Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 MBB: Louisiana 61, Wyoming 69

1. UL Basketball Re: Louisiana Faces Wyoming In MGM Resorts Main Event

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Defense was alright. Other than that, I have nothing else.
    Was it? Wyoming missed a lot of wide open threes. Maybe that was by design. Maybe we were willing to let some attempt three point shots figuring we'd get the rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajunArmy View Post
    I disagree. He’s one of the best, but I’d put both Bryant Mbamalu and Kasey Shepherd ahead of him. Especially Kasey.
    How quickly we forget, Marquetti actually finished his short career here as the #2 3pt shooter in school history percentage wise. He was just a fraction off of Sydney Grider.

And back to the original argument I agree that the airball free throw was all about lack of legs at that point in overtime. As others have stated in this thread my biggest gripe with the coaching staff last night was with the added depth of Smith and Hardy not adjusting the rotation to keep everyone fresh dealing with the jet lag and elevation.

Default Re: Louisiana Faces Wyoming In MGM Resorts Main Event

I disagree. He’s one of the best, but I’d put both Bryant Mbamalu and Kasey Shepherd ahead of him. Especially Kasey.
    Lol what? Mbamalu is a better shooter than Russell. That's hilarious.

4. Default Re: Louisiana Faces Wyoming In MGM Resorts Main Event

Ced Russell is a better shooter than Marquetti and most others. I’d like to compare attempts between the two.

Ced is an outstanding player, better shooter. We just apparently have no idea how to put our players in a position to best utilize their strengths. 🤷🏼_♂️

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 61, Wyoming 69

Name an aspect we were good last night. I'll wait..
    Riding in a heated bus.

Vic...chair. Well played sir, great minds think alike.

I expect a different team the next time out. Undisciplined, to the bench.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Ced Russell is a better shooter than Marquetti and most others. I’d like to compare attempts between the two.

Ced is an outstanding player, better shooter. We just apparently have no idea how to put our players in a position to best utilize their strengths. 🤷🏼_♂️
    Marquetti shot 42.7% with 4.2 3pt attempts per game while here at UL.

Through last night Russell has shot 39.5% with 4.6 3pt attempts per game.

Overall they are pretty equal and Ced has to work harder for his shot. I just think many didn’t realize how good of a shooter Marquetti was.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Marquetti shot 42.7% with 4.2 3pt attempts per game while here at UL.

Through last night Russell has shot 39.5% with 4.6 3pt attempts per game.

Overall they are pretty equal and Ced has to work harder for his shot. I just think many didn’t realize how good of a shooter Marquetti was.
    Well sure they do. Last season went into the tank after his injury, remember?

8. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 61, Wyoming 69

So it’s okay to be a D1 athlete (and the teams best scorer) and air ball a free throw? You’re kidding right? I’ve coached middle schoolers and even they shouldn’t air ball free throws.
    When I used to ski twice a year in my teens and early 20's I couldn't pick up my legs at the end of day one.

After that I was fine.

Teams should travel two days early for altitude games.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    When I used to ski twice a year in my teens and early 20's I couldn't pick up my legs at the end of day one.

After that I was fine.

Teams should travel two days early for altitude games.
    Acclimation is a serious issue and everyone acclimates differently and it is not necessarily correlated to how physically fit you are. Although being in good shape obviously helps. One person may easily acclimate to 7K in a day while others might take a week. Everyone's physiology is different. The difference is air density from Lafayette to Wyoming is closing in on 25%. So for every breath you take you take in 25% less oxygen. No way around the fact that something like that will effect athletic performance if you are not acclimated.

With that said the Cajuns had plenty of other issues that had nothing to do with a Rocky Mountain high.

Interesting read on Wyomings Altitude simulation system...

https://gowyo.com/news/2018/8/22/gen...g-in-hapc.aspx

11. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 61, Wyoming 69

My grandson watching the basketball game was confused. He said our team didn't appear to have a good plan. Take a lot of defended three points. Not much of a half court offense. Now he's not aware of my disdain for our schedule or the Big Fish failure against almost every team with a.decent coach. He was simply watching a streaming version of what we see way too often.

If we can't out athletic them getting turnover buckets we don't win often.

Currently watching replay of TCU vs Cal Irvine.

They competed to the very end. A one point game to TCU. Some think we’ll get humbled. That’s probably the smart bet.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    What I remember him saying was that missing free throws didn't cost us the game but that we lost because we couldn't make any shots. I don't recall him saying anything about "not running the offense".

Not defending him, that's just what I recall he said.
    I'm fairly certain he made a comment about not running the offense properly and taking too many ill advised shots.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I'm fairly certain he made a comment about not running the offense properly and taking too many ill advised shots.
    Not running the offense properly and players unwilling to run the offense are 2 totally different things

14. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 61, Wyoming 69

But it’s all about the head coach. If they truly respect him they’ll try to do what he says. If they’re trying, then it’s coaching deficiencies , or talent.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I can't disagree with the points you made above. What I didn't hear him say was that the players were "unwilling" to run the offense.

IMO our offense is always undisciplined. We have no mid range game so if we don't hit a 3 pt shot we're done for that possession, unless by chance we get a rebound. I'm probably different from most fans because I really dislike the 3 point shot and what it has done to the game. And we certainly have players shooting 3's that shouldn't be doing so unless the shot clock is running down.

If some of our players aren't running the offense coaches want them to run then they need to sit the bench. Maybe now that we have a few more bodies available that will be the case.

The subject of undisciplined 3 pt shooting reminds me of a fan who used to sit a few seats over from me. As soon the ball crossed midcourt on our possessions he immediately started his chant of "Shoot that rock, shoot that rock, ....." At times it seemed like our guys listened to him. LOL

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information