Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Kobe Julien

UL Basketball Kobe Julien

Breaking this afternoon: UL redshirt freshman Kobe Julien, a Ragin' Cajuns starter, will miss the remainder of the 2019-20 season after undergoing surgery on his right knee.

— Tim Buckley

Default Re: Kobe Julien 😟

Well that sucks

Begs 2 questions:

1. Any chance of a medical redshirt?
    2. How does this affect him for the rest of his career, since he is already coming off of a huge injury.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Begs 2 questions:

2. How does this affect him for the rest of his career, since he is already coming off of a huge injury.
    There is a chance that he gets a medical redshirt as he has only played in 8 of 31 games, which is under 30%
    Whether they grant the waiver since he already redshirted is another question

Dude marlin’s team is just having terrible luck. why can’t we stay healthy!?!?! If we have a winning season I will be surprised

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Dude marlin's team is just having terrible luck. why can't we stay healthy!?!?! If we have a winning season I will be surprised
    Sucks for the kid has to tough to deal with

but guy was playing crazy minutes for someone coming off knee surgery

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    Begs 2 questions:

Really sad for Julien. I hope it doesn't become a chronic knee problem for him.

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Dude marlin's team is just having terrible luck. why can't we stay healthy!?!?
    Just happens sometimes. No surprise, sometimes it's just the way a player is physically built. If one knee is bad, the other usually follows. Seen it plenty.

The lack of many injuries contributed to football having a great year.

Quote Originally Posted by AirBill View Post

At a recent Rebounders meeting we were told that doctors who performed the first surgery said they would not be surprised if the "other" knee did not have problems within 2 years. It took 21 months. I don't think this is as severe an issue as the first nor will rehab take as long. We now have three guys out for the season with knee injuries and all three were expected to contribute once conference play started, two substantially. This situation reminds me of a recent article I read in Sports Illustrated. It pointed out that youth basketball players play too much at times (especially in the summer tournaments) which makes them likely to have injuries in their college years. Similar issue to pitchers throwing too much in their youth. Problem is not just here but it seems to be exaggerated for the Cajuns this season.

10. UL Basketball Louisiana's Julien To Miss Rest Of 2019-20 Season Due To Injury

Redshirt freshman Kobe Julien will miss the remainder of the 2019-20 Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Men's Basketball season due to a right knee injury, head coach Bob Marlin announced on Friday.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA AC

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    At a recent Rebounders meeting we were told that doctors who performed the first surgery said they would not be surprised if the "other" knee did not have problems within 2 years. It took 21 months. I don't think this is as severe an issue as the first nor will rehab take as long. We now have three guys out for the season with knee injuries and all three were expected to contribute once conference play started, two substantially. This situation reminds me of a recent article I read in Sports Illustrated. It pointed out that youth basketball players play too much at times (especially in the summer tournaments) which makes them likely to have injuries in their college years. Similar issue to pitchers throwing too much in their youth. Problem is not just here but it seems to be exaggerated for the Cajuns this season.
    Talk to orthopedist and they will generally tell you that kids today are getting pushed too hard, too soon. If you are trying to be an elite athlete and move on to the college game you are playing high school and club sports. It is a year round schedule.

I'm familiar with soccer where the kids typically get a two week break about twice a year. They are playing between fourty and fifty games a year and practice around 150 days annually. I'm sure basketball isn't much different.

On young bodies that are still growing they simple don't have enough recovery time. Not to mention that they sometimes push beyond their limits. Toss in a poor coach or trainer and you are set up for serious health issues down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Talk to orthopedist and they will generally tell you that kids today are getting pushed too hard, too soon. If you are trying to be an elite athlete and move on to the college game you are playing high school and club sports. It is a year round schedule.

I'm familiar with soccer where the kids typically get a two week break about twice a year. They are playing between fourty and fifty games a year and practice around 150 days annually. I'm sure basketball isn't much different.

On young bodies that are still growing they simple don't have enough recovery time. Not to mention that they sometimes push beyond their limits. Toss in a poor coach or trainer and you are set up for serious health issues down the road.
    Youth soccer, especially if a player is on a good high school and travel team, get the two weeks off mandated during the summer when the new year begins, and any time between when their high school team gets knocked out the state tournament and the first travel team practice in the spring. No time to recharge and heal. One mcl and one acl at our house along with the usual bumps and bruises.

Prayers and best of luck to Kobe. He was getting more comfortable on the court each time we saw him.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Mike, was this more of a Meniscus injury rather than the ACL that he tore his senior year?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Sucks for the kid has to tough to deal with

but guy was playing crazy minutes for someone coming off knee surgery
    He wasn't coming off knee surgery. He had surgery nearly 2 years ago and well over a year to rehab.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Mike, was this more of a Meniscus injury rather than the ACL that he tore his senior year?
    Don’t know. May hear more after surgery next week.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information