Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread: LOUISIANA VS. MIAMI - Jan 6th, 2020 -Lending Tree Bowl-Mobile, AL

1. Default Re: LOUISIANA VS. MIAMI(Ohio) -Jan 6th, 2020 -Lending Tree Bowl-Mobile, AL

Quote Originally Posted by beaux66 View Post
    That’s a great matchup for you guys. At least you got a conference champion
    Well there is that, because if they ever go to an expanded playoff formula, conference champions will be the contenders.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    One fan site I found:

http://test.miamihawktalk.com/talk/

There is a thread about us already there started over a month ago. Title:

“Nobody in the MAC should want Louisiana in a bowl”
    That was fun to read.

Default Re: LOUISIANA VS. MIAMI(Ohio) -Jan 6th, 2020 -Lending Tree Bowl-Mobile, AL

We’re playing a conference champion. May not be a big name, but I’ll take an opportunity to defeat a conference champ in a bowl game.

Default Re: LOUISIANA VS. MIAMI(Ohio) -Jan 6th, 2020 -Lending Tree Bowl-Mobile, AL

Here's a recap of the last time we play the 'Hawks.

Jake's first career start. Led Miami 28-3 at the half, only to have them storm back and win 29-28.

When the team landed, Nelson Stokley found out his daughter Jamie gave birth to twins and neither survived more than a few minutes.

The image of him holding onto the chain link fence and racked with sobs is a picture I'll always remember. Probably the toughest day of Nelson's life.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post

Jake's first career start. Led Miami 28-3 at the half, only to have them storm back and win 29-28.

When the team landed, Nelson Stokley found out his daughter Jamie gave birth to twins and neither survived more than a few minutes.

The image of him holding onto the chain link fence and racked with sobs is a picture I'll always remember. Probably the toughest day of Nelson's life.
    I didn't just need to relive that one.that's as bad as it gets and there was no consoling him that day.

That’s awful

Sobering reminders that this is just a game (even though it was also a job and career for Coach Stokley), where other realities are so much more important.

Sometimes I think we expect all these people, the coaches and athletes, to be robots. But how many of us, when there something seriously troubling from a personal standpoint, are always able to flip the switch when we’re at the office and completely tune everything else out?

Was that the game where there was a play on the goal line late in the game that Miami OH got a home town call that decided the game?

It's not a particularly attractive match up to the casual fan, but the game may be good. The bowl rankings have started to come out and we're not scrapping the top 30s.

From CBS: #26. LendingTree Bowl -- Louisiana vs. Miami (OH) -- Jan. 6, 7:30 p.m.: The Ragin' Cajuns have been one of the best teams you haven't noticed, and Miami won the MAC this year. This is a matchup between two of the better Group of Five teams in the country. It has that sneaky potential.

Ranking from Yahoo:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-the.232955567.html

# 24. LendingTree Bowl: Louisiana (10-3) vs. Miami, Ohio (8-5) — Jan. 6, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)
    The final non-title game bowl of the year pits two good Group of Five teams against each other. The Cajuns won 10 games in 2019 for the first time in school history while Miami has already recorded its best season since a 10-win campaign in 2010.

11. Default Re: LOUISIANA VS. MIAMI(Ohio) -Jan 6th, 2020 -Lending Tree Bowl-Mobile, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Sobering reminders that this is just a game (even though it was also a job and career for Coach Stokley), where other realities are so much more important.

Sometimes I think we expect all these people, the coaches and athletes, to be robots. But how many of us, when there something seriously troubling from a personal standpoint, are always able to flip the switch when we’re at the office and completely tune everything else out?
    I totally get what you’re saying, and agree 100 % with you.

I would say this, the vast majority of we commoners are working to live, not because we love what we’re doing. On the other hand, when it’s going well, the vast majority of coaches and players are doing what they love in addition to money for security. That might even extend to AD, trainers and other support staff. Especially the support probably can find better paying jobs.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Ranking from Yahoo:

https://sports.yahoo.com/ranking-the.232955567.html

# 24. LendingTree Bowl: Louisiana (10-3) vs. Miami, Ohio (8-5) — Jan. 6, 7:30 p.m. (ESPN)
    The final non-title game bowl of the year pits two good Group of Five teams against each other. The Cajuns won 10 games in 2019 for the first time in school history while Miami has already recorded its best season since a 10-win campaign in 2010.
    Coming in 11 spots below us

35. Independence Bowl: Miami (6-6) vs. Louisiana Tech (9-3) — Dec. 26, 4 p.m. (ESPN)

Miami’s first season under Manny Diaz was all over the place. The Hurricanes started 2-3, won four of five and then were upset by FIU and Duke in their final two games. Now, to avoid a losing season, Miami has to go to Shreveport and beat a school where Diaz once served as defensive coordinator: Louisiana Tech.

13. Default Re: LOUISIANA VS. MIAMI(Ohio) -Jan 6th, 2020 -Lending Tree Bowl-Mobile, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Bankruptcyman View Post
    Was that the game where there was a play on the goal line late in the game that Miami OH got a home town call that decided the game?
    I think that may have been Jake’s first start. Regardless he was still wet behind the ears

Team Stats: Louisiana - Miami (OH)

Points Per Game 38.8 - 24.7
    Points Allowed Per Game 19.9 -28.2
    Total Yards 501.3 - 305.9
    Yards Passing 236.0 - 172.8
    Yards Rushing 265.3 - 133.1
    Yards Allowed 373.4 - 380.5
    Pass Yards Allowed 193.8 - 206.4
    Rush Yards Allowed 179.5 - 174.1

They got outscored on the season and still won a conference championship. A 69 point loss to Ohio State didn't help the old point differential.

They had some close games. 5 decided by 1 possession. 3 by a field goal.

The Cajuns have 8 double digit victories including one over a common opponent - Ohio Bobcats.

You have to like the Cajuns on paper, but anything can happen. The game is nearly a month out so who knows how either team will look?

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    If you want to stay near the team, Candlewood Suites On Royal is nice. Mobile has a really nice downtown area with lots of bars and restaurants. We were there last month for the USA game.
    Thanks for info. Just booked a room. Price pretty decent.

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 12 . LastLast

Thread Information