Thread: Q: Student Assistant Coach

1. Default Q: Student Assistant Coach

I know there are "volunteer" student assistant coaches.

My question is; Are there "paid" student assistant coaches?

Default Re: Q: Student Assistant Coach

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ I know there are "volunteer" student assistant coaches.

My question is; Are there "paid" student assistant coaches? _
    In most, if not all, cases, the student assistant gets a scholarship to continue his studies. That, in itself, is payment.

Frequently, the student assistant is a former player who didn't complete his course work to get his degree and he's brought back as a student assistant so he can finish.

3. Default Re: Q: Student Assistant Coach

Thanks

Is a student assistant and a Grad Assistant one in the same?

No a stud assistant is someone who has not graduated. A grad assistant is a student with a bachelor's degree working on a graduate (masters) degree.

5. Default Re: Q: Student Assistant Coach

Quote Originally Posted by basketballjone View Post
    Student are graduate assistant you still get to further you academics and get paid as well.
    By the school/State?

Can you work for the state 19 years somewhere else and apply this (towards retirement) as 1 of the 20?

Quote Originally Posted by basketballjone View Post
    _ Student, non student, graduate or not, i was an Assistant I was on the bench and in the mix at practice. It depends on your knowledge of the game as to how much the head man lets you assist. Its a respect you get from the players, thats allows you to assist more than others. Student are graduate assistant you still get to further your academics and get paid as well. Its been a plus for Ross Ricks and I that coach lee allowed us to help as assistants. _

Brad, did you graduate from UL or still have a few hours to complete your degree?

Student type assistantships (students or grad) are more like tuition related funding. They are not true 9-5 jobs. They work with the team travel etc but are not considered paid wages. Some may get small stipends to go along with tuition.

True Assistant coaches are jobs that would yes work towards retirement in the Louisiana system.

8. Default Re: Q: Student Assistant Coach

Quote Originally Posted by playincajun View Post

True Assistant coaches are jobs that would yes work towards retirement in the Louisiana system. _
    That is where I was going with this line of questioning.

Robert Lee was a student assistant at Nicholls in 1990 and if he had been considered an employee and it was able to go towards his State retirement, he would now have 20 years in the State system.

1 at Nicholls
    5 as a HS coach.
    14 at UL

He needs to coach another year

Or he needs any other position in state employ. I would not be adverse to the University giving him another position at UL, perhaps as an academic advisor in the athletic dept.

igeaux.mobi

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    _ That is where I was going with this line of questioning.

Robert Lee was a student assistant at Nicholls in 1990 and if he had been considered an employee and it was able to go towards his State retirement, he would now have 20 years in the State system.

1 at Nicholls
    5 as a HS coach.
    14 at UL

He needs to coach another year _

If your numbers are correct the university owes it to him to allow him to teach one more year.

Thread Information