Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread: 2019 FB G7: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

1. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Well, as always, very entertaining thread.

The fact Arkansas State came out in a 3-3-5 defense instead of their normal 4-2-5 caused problems early in the game. (With their injuries up front, I expect they will continue to play the three man front the rest of the way.)

Arkansas State scored on its first possession.

Now, I bring that up to bring this up. I have never seen a Cajun coaching staff as good at making in game adjustments as this staff. Napier adjusted to the new defense and just like that we starting moving the football and getting it in the end zone. After A-State's first touchdown, they didn't get another one until the fourth quarter. Despite their injuries A-State's offense is good. They had scored 92 points in their previous two games....without Marcel Murray, who missed four weeks because of a high ankle sprain.

I thought overall Jacquet did a pretty good job on Bayless. That kid is one helluva receiver. He got his yardage, but we kept him out of the end zone. He had ten TD's coming into the game.

The missed PAT was on Bam. Napier said it on the sidelines immediately when it happened and called Bam over. It's not all on Artigue, though some of you continue to make it so.

Aside from the one throw, Levi had a pretty solid game. In fact, no one on here mentioned that after stAte got within four, Levi was 5-5 passing on the next drive that resulted in a touchdown. He also threw for 38 of the 64 yards we got in the two minutes drill that resulted in the FG at the end of the half. Not enough of you are giving him the credit he deserves and a couple of you need to get your head out of your ___.

I gotta tell ya, that was a happy bunch of young men that got on the plane after the game. They weren't boisterous on the way home, I'm sure they were tired. But they were grinning from ear to ear getting on the plane. And, I talked to most of the coaching staff. They were very, very happy. We all know how tough it is to win up there.

Tweet/FB post of the night goes to football SID Josh Brunner. Winning is a "natural state" of mind. We gave him a big ovation in the van on the way to the airport when we saw this. (For those of you who are challenged, Arkansas is known as the Natural State.)

One more win and you can start the Bowl Game Speculation thread. We all know it's coming. LOL

Three flights. Three wins. Three happy flights home. I really don't know how to act.

I sauntered into the house at 3:00 am. I'm taking the day off today. Going to see the baseball scrimmage today at 2:30. And, they scrimmage tomorrow at 9:00 am.

Have a great weekend. I know I will.

Oh, one more thing. Shoutout to Kirk Trahan. Many of you know him, many don't. He's as big a Cajun Fan as anyone I know. (He's Cajun Monkee on this board.) Kirk can barely see but he's always at Cajun Field (he has someone sitting next to him describing the action or brings a radio to the game). He had unexpected quintuple bypass surgery Wednesday morning. He was listening to the game last night and even messaged me a couple of times. By yesterday he was already out of ICU and into a private room. He's doing great, but keep him in your prayers.
    Love it have a great weekend.

Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    The previous staff though right? The guy that got fired? What she's that have to do with Napier?
    It has nothing to do with Napier. LOL.

But what it did do is cause the QB depth chart to have a bigger learning curve. If anything, Napier has done a fantastic job with what he was given in that position. And yes, that includes Levi. He has come light years ahead from where he was two years ago.

It cracks me up that people are getting personal about this topic. We won last night, the team is 5-2 in control of their own destiny, and it's a beautiful Friday outside. This is a message board. People have different opinions. Some agree, some don't. It is what it is.

3. UL Football Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Oh damn, so y'all saying just go pick us a stud qb off the stud qb tree? Because they grown on trees right? Just stud qb's laying around everywhere. Somebody needs to tell
    The staff they just need a Peyton Manning/ Patrick mahomes type not LL. I'm not sure they are aware how much a stud qb would help them. Personally I like Levi and he is proving me wrong and getting better each week. Hopefully Napier sees on film what letting Levi run will do to open up the offense. at least 4-5 times a game to keep the defense honest.
    Nobody is saying anything like that. You're projecting for sure. Some reasons we got Napier was a belief in his ability to scout, recruit, and organization from his own stops at legendary coaches. We've surrounded him with both recruiting and technical coaches. We're in a great spot. This year is his first true class. I'm not at all sure we don't have a QB stud on the roster. LL is good enough to surly give our freshmen QB time to learn and mature. The other QB also might be very good for the future.

...The kid is a winner.
    Yes he is. So was Nunez.

My argument here is not personal. LL might progress into the QB we need to crash the Access Bowl party next season. Nothing would make me happier.

We are in a special time here BOP. To have a coach like Napier, his staff and our RBs at the same time might not happen again for a while. This window won't be open forever, and I want to go all in.

To do that, we need to not throw 50/50 balls every time we throw it beyond 10 yards.

Let's take a look at something none of you have brought out.

With exception of Texas Southern.....

In EVERY full possession at the end of the first half in EVERY game, the Cajuns have come away with points. In all but the Mississippi State game, the Cajuns had the final possession of the half.

During those possessions, Levi Lewis has been 18-24 for 173 yards.

Miss St-Touchdown
    Liberty-Touchdown
    Ohio-FG
    Georgia Southern FG
    App State -TD
    Ark St. FG

Not a single person on this board has made this observation, probably because you were discussing how Levi isn't good enough.

EVERY TIME we have needed points toward the end of the half, he's led us to points.

The kid is a winner.
    Jay, Lewis does win every game we are suppose to win. What he hasn’t proven yet is winning games where we need the QB to win it for us.

Levi Lewis is the ultimate game manager. He has yet to cost us a game, but he hasn’t won one for us either.

In EVERY full possession at the end of the first half in EVERY game, the Cajuns have come away with points. In all but the Mississippi State game, the Cajuns had the final possession of the half.

Miss St-Touchdown
    Liberty-Touchdown
    Ohio-FG
    Georgia Southern FG
    App State -TD
    Ark St. FG

Not a single person on this board has made this observation, probably because you were discussing how Levi isn't good enough.

EVERY TIME we have needed points toward the end of the half, he's led us to points.

The kid is a winner.
    To be fair to the majority of this board there is only one person who thinks Levi should be replaced. Others have pointed out his strengths and areas to improve. However Willis is correct in his point of the success in drives before half. Also, I repeat how often the staff says much of our running game success is due to the correct decisions Levi makes. Finally at Monday’s QB club meeting it was mentioned the App State game atmosphere was causing more excitement on recruiting front. Perhaps we are moving up in pecking order. After all we tell recruits we can now offer P5 living in a G5 world with a coaching staff better than most other places. That is another QB Club tidbit picked up. Hopefully that encourages some of you to attend those meetings. You can go once as guest of a member.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    There are very few QBs in the entire country who can do both effectively, but where is it written in stone that we have to have a QB who can run?
    My guess is that we do not have recruiting access to the types of players who would be effective in a pro style offense. This year is an exception, but we rarely have OT who can control edge rushers. I think it is highly unlikely UL will ever play pocket passers like Haack, Van Cleave or Jake. They will have to be able to extend played with their feet.

8. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

So why don't you go do it? .... It's not a science and it isn't easy
    The difference between fans and coaches is fans can talk about the last play and a coach can't. Unless he is really talking about "the last play."

Coaches immediately have to move on to the next play, until there is no next play. Fans can talk about "the last play" even if 5 plays pass them by.

Same with recruiting, coaches do it in real time. Time stands still for fans to analyze decisions. Fans are free to analyze where mistakes were made.

"So why don't you go do it?" is the dumbest thing anyone could ever tell a fan.

But you are 100% right about recruiting. "It's not a science and it isn't easy."

Coaches can only look ahead.

9. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Miss St-Touchdown
    Liberty-Touchdown
    Ohio-FG
    Georgia Southern FG
    App State -TD
    Ark St. FG

The kid is a winner.
    Awesome stat. I was totally oblivious to that momentum stat.

ps "winner" status comes at the end of the second half ... Just sayin

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Nobody is saying anything like that. You're projecting for sure. Some reasons we got Napier was a belief in his ability to scout, recruit, and organization from his own stops at legendary coaches. We've surrounded him with both recruiting and technical coaches. We're in a great spot. This year is his first true class. I'm not at all sure we don't have a QB stud on the roster. LL is good enough to surly give our freshmen QB time to learn and mature. The other QB also might be very good for the future.
    He had a QB committed that is on scholarship right now at Georgia, lost him days before signing day. The thing is everybody is looking for great QB’s and there aren’t 300 of them

11. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    . . .
    ps "winner" status comes at the end of the second half ... Just sayin
    Maybe not in all instances. Depends on the perspective. Some bet the 1st half results.

The difference between fans and coaches is fans can talk about the last play and a coach can't. Unless he is really talking about "the last play."

Coaches immediately have to move on to the next play, until there is no next play. Fans can talk about "the last play" even if 5 plays pass them by.

Same with recruiting, coaches do it in real time. Time stands still for fans to analyze decisions. Fans are free to analyze where mistakes were made.

"So why don't you go do it?" is the dumbest thing anyone could ever tell a fan.

But you are 100% right about recruiting. "It's not a science and it isn't easy."

Coaches can only look ahead.
    People act like they aren’t trying to get and don’t want a stud QB. Over half the teams in the nfl can’t find a stud QB and they have millions of dollars to offer to do so.

13. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

You develop a reputation for developing quarterbacks, and the potential recruiting pool will explode.

Same is true for any position.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    To be fair to the majority of this board there is only one person who thinks Levi should be replaced. Others have pointed out his strengths and areas to improve. However Willis is correct in his point of the success in drives before half. Also, I repeat how often the staff says much of our running game success is due to the correct decisions Levi makes. Finally at Monday’s QB club meeting it was mentioned the App State game atmosphere was causing more excitement on recruiting front. Perhaps we are moving up in pecking order. After all we tell recruits we can now offer P5 living in a G5 world with a coaching staff better than most other places. That is another QB Club tidbit picked up. Hopefully that encourages some of you to attend those meetings. You can go once as guest of a member.
    I would LOVE to be able to attend those meetings Cajunsmike, if I lived nearby. It's one of those many nice things you get to do as a Cajuns fan in the Lafayette area.

You develop a reputation for developing quarterbacks, and the potential recruiting pool will explode.

Same is true for any position.
    And I’d say any potential recruit would be thrilled with levi’s development

Page 45 of 48 FirstFirst ... 35 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 LastLast

Thread Information