Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    But that’s the thing. The guy trying that shot at this level shouldn’t be air balling layups. They’re D1 players. And I will admit that this is where this coaching staff have missed the mark: talent evaluation. Over the past two years, we haven’t recruited depth. Two scholarship guys are sitting the bench for Mason Aucoin. That tells me all I need to know on how we have missed the boat when it comes to finding talented depth.
    I definitely get the point your making but I do think some of the reason for Aucoin and Jaylon Williams playing over Spenkuch and Lafayette is position related. Those two aren’t perimeter players while the 6 scholarship guys currently injured are.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I definitely get the point your making but I do think some of the reason for Aucoin and Jaylon Williams playing over Spenkuch and Lafayette is position related. Those two aren’t perimeter players while the 6 scholarship guys currently injured are.
    I definitely get that. My point is that fact that those two are barely seeing the court even as subs, and they’re scholarships guys.

Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    I definitely get that. My point is that fact that those two are barely seeing the court even as subs, and they’re scholarships guys.
    That is definitely an issue. I believe even people within the program would admit it is a concern. Not too criticize those guys too much as they simply don’t have enough talent to help more. In an ideal world Spenkuch could have been redshirted and possibly developed with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    That is definitely an issue. I believe even people within the program would admit it is a concern. Not too criticize those guys too much as they simply don’t have enough talent to help more. In an ideal world Spenkuch could have been redshirted and possibly developed with time.
    I agree with Spenkuch probably being scheduled to redshirt. I also think that at the mid major level you will always be chasing quality big men. I have no problem using one of the last scholarships available to take a chance on a 6’11” guy who can knock down shots like Lafayette. Making him a project and trying to develop him into someone who can bang around down low well enough to eat up some minutes when he is needed. It’s been a year and a half and I haven’t seen a lot of development there yet.

Don’t get me wrong I do believe recruiting can be improved, but having a project or two at the end of the bench, especially a big man, is almost a given. You just don’t normally expect to have 6 ahead of them on the depth chart out at 1 time.

5. Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I agree with Spenkuch probably being scheduled to redshirt. I also think that at the mid major level you will always be chasing quality big men. I have no problem using one of the last scholarships available to take a chance on a 6’11” guy who can knock down shots like Lafayette. Making him a project and trying to develop him into someone who can bang around down low well enough to eat up some minutes when he is needed. It’s been a year and a half and I haven’t seen a lot of development there yet.

Don’t get me wrong I do believe recruiting can be improved, but having a project or two at the end of the bench, especially a big man, is almost a given. You just don’t normally expect to have 6 ahead of them on the depth chart out at 1 time.
    I had a PE coach sur name Nelson. He may have had a PHD ‘twas decades back. The thing I recall clearly as if this morning was his reaction time device. It was a tool to record your reaction time. It was based on gravity.

The thing I recall was him telling us about how he was able to determine the starters and first line backups based exclusively on reaction time. He placed 7/10 in order based on that alone.

When I watch our bigs I try to gauge them on my eyeball evaluation. Not scientific measurement but seems right. If their reaction is quick they start and generally do well.

Marlin and company cannot increase reaction time, but it’s easily determined. Anybody who is slow should be somebody else’s gamble.

Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Ahhh like Gladney and the big guy from California, and Plaisance, and Lafayette. Get the trend.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread Information