Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-20 MBB: Louisiana 73, Youngstown 61

UL Basketball 2019-20 MBB: Louisiana 73, Youngstown 61

We are 2 point underdogs at home to Youngstown st. Never thought I’d type those words.

Quote Originally Posted by oldwiseone33 View Post
    We are 2 point underdogs at home to Youngstown st. Never thought I’d type those words.
    Not enough points. Might need a touchdown to cover.

Default Re: Youngstown St -2 vs Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Not enough points. Might need a touchdown to cover.
    That begs and interesting question. I realize that we are in the middle of an epic football season, but being that conference play does not start until December 18th and we could potentially be playing in a bowl game on December 21st. Are their any players (ala Elijah McGuire) who were very good basketball players in HS, that chose football over basketball that might be able to help the basketball team in late December. I would assume plenty of the members of football team were probably All State or All Conference Basketball players as well.

Just thinking that with all of the injuries/suspension that we have warm bodies in December would at least help the team.

Specifically some of the players that could be redshirting this year.

Some players that I looked up on the football roster with Basketball backgrounds are:

Cassius Allen--All Region Basketball in HS 6'4" 208 lbs
    Brian Smith JR.--First Team All District Basketball 6'4" 209 lbs
    Michael Jacquet--Lettered in Basketball in HS 6'2" 201 lbs
    Schdarren Archie--Excelled in Basketball in HS 6'2" 200 lbs
    Deuce Wallace--Lettered in Basketball in HS 5'10" 207 lbs

Above are some of the ones listed on the football team with basketball experience. Sounds like Cassius Allen and Brian Smith JR were pretty good as wel as Schdarren Archie.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    That begs and interesting question. I realize that we are in the middle of an epic football season, but being that conference play does not start until December 18th and we could potentially be playing in a bowl game on December 21st. Are their any players (ala Elijah McGuire) who were very good basketball players in HS, that chose football over basketball that might be able to help the basketball team in late December. I would assume plenty of the members of football team were probably All State or All Conference Basketball players as well.

Just thinking that with all of the injuries/suspension that we have warm bodies in December would at least help the team.

Good question. I'm sure there are a few that would love the opportunity. Maybe Gossett with his height would be able to help on the boards, but he might be a little too light.

Some players that I looked up on the football roster with Basketball backgrounds are:

Cassius Allen--All Region Basketball in HS 6'4" 208 lbs
    Brian Smith JR.--First Team All District Basketball 6'4" 209 lbs
    Michael Jacquet--Lettered in Basketball in HS 6'2" 201 lbs
    Schdarren Archie--Excelled in Basketball in HS 6'2" 200 lbs
    Deuce Wallace--Lettered in Basketball in HS 5'10" 207 lbs

Above are some of the ones listed on the football team with basketball experience. Sounds like Cassius Allen and Brian Smith JR were pretty good as wel as Schdarren Archie.
    Hell no. Don’t want to risk injury to the football team.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Hell no. Don’t want to risk injury to the football team.
    This is for when football is over.

7. Default Re: Youngstown St -2 vs Louisiana

But bad things can happen in basketball. Kobe Julian is still slowed almost two years after his high school basketball injury.

I’m not about risking any future time for our football program to bailout Bob Marlin. His ineptitude in recruiting is responsible for this imbalance in the team.

Not trying to be mean here, but the fact that we have to even bring up football players to cover for a depleted basketball roster tells me all I need to know about the way our roster has been handled over the past few years.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    But bad things can happen in basketball. Kobe Julian is still slowed almost two years after his high school basketball injury.

I’m not about risking any future time for our football program to bailout Bob Marlin. His ineptitude in recruiting is responsible for this imbalance in the team.
    Bingo. Keep the football program healthy. They’re the athletics draw.

10. Default Re: Youngstown St -2 vs Louisiana

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Not trying to be mean here, but the fact that we have to even bring up football players to cover for a depleted basketball roster tells me all I need to know about the way our roster has been handled over the past few years.
    The imbalance is on Marlin.

The novel idea has nothing to do with Marlin, but it is a very creative idea. A throwback to when athletes played 2, 3, 4 and sometimes 5 sports. (Alvin Dark)

Cases of football coaches even letting their players run indoor track are very rare these days.

Both can help. Speed and agility, but the risk of injury has to reside on the practice field.

It ain't gonna happen.

jmo

11. Default

I think it was Jay or possibly Stevie p hinted yesterday that the Cajuns could have some players available tonight. I know Aucoin is one and possibly Wesley. Not sure who else. Does anyone know if any players could be back.

I think it was Jay or possibly Stevie p hinted yesterday that the Cajuns could have some players available tonight. I know Aucoin is one and possibly Wesley. Not sure who else. Does anyone know if any players could be back.
    I thought Wesley was done for the year. Smith could be back any day.

According to the article in the advertiser this morning Wesley and Aucoin could play tonight and Russell is questionable. Smith was having a procedure done yesterday and is still out. Hardy has been allowed back to practice to give them an extra body. Just speculation on my part but Wesley may be at a point where he can’t do further damage and choosing to play through the pain. If it’s too much he could still be shut down and get a medical redshirt, he may just be able to give some minutes in games until Hardy is possibly reinstated.

Just does not seem logical to have such roster depletion and attrition. Players are recruited then shown the door. At some point their has to be a cause. Having 7 or 8 players and being hopeful that a walk on plays just seems insane.

15. Default Re: Youngstown St -2 vs Louisiana

Mason Aucoin while being a Walkon is probably light years ahead of Lafayette and Spenkuch right now. While I would much rather have other players than Aucoin, the fact that he is available is good news. He is a player that won't hurt the team. He has improved year after year as a walkon. As a Freshman he played 8 games and only 23 minutes averaging 2.9 PPG, as a Sophomore he increased that to 12 games and 38 total minutes and averaged 3.2 PPG and finally as a Junior he played in 12 games and 50 minutes and averaged 4.2 PPG. He is a career 32% 3 point shooter and a career 70% FT shooter. To me depending on the situation (big vs big, where Lafayette makes more sense), I would much rather have Aucoin in the game right now vs either Lafayette or Spenkuch.

Just my opinion.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread Information