback runs.
    I agree the LBs benefitted from improved scheme and DL play, but they were definitely more gap sound and in the right position much more this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    I agree the LBs benefitted from improved scheme and DL play, but they were definitely more gap sound and in the right position much more this season.
    Not saying they weren't, just saying that when we went back to a 3 man front, we got gashed again by App. That makes one think that scheme was a big part of the improvement in LB play. It's good coaching: adapt your scheme to fit your players.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    We stayed in the 3 man front too long in title game.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    We stayed in the 3 man front too long in title game.
    I never understood why we changed what we did defensively in the first game. We held them to their lowest point total of the year in that game. Why change what worked until they make you?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information