Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . LastLast

Thread: 2019 Bowl Watch

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    6 bowl wins in 6 years is their selling point. NOT 'we beat Miami FL in 2019'
    I think both will sell to an 18 year old recruit.

2. Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    I think both will sell to an 18 year old recruit.
    18 year olds have no clue that Miami FL was once a powerhouse.

You are letting life experiences clean up their current image.

Without casual fans we'll never get to where we'd like to be. You'll see evidence of how important casual fans are when we play our bowl game in Mobile in a near empty stadium. Until we understand this simple fact, we're not going anywhere.
    i knew out of everything i said about tech, you would grab hold on the one sentence about casual fans. which we could fairly debate the value of a casual fan. but that is a completely different debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    6 bowl wins in 6 years is their selling point. NOT 'we beat Miami FL in 2019'
    was declined bowl already that long ago? wow, seems like yesterday

5. Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

The fact of the matter is that we could beat the MAC Champion Miami of Ohio by 60 points and it still would not garner as much respect nationally as did LaTech's 14-0 win over The University of Miami. The national perception of a win over a P5 school is simply much better than a win over a G5 team, even if that G5 team is a G5 Conference Champion.
    This is absolutely false.
    The national perception is that Miami is a dumpster fire. Not LaTech accomplished some major feat.

Oiler's Avatar Oiler is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

The average Joe that isn't a fan of either UL or La Tech will subconsciously associate the bowl we play Miami of Ohio in as being a lower tier bowl than the one Tech played the University of Miami in. This is the type of thing that helps keep La Tech's brand better known than ours is.

La Tech was very lucky to draw such a weak P5 opponent for their bowl game.

7. Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

That's simply not true. Miami has certainly fallen as a program, and nobody doubts that Miami is nothing like the Miami of old, but don't kid yourself, LaTech's shutting out the Miami Hurricanes in a bowl game got noticed by the casual fans throughout the country. Beating a P5 in a bowl game just garners much more respect from the casual fan than beating a MAC or CUSA team ever will, and LaTech has now two P5 scalps in their current bowl win streak. Don't think for a minute that this win over the Hurricanes of Miami won't help out Tech's recruiting.

Our enemy to the north has now won six bowl wins in six consecutive years. They're currently riding the longest bowl win streak in the nation (though Wisconsin will tie them if they win over Oregon in the Rose Bowl). That's a heck of a run no matter who the opponents were. I looked it up, and in that win streak they've gotten wins over Illinois, Ark St, Navy, SMU, Hawaii, and now Miami. That's bowl wins over teams from the Big 10, Sun Belt, AAC, MWC, and the ACC. We can pretend that nobody's noticed any of this if we want to, but we do so at our own peril. LaTech is a formidable opponent for us when it comes to recruiting. We see evidence of it every year, and we've certainly seen it on full display the field a time or two.
    Please share the good weed, Eeyore Tis the season of giving

The average Joe that isn't a fan of either UL or La Tech will subconsciously associate the bowl we play Miami of Ohio in as being a lower tier bowl than the one Tech played the University of Miami in. This is the type of thing that helps keep La Tech's brand better known than ours is.

This could be the greatest thread in ragin Pagin history and that’s saying something.

We have sunshine pumping with koolaide drinking while knocking tech for getting a p5 win

The fact is if we had shutout Miami 14-0 the same folks in here would be beating their chest talking about how we dominated an acc team

Classic ragin pagin

9. Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

Without casual fans we'll never get to where we'd like to be. You'll see evidence of how important casual fans are when we play our bowl game in Mobile in a near empty stadium. Until we understand this simple fact, we're not going anywhere.
    Wrong again. G5 football is just G5 football until your program does something special. (i.e. Western Michigan, Houston, Boise St, UCF, Memphis)

The casual fan will band wagon their arses off during our run to the NY6 bowl game next year. Watch.

10. Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

Average Joe fan associates Miami FL with a dumpster fire Not a P5 powerhouse, conference or significant win of any kind Again, check the social media platforms, fan boards and ESPN I have not seen a single person say "What a great win for LaTech an the G5!"

only twice out of last ten seasons has the independence bowl had the p5 vs p5 matchup the tie ins dictate.it is a shame that the p5 can hog up,a bowl tie in they can never fill. imagine if sunbelt couldnt fill all its tie ins, you would hear media screaming from roof tops to cancel the bowl.

that coupled with numerous sponsor changes, maybe that bowl should be on the chopping block before one of the sunbelt bowls or sunbelt should get the tie in and try to save it?

sunbelt in that time period tripled their number of bowl eligible teams/slots. a certain p5 actually now has less bowl eligible teams than they had back then.has any other conf p5 or g5 doubled its slots?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Average Joe fan associates Miami FL with a dumpster fire Not a P5 powerhouse, conference or significant win of any kind Again, check the social media platforms, fan boards and ESPN I have not seen a single person say "What a great win for LaTech an the G5!"

Spot on. unfortunately for Tech, the mantra is look how far The U has fallen to lose to a G5 member. It's so bad they Diaz, who is a piece of ____ for what he did at Temple is cleaning house. The story being spun is a marketing nightmare for Miami in all phases. I wish we could play p5 teams when they down on their luck like this

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    . I wish we could play p5 teams when they down on their luck like this
    We do. We just blow it. Florida, Miss St., etc.

Let's hope we break the cycle at Mizzou.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Well, notice how the NY6 G5 team this year, Memphis, is playing tomorrow, the 28th.
    So are the highest ranked teams in America. You can’t fit 6 games in the same day without overlapping.

15. Default Re: Bowling 2019-2020

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Wrong again. G5 football is just G5 football until your program does something special. (i.e. Western Michigan, Houston, Boise St, UCF, Memphis)

The casual fan will band wagon their arses off during our run to the NY6 bowl game next year. Watch.
    Almost a 3rd of the top 30-35 teams in the country are G-5s I think---need to double check!!!

Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 . LastLast

Thread Information