Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

Default Re: Louisiana Wraps Up Roadtrip At Georgia Southern

We're witnessing the the rock bottom, can't get any worse than this.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Maggard should fire Bob dhring the post game show and make him buy a ticket to get back to Lafayette.
    Doubt it will happen until end of season, but Dr Maggard has no choice but to let Bob Marlin go. Marlin is done.

Quote Originally Posted by UL_Cajuns View Post
    Doubt it will happen until end of season, but Dr Maggard has no choice but to let Bob Marlin go. Marlin is done.
    Oh, I am sure it wont happen until then, but if it doesnt happen then, basketball is effectively dead at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Believe me it can. We’ve experienced worse.

When fully healthy we dont have more than 5 legit D1 players on our roster. Right now we have only 3 available (Russell, Smith and Gueye), and none of them can carry a team. Smith and Gueye are very mrginal D1 players.
    Caldwell, Julien, and Wilson are D1 players so I believe it is six, not 5. Practice showed that and Lowery may be in that number. Still that is not enough as shown by recent results. Problem is those three key guys missing are better than guys having to play now.

Oh, I am sure it wont happen until then, but if it doesnt happen then, basketball is effectively dead at UL.
    Plan on many of you considering it dead soon then. Note that is just an opinion. I have no knowledge of what really will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Plan on many of you considering it dead soon then. Note that is just an opinion. I have no knowledge of what really will happen.
    There is no way Maggard cannot fire him at this point. You would lose what little is left of a fan base

Caldwell, Julien, and Wilson are D1 players so I believe it is six, not 5. Practice showed that and Lowery may be in that number. Still that is not enough as shown by recent results. Problem is those three key guys missing are better than guys having to play now.
    Practice, how about against decent D1 competition?

So Mike, as someone who is a Marlin backer and is typically not in agreement with most here in regards to their overall assessment of Marlin and the program, let me ask you a question. In your eyes, what is the ceiling of this program under Marlin? You've had nearly 10 full years to put eyes on the program and compare good years and bad years. What is the ceiling that you expect under Marlin?

I like marlin but it is time the school go in a different direction 1 NCAA TOURNEYAlso he FAILED to reach the tourney with a 27-3 team arguably the best team ever in the modern era. basketball has been so frustrating but he has had a decade to build an NCAA tourney regular in a mediocre conference and can’t do it.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunref View Post
    Practice, how about against decent D1 competition?
    Caldwell showed he was one of the better players on the team in practice before he got hurt. Basketball people who saw it can confirm that for you. Julien and Wilson showed it before they were injured in the games they have played. There is no doubt those three are amongst the top 6 in ability. Not saying they are All Americans. Just saying they are better than most of the guys playing right now. In fact they are quite a bit better which is why the last two games have been a struggle since so many are unavailable.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    So Mike, as someone who is a Marlin backer and is typically not in agreement with most here in regards to their overall assessment of Marlin and the program, let me ask you a question. In your eyes, what is the ceiling of this program under Marlin? You've had nearly 10 full years to put eyes on the program and compare good years and bad years. What is the ceiling that you expect under Marlin?
    A season like 2018 can happen 2 of every 5 to 6 years. I firmly believe they would have won the tournament with a healthy Gant and Stove that season. Of course for that to happen the injury bug has to go away and competent players have to fill out the bottom of the roster. Maybe that never happens. Interesting discussion here but I think we all know that no change is happening this year. A season like this one next year and all bets are off. In fact a change is more likely than not at that point

Quote Originally Posted by fanof71 View Post
    Wasn’t around for NO basketball and the first year back, eh?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Wasn’t around for NO basketball and the first year back, eh?
    The team in the first year back from probation won 7 games. The next year they added Andrew Toney and went 21 and 9. The first team back from probation would drill the team we put on the court today as they had talent, it was just inexperienced. Of course that would not be the case were this squad healthy. Point is that it cannot get much worse than the last two games.

A season like 2018 can happen 2 of every 5 to 6 years. I firmly believe they would have won the tournament with a healthy Gant and Stove that season. Of course for that to happen the injury bug has to go away and competent players have to fill out the bottom of the roster. Maybe that never happens. Interesting discussion here but I think we all know that no change is happening this year. A season like this one next year and all bets are off. In fact a change is more likely than not at that point
    If 2 of 6 years at or near the top of the Sun Belt conference was the ceiling for a new coach, would you hire him? I sure as hell would not.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information