Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    A season like 2018 can happen 2 of every 5 to 6 years. I firmly believe they would have won the tournament with a healthy Gant and Stove that season. Of course for that to happen the injury bug has to go away and competent players have to fill out the bottom of the roster. Maybe that never happens. Interesting discussion here but I think we all know that no change is happening this year. A season like this one next year and all bets are off. In fact a change is more likely than not at that point
    So you only expect to win the conference every 3 years? Marlin isn’t even living up to what you expect.

2. Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

But a 2017 year hasn’t happened but once in a decade. Stove was a great 6th man, we still should have gone to the NCAA. Gant, Stove excuse is BS IMO. NOT you, but the Big Fish.

Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Completely off topic, but if it does “come down to three games in March” why don’t we stack our schedule to prepare for it.

By the way it’s a rhetorical question.

4. Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    If 2 of 6 years at or near the top of the Sun Belt conference was the ceiling for a new coach, would you hire him? I sure as hell would not.
    "would you hire him?"

That question is a dynamics changer.

5. UL Basketball Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

There's a reason that Marlin has never been poached. We should have learned that long ago and put him on notice he would never get an extension. We did the exact opposite and here we sit.

He might even return to mediocrity next year and his same defenders will be telling us about how much better they are instead of how outstanding they are.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    There’s a reason that Marlin has never been poached. We should have learned that long ago and put him on notice he would never get an extension. We did the exact opposite and here we sit. He might even return to mediocrity next year and his same defenders will be telling us about how much better they are instead of how outstanding they are.
    Bingo. As a mid-major or G5, if another school is not coming after your coach within 5-7 year it's time to get another not give him an extension.

A season like 2018 can happen 2 of every 5 to 6 years. I firmly believe they would have won the tournament with a healthy Gant and Stove that season. Of course for that to happen the injury bug has to go away and competent players have to fill out the bottom of the roster. Maybe that never happens. Interesting discussion here but I think we all know that no change is happening this year. A season like this one next year and all bets are off. In fact a change is more likely than not at that point
    I guess my return question is what makes you think that things will all of a sudden change? We routinely do not have the personnel to perform like that team did and he has averaged roughly 11 SBC wins per season for a decade. I'm not sure where we are all of a sudden going to turn the light switch on for him and this program. It is what it is.

The Big Fish made friends with the right donors in Acadiana. The type of donors who would rather be in the “in crowd” than have a team who was competitive enough to worth watching.

Kudos to Marlin for milking that $500k a year Salary for 10 years but it came at the expense of the Louisiana basketball program which is Stone Cold DEAD!

The big boy donors who still support Marlin and believe he is the right coach for UL are just scared that if a change is made they may find themselves on the outside looking in rather than feeling comfortable the way it is now.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Wasn’t around for NO basketball and the first year back, eh?
    Yes I was.

10. Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Quote Originally Posted by axg8750 View Post
    The Big Fish made friends with the right donors in Acadiana. The type of donors who would rather be in the “in crowd” than have a team who was competitive enough to worth watching.

Kudos to Marlin for milking that $500k a year Salary for 10 years but it came at the expense of the Louisiana basketball program which is Stone Cold DEAD!

The big boy donors who still support Marlin and believe he is the right coach for UL are just scared that if a change is made they may find themselves on the outside looking in rather than feeling comfortable the way it is now.
    All very true. And he is an administrators dream. Players show up to class, make good grades, mostly stay out of trouble, and when they tell him to run off players, he does it. Savoie loves the guy. It will be an uphill battle for the fans.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    All very true. And he is an administrators dream. Players show up to class, make good grades, mostly stay out of trouble, and when they tell him to run off players, he does it. Savoie loves the guy. It will be an uphill battle for the fans.
    sometimes situations have to play out I guess Too many fluid moving parts to this puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I guess my return question is what makes you think that things will all of a sudden change? We routinely do not have the personnel to perform like that team did and he has averaged roughly 11 SBC wins per season for a decade. I'm not sure where we are all of a sudden going to turn the light switch on for him and this program. It is what it is.
    I don't know that things will change immediately. You asked my opinion of the ceiling and that was my answer. When they recruit better overall and get rid of the injury bug is when things will improve. On another note, someone mentioned that injuries don't cause you to miss easy layups. In a sense that is true. However the fact that the guy trying that shot is not as good as the one who is hurt causes that to happen more frequently. That is why I said overall recruiting. We have some good players on the team but not nearly enough of them.

I don't know that things will change immediately. You asked my opinion of the ceiling and that was my answer. When they recruit better overall and get rid of the injury bug is when things will improve. On another note, someone mentioned that injuries don't cause you to miss easy layups. In a sense that is true. However the fact that the guy trying that shot is not as good as the one who is hurt causes that to happen more frequently. That is why I said overall recruiting. We have some good players on the team but not nearly enough of them.
    All we have to go by is history. That history is not that impressive and I'm not buying season tickets with the hope that we will all of a sudden recruit and coach better. It's obvious over a long sample size we caught lightning in a bottle a couple of years ago rather than turning the corner and taking the next step.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    All we have to go by is history. That history is not that impressive and I'm not buying season tickets with the hope that we will all of a sudden recruit and coach better. It's obvious over a long sample size we caught lightning in a bottle a couple of years ago rather than turning the corner and taking the next step.
    Understood. Everyone makes decisions that are personal in regards to time and money. In today's world, where every game can be watched online or ESPN +, it is not surprising fewer and fewer folks attend events live. Especially so, when teams are struggling. In our case, you can always attend individual games with no hassle if you ever desire to.

But that’s the thing. The guy trying that shot at this level shouldn’t be air balling layups. They’re D1 players. And I will admit that this is where this coaching staff have missed the mark: talent evaluation. Over the past two years, we haven’t recruited depth. Two scholarship guys are sitting the bench for Mason Aucoin. That tells me all I need to know on how we have missed the boat when it comes to finding talented depth.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information