Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread: 2019 FB G7: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    “ can he stretch the field against better defenses”??? It’s not his job to stretch the field, it’s the receivers job. Last night, 3rd and 7. I couldn’t see the routes run, but Levi quickly decided no one was open so he tucked it and ran. Better secondary’s might over match our receivers. So is Levi supposed to fit it in the mailbox are not take the chance.

I bet he could average 300 yards a game with 12 TDs and 12 ints if he and coach wanted him too. He’s managing the game on purpose.

He’s the best QB we’ve had since Blaine in my opinion, and not 2nd by much. He can make the 20-25 yard throw across the middle to Bam. It’s my favorite pass play. But if the D isn’t giving the middle then it’s outs and 50/50 balls. That’s obviously the game plan.
    I was agreeing with you until your last statement. Broadway was a stud pre-injury.

But yes. Levi Lewis is our best option at this point, and in my non-professional opinion, he is doing a very good job. The kid is a hard worker and very smart. He does have limitations, but he seems to understand what they are and doesn’t try to be something he’s not.

Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

In the way back machine. You are now in the 60s. Ark State comes to MacNaspy to play Cajuns/Bulldogs. They are ranked small college team. Cajuns shock them. A number of games follow with many close games. Their coach becomes head coach at Tulane. Question. Am I dreaming, delusional, bad memory. I still think I was in grad school when this first game occurred. About 67 or 68? Boomer, any help? Had you finished?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    To be fair to the majority of this board there is only one person who thinks Levi should be replaced. Others have pointed out his strengths and areas to improve. However Willis is correct in his point of the success in drives before half. Also, I repeat how often the staff says much of our running game success is due to the correct decisions Levi makes. Finally at Monday’s QB club meeting it was mentioned the App State game atmosphere was causing more excitement on recruiting front. Perhaps we are moving up in pecking order. After all we tell recruits we can now offer P5 living in a G5 world with a coaching staff better than most other places. That is another QB Club tidbit picked up. Hopefully that encourages some of you to attend those meetings. You can go once as guest of a member.
    To be fair I don't think LL is the quarterback of the future nor the quarterback to take us beyond falling short of expectations but and I say but if he's Napier's guy than so be it. Now before you go giving him all the credit for drives before half I would say our running backs played a big role in those score like the Ohio game comes to mind. Last night I'd give him the credit for the drive. His throws weren't great but I'll take a win with LL over a loss with any QB in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun67 View Post
    In the way back machine. You are now in the 60s. Ark State comes to MacNaspy to play Cajuns/Bulldogs. They are ranked small college team. Cajuns shock them. A number of games follow with many close games. Their coach becomes head coach at Tulane. Question. Am I dreaming, delusional, bad memory. I still think I was in grad school when this first game occurred. About 67 or 68? Boomer, any help? Had you finished?
    Bennie Ellender

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    " can he stretch the field against better defenses"??? It's not his job to stretch the field, it's the receivers job. Last night, 3rd and 7. I couldn't see the routes run, but Levi quickly decided no one was open so he tucked it and ran. Better secondary's might over match our receivers. So is Levi supposed to fit it in the mailbox are not take the chance.

I bet he could average 300 yards a game with 12 TDs and 12 ints if he and coach wanted him too. He's managing the game on purpose.

He's the best QB we've had since Blaine in my opinion, and not 2nd by much. He can make the 20-25 yard throw across the middle to Bam. It's my favorite pass play. But if the D isn't giving the middle then it's outs and 50/50 balls. That's obviously the game plan.
    " can he stretch the field against better defenses"??? It's not his job to stretch the field, it's the receivers job."

Excuse me, but it's his job to throw the ball to the right shoulder so the receiver and only the receiver can make a play on the football on the fade route. That's called execution. There are times when the receivers may not run the route correctly or the defensive back has great leverage. But he hasn't shown he can stretch the field with any consistency. I know what I see and I also know what the HC of the program has stated,"We have to get better at stretching the field." Now he has said it multiple times and the fact that you and a few others don't see it doesn't make in inaccurate.

Stopped being so thin skinned about Levi Lewis! I'm not one that has not given him credit for his improvement in decision making and execution of the offense this year. We are 5-2 and in the two games we lost, we did not get the ball down the field enough or accurately at times to keep the other team's defense from stacking the box.

As for him being the best QB since Blaine Gauthier, I would say he would be the third best after a healthy Terrance Broadway whom could carry the team with his legs when he wasn't throwing the football well. Levi Lewis body type doesn't allow him to carry the ball 15 to 20 times a game if necessary.

We are 5-2 right now and all of the teams goals are still attainable. And after a 17 point win in Jonesboro, I'm going to enjoy the weekend. In the meantime, I would like to read the board after a game just one time where some people weren't hammering Levi Lewis on every play and other people aren't acting like his grandmother if someone is pointing out something that is now an established fact.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    " can he stretch the field against better defenses"??? It's not his job to stretch the field, it's the receivers job."

Excuse me, but it's his job to throw the ball to the right shoulder so the receiver and only the receiver can make a play on the football on the fade route. That's called execution. There are times when the receivers may not run the route correctly or the defensive back has great leverage. But he hasn't shown he can stretch the field with any consistency. I know what I see and I also know what the HC of the program as stated,"We have to get better at stretching the field." Now he has said it multiple times and the fact that you and a few others don't see it doesn't make in inaccurate.

Stopped being so thin skinned about Levi Lewis! I'm not one that has not given him credit for his improvement in decision making and execution of the offense this year. We are 5-2 and in the two games we lost, we did not get the ball down the field enough or accurately at times to keep the other team's defense from stacking the box.

As for him being the best QB since Blaine Gauthier, I would say he would be the third best after a healthy Terrance Broadway whom could carry the team with his legs when he wasn't throwing the football well. Levi Lewis body type doesn't allow him to carry the ball 15 to 20 times a game if necessary.

We are 5-2 right now and all of the teams goals are still attainable. And after a 17 point win in Jonesboro, I'm going to enjoy the weekend. In the meantime, I would like to read the board after a game just one time where some people weren't hammering Levi Lewis on every play and other people aren't acting like his grandmother if someone is pointing out something that is now an established fact.

OK....
    Every QB fault is officially known,.....reading it again and again and again and again is chapping my balls. Takes a lot of the fun out of what is shaping up to be an incredible year.

LL has earned Napier's trust, he is our QB for better or worse.....my recommendation? get over it people. Stop the whining and enjoy the fact that with the players we have today on the roster....... we are pretty darn good football team on offense, defense punting are all solid.

FG has loads of upside potential. 🤟

Quote Originally Posted by Policarp View Post
    OK....
    Every QB fault is officially known,.....reading it again and again and again and again is chapping my balls. Takes a lot of the fun out of what is shaping up to be an incredible year.

LL has earned Napier's trust, he is our QB for better or worse.....my recommendation? get over it people. Stop the whining and enjoy the fact that with the players we have today on the roster....... we are pretty darn good football team on offense, defense punting are all solid.

FG has loads of upside potential. 🤟
    Yes, let's get over it! That means people on both sides of the discussion. Thanks for pointing it out. Geaux Cajuns!

This 100000x

I’m pretty sure the 3 step drop and throw fade routes he’s throwing are to a spot. It’s the wr job to get to the spot. Last nights int may have been a bad throw. It didn’t look like Bradley was expecting it that deep.

10. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Bennie Ellender
    .........I was coaching at Jesuit in the ‘71-‘72 year and Ellender was new at Tulane....He was on a local talk show and admitted to my question that he thought Ark St had more talent than the greenies at the time!

11. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    This 100000x
    That's a lot of 1000's in one post.

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .........I was coaching at Jesuit in the ‘71-‘72 year and Ellender was new at Tulane....He was on a local talk show and admitted to my question that he thought Ark St had more talent than the greenies at the time!
    In 1973, I was in Tulane Stadium in New Orleans the night his Greenies beat LSU 14 to 0 to snap a 25 year losing streak. Steve Foley was the QB.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    Bennie Ellender
    Thank you. Arky St. had some good teams and ole Russ had some really good games against them.

I'm not sure I understand your point here. Yes, he lead us to scoring drives right before the halves of both game. But we also were unable to do much offensively in the third quarters of both games afterwards. We were completely shut down against App State in the third quarter and going into the fourth quarter last night we had a total of 45 yards in the second half. And that was after adjustments made in the second quarter by the staff.

Look, I think it's hard to tell how much of the struggles at times to execute are at the QB position and how much falls on the OL, WR, RB or TE. None of us are at practice daily or sitting in the position rooms daily with the coaches. I think all you have stated is correct in that this team has confidence in him as the leader of the offense and play hard for him. We've all witnessed the improvement in his execution and decision making, regardless of those that deny it. The one concern going forward remains, can he stretch the field against better defenses enough to keep them from stacking the box? In order for UL to defeat App St., the staff will have to find a way to get it done with Levi. Grant it, this team is a lot closer to defeating them than any other team we've had since they joined the SBC.

Two reasons to be happy today, we beat Ark. State by 17 points last night and UL controls it's own destiny. Their goals are still attainable at this time.
    Here's my point. At the end of the half you're going for momentum going into the locker room. In several cases, it was in the 2:00 offense. EVERY TIME the team has marched downfield and scored. Does the running game get credit for that? Of course they do. But Levi's completion percentage has been better when the Cajuns have needed it with time being a factor. I personally believe his leadership skills have contributed to that as well. Because he's been so efficient in that role, the Cajuns haven't had to ask him to do this in the final minutes of the game with the contest on the line. I would have been interested to see what would have happened had we gotten a stop late against App.

Excuse me, but it's his job to throw the ball to the right shoulder so the receiver and only the receiver can make a play on the football on the fade route. That's called execution. There are times when the receivers may not run the route correctly or the defensive back has great leverage. But he hasn't shown he can stretch the field with any consistency. I know what I see and I also know what the HC of the program has stated,"We have to get better at stretching the field." Now he has said it multiple times and the fact that you and a few others don't see it doesn't make in inaccurate.

Nobody comes here to state LL is the next Cajun great QB. We do have several people who routinely come here and say he is garbage. In the case of this week those people may have been over served during the game which clouded their judgement. In your case the critique of LL play is spot on although I think it is a little harsh since there are not even 40 college QBs who are capable of making all the throws. In today’s football, turnovers are avoided at all cost. Look at the stats for Jake and other “great” QBs in the 80’s and 90’s. They would be viewed as turnover machines in today’s game. Plays that stretch the field are becoming more and more rare today as coaches control every aspect of the game. Most coaches now want game breakers on the edge who turn a 5 yard play into a 30+ yard play. Unfortunately, we don’t have a WR group who can do that.

Page 47 of 48 FirstFirst ... 37 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread Information