Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: GROW. THE. BRAND!

Default Re: GROW. THE. BRAND!

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Ooph. I like Okra enough I guess but not in gumbo. Too slimey. I always disliked shrimp and okra gumbo.
    Same here: while I love seafood in virtually every other way, never been crazy with a seafood gumbo. Chicken and sausage is the best. And without all that slimy okra.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Same here: while I love seafood in virtually every other way, never been crazy with a seafood gumbo. Chicken and sausage is the best. And without all that slimy okra.
    I love a good seafood gumbo with shrimp, crab etc. but just can't do the okra in it. Always get the seafood gumbo at Dons when I go. I think that chicken and sausage is still the general favorite amongst many but I like it to have a little tasso.

I love a good seafood gumbo with shrimp, crab etc. but just can't do the okra in it. Always get the seafood gumbo at Dons when I go. I think that chicken and sausage is still the general favorite amongst many but I like it to have a little tasso.
    the best. loaded with oysters. i don't need a menu there.

Don’s is a damn good seafood gumbo, both spots. Downtown, though, it’s the only thing I really enjoy.

My dad always smothered down a bit of okra in his seafood gumbo. Not a ton, but always a bit. I don’t do the okra in gumbo.

Now.okra on my smoker while doing a rack of ribs or pig ___.delicious. Smoke it, then slice in half and simmer down with some butter in a pot. Amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Don’s is a damn good seafood gumbo, both spots. Downtown, though, it’s the only thing I really enjoy.

My dad always smothered down a bit of okra in his seafood gumbo. Not a ton, but always a bit. I don’t do the okra in gumbo.

Now.okra on my smoker while doing a rack of ribs or pig ___.delicious. Smoke it, then slice in half and simmer down with some butter in a pot. Amazing.
    Smoked okra?? Soinds good. I always put a lil liquid smoke in my smothered okra anyway. Have to try it that way.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Great article, however had to laugh at his writing. Obviously not a sports geek.

L.S.U.
    N.C.A.A
    U.L. Lafayette
    Well, the abbreviation I see most often for us is ULL, even though they call us LOUISIANA. LA is not used by anyone. Maybe it is time to take a bold step and use ULA. I doubt we would hear much objection to it at this point. We would be in great company with UGA (Georgia) and UVA (Virginia). It is the natural abbreviation that everyone will relate to and complete our LOUISIANA name and reference. Geaux ULA.

Ooph. I like Okra enough I guess but not in gumbo. Too slimey. I always disliked shrimp and okra gumbo.
    My favorite winter meal is a dozen raw followed by a bowl of shrimp and okra.

8. Default Re: GROW. THE. BRAND!

Quote Originally Posted by jcstewart View Post
    My favorite winter meal is a dozen raw followed by a bowl of shrimp and okra.
    ✔️

To me, gumbo is not gumbo without okra. The word gumbo means okra in a native American language

10. Default Re: GROW. THE. BRAND!

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    To me, gumbo is not gumbo without okra. The word gumbo means okra in a native American language
    ✔️

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Gombo = okra in french. Need to wear long sleeves when you pick it, and don't let it get too big before picking, it will get hard.

12. Default Re: GROW. THE. BRAND!

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    Well, the abbreviation I see most often for us is ULL, even though they call us LOUISIANA. LA is not used by anyone. Maybe it is time to take a bold step and use ULA. I doubt we would hear much objection to it at this point. We would be in great company with UGA (Georgia) and UVA (Virginia). It is the natural abbreviation that everyone will relate to and complete our LOUISIANA name and reference. Geaux ULA.
    Use of LA was only announced 18 months ago.

Use of Louisiana was announced 17 years ago.

ps Actually it was "Louisiana's Ragin' Cajuns" as a brand followed by Louisiana.

Point being its far to quick to bolt on LA.

13. Default Re: GROW. THE. BRAND!

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Gombo = okra in french. Need to wear long sleeves when you pick it, and don't let it get too big before picking, it will get hard.
    I recall that the word ‘gumbo’ was an African origin for okra. This article gives a good explanation of the evolution of this wonderful dish.

https://www.southernfoodways.org/int.tory-of-gumbo/

I’ve also had red beans gumbo which is truly great.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    ESPN recently switched from “ULL” to “UL” on their website. Not LA, but it's something.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    ESPN recently switched from “ULL” to “UL” on their website. Not LA, but it's something.
    CBS sports app still uses ULL and LALAF.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information