Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 . LastLast

Thread: 2019 FB G7: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Statistics do not tell the whole story, but Lewis' QBR is the third best in the conference, and he is considerably over average for the country. He played a good game last night, has thrown few interceptions, and has kept many plays alive with his feet. Nobody is suggesting Heisman consideration, but he is a good leader, I believe respected by his teammates, and I don't understand the overt hostility directed towards him by some on here.
    Levi is a good man, and a good QB for us right now. I don't think that most people here would disagree with this, but there is a great deal of frustration within the fanbase.

I think a lot of this stems from just how unbelievable our running game is and how vastly improved our defense is. We are a legit passing QB away from having an Access Bowl level team. That is the truth and the source of the frustration.

Ragas and Mitchell will be Seniors next year. If we don't have that legit passer next season, that would be mission failure by Napier because this is what it will take to make the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by covcaj View Post
    Statistics do not tell the whole story, but Lewis' QBR is the third best in the conference, and he is considerably over average for the country. He played a good game last night, has thrown few interceptions, and has kept many plays alive with his feet. Nobody is suggesting Heisman consideration, but he is a good leader, I believe respected by his teammates, and I don't understand the overt hostility directed towards him by some on here.
    QBR is questionable at best, I tend to look at overall results and performance on the football field. Anyone that suggest Levi Lewis has not improved as a leader and with decision making on the football field is not being honest. And anyone that suggest Lewis is above average at QB is equally dishonest.

The difference between last weeks results and last night's game is pretty simple to understand. The game plan and the opponent on the other side of the line of scrimmage. Coach Napier had to adjust his game plane because Ark. State came out and played a 3-3 Stake defensively, something they haven't done all season. But he didn't ask LL to do anything he wasn't comfortable and capable of executing on the football field. Outside of the poor throw to the wrong shoulder on the interception, he stayed within himself. The difference last night was UL didn't have to push the ball down field to have success on offense. Coach Napier spread the ball around enough to take advantage of their changes on the defensive side of the football. Against a better opponent like App. State, our offense won't be as successful without stretching the defense down field at times.

Anyway, it's a good win on the road by 17 points. Let's enjoy it!

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I believe he had 2 game changing runs last night.
    outside of that one bad throw for the int at end zone, he made some crucial 3rd down throws at the end. Who knows, maybe Naps letting him use his feet etc is presenting a more comfortable zone for him. We wont win strictly on his arm but its appearing he can accentuate our run game with his running threat which makes his passing game better.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Levi is a good man, and a good QB for us right now. I don't think that most people here would disagree with this, but there is a great deal of frustration within the fanbase.

I think a lot of this stems from just how unbelievable our running game is and how vastly improved our defense is. We are a legit passing QB away from having an Access Bowl level team. That is the truth and the source of the frustration.

Ragas and Mitchell will be Seniors next year. If we don't have that legit passer next season, that would be mission failure by Napier because this is what it will take to make the next level.
    You know a lot about college football and you have a lot of great insights, but I do not see what you are seeing. A top 20 offense would steamroll this defensive unit. We do not have the speed or coverage ability on the back 7 to contend with top tier teams. We are light years ahead of the past few years, but I still think we would get embarrassed in a NY6 even with a top QB.
    One more thing I don’t understand is why you want to throw it more. Our OL is much better at run blocking and we have only one difference maker at the WR position. Some of our WR/TE are actually better blockers than they are pass catchers.
    I to wish we had a better passer, but obviously we do not have a better QB or they would be playing right now. Sadly, there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans on this board when Lewis beats out all these QBs next year.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post

Very true.

Well, as always, very entertaining thread.

The fact Arkansas State came out in a 3-3-5 defense instead of their normal 4-2-5 caused problems early in the game. (With their injuries up front, I expect they will continue to play the three man front the rest of the way.)

Arkansas State scored on its first possession.

Now, I bring that up to bring this up. I have never seen a Cajun coaching staff as good at making in game adjustments as this staff. Napier adjusted to the new defense and just like that we starting moving the football and getting it in the end zone. After A-State's first touchdown, they didn't get another one until the fourth quarter. Despite their injuries A-State's offense is good. They had scored 92 points in their previous two gameswithout Marcel Murray, who missed four weeks because of a high ankle sprain.

I thought overall Jacquet did a pretty good job on Bayless. That kid is one helluva receiver. He got his yardage, but we kept him out of the end zone. He had ten TD's coming into the game.

The missed PAT was on Bam. Napier said it on the sidelines immediately when it happened and called Bam over. It's not all on Artigue, though some of you continue to make it so.

Aside from the one throw, Levi had a pretty solid game. In fact, no one on here mentioned that after stAte got within four, Levi was 5-5 passing on the next drive that resulted in a touchdown. He also threw for 38 of the 64 yards we got in the two minutes drill that resulted in the FG at the end of the half. Not enough of you are giving him the credit he deserves and a couple of you need to get your head out of your ___.

I gotta tell ya, that was a happy bunch of young men that got on the plane after the game. They weren't boisterous on the way home, I'm sure they were tired. But they were grinning from ear to ear getting on the plane. And, I talked to most of the coaching staff. They were very, very happy. We all know how tough it is to win up there.

Tweet/FB post of the night goes to football SID Josh Brunner. Winning is a "natural state" of mind. We gave him a big ovation in the van on the way to the airport when we saw this. (For those of you who are challenged, Arkansas is known as the Natural State.)

One more win and you can start the Bowl Game Speculation thread. We all know it's coming. LOL

Three flights. Three wins. Three happy flights home. I really don't know how to act.

I sauntered into the house at 3:00 am. I'm taking the day off today. Going to see the baseball scrimmage today at 2:30. And, they scrimmage tomorrow at 9:00 am.

Have a great weekend. I know I will.

Oh, one more thing. Shoutout to Kirk Trahan. Many of you know him, many don't. He's as big a Cajun Fan as anyone I know. (He's Cajun Monkee on this board.) Kirk can barely see but he's always at Cajun Field (he has someone sitting next to him describing the action or brings a radio to the game). He had unexpected quintuple bypass surgery Wednesday morning. He was listening to the game last night and even messaged me a couple of times. By yesterday he was already out of ICU and into a private room. He's doing great, but keep him in your prayers.

7. Default Re: FB Final: Louisiana 37, Arkansas State 20

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I to wish we had a better passer, but obviously we do not have a better QB or they would be playing right now. Sadly, there are going to be a lot of disappointed fans on this board when Lewis beats out all these QBs next year.
    The disappointment isn’t with LL but recruiting at QB not as expected.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    The disappointment isn’t with LL but recruiting at QB not as expected.
    I think people here forget where we are in the recruiting pecking order. There are very few QBs in our recruiting footprint who can run and pass effectively. All are scooped up by the P5s. We are left with players who have a weakness in one area, are undersized or are coming off of injuries. I like that Napier brought in a bunch of different QB projects. I feel it is likely one of those guys will end up being a top tier SBC QB. Until we become a more desirable landing spot for QB’s we will have to go with this approach.

Oh damn, so y’all saying just go pick us a stud qb off the stud qb tree? Because they grown on trees right? Just stud qb’s laying around everywhere. Somebody needs to tell
    The staff they just need a Peyton Manning/ Patrick mahomes type not LL. I’m not sure they are aware how much a stud qb would help them. Personally I like Levi and he is proving me wrong and getting better each week. Hopefully Napier sees on film what letting Levi run will do to open up the offense. at least 4-5 times a game to keep the defense honest.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    You know a lot about college football and you have a lot of great insights, but I do not see what you are seeing. A top 20 offense would steamroll this defensive unit. We do not have the speed or coverage ability on the back 7 to contend with top tier teams. We are light years ahead of the past few years, but I still think we would get embarrassed in a NY6 even with a top QB.
    One more thing I don’t understand is why you want to throw it more. Our OL is much better at run blocking and we have only one difference maker at the WR position. Some of our WR/TE are actually better blockers than they are pass catchers.
    You would be amazed at what a highly potent passing attack (not just QB) could do against better overall talent. To simplify, we can beat a lot of mid to lower level FBS teams with what we have, but to beat good teams consistently, we need a passing QB. I like last nights win, it's great and enjoyable, but I do want more for this program, and that's my whole emphasis when writing about the need to start preparing now with a passing QB for our future.

Levi has done a great job taking what the defense gives him. Do I wish he would use his legs a little more? Do I wish we could pass up the middle more often? Sure. He has his ups and downs at time, and I'm not going to sit here and say that he is some all-conference juggernaut just yet. He's a scrambler who throws well on roll outs, and he knows how to manage a game. But he hasn't done anything to cost us games, and we are sitting here with a 5-2 record going into a lengthy bye week. That is something that he has played a huge role in. Judging from the past 5 years with our team and the QB carousel that we had to deal with, that's progress.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We could have a washout Bama reject.
    Don't you mean Arkansas? Didn’t have great success with the Refineryville reject. We were never on Hurt’s radar.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Oh damn, so y’all saying just go pick us a stud qb off the stud qb tree? Because they grown on trees right? Just stud qb’s laying around everywhere. Somebody needs to tell
    The staff they just need a Peyton Manning/ Patrick mahomes type not LL. I’m not sure they are aware how much a stud qb would help them. Personally I like Levi and he is proving me wrong and getting better each week. Hopefully Napier sees on film what letting Levi run will do to open up the offense. at least 4-5 times a game to keep the defense honest.
    You would be surprised at some of the QB's that were passed on by our previous coaching staff. One of them is starting in the NFL now. And another one is starting for an SEC team.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    You would be surprised at some of the QB's that were passed on by our previous coaching staff. One of them is starting in the NFL now. And another one is starting for an SEC team.
    So why don’t you go do it? How many other schools passed on those same guys? Care to bring up the others that were passed on they never amounted to ___? If it were easy everybody could do it. Having the benefit of hindsight is easy thing to use to criticize people. Everybody in the nfl passed on Tom
    Brady including the patriots 6 times. Recruiting us trying to project what a 16-17 year old will be when he is 20-21. It’s not a science and it isn’t easy

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    You would be amazed at what a highly potent passing attack (not just QB) could do against better overall talent. To simplify, we can beat a lot of mid to lower level FBS teams with what we have, but to beat good teams consistently, we need a passing QB. I like last nights win, it's great and enjoyable, but I do want more for this program, and that's my whole emphasis when writing about the need to start preparing now with a passing QB for our future.
    I would not be amazed. If Tua or Joe B was at UL we would be tearing it up. We would also have a more dynamic passing game if we had signed LA products Jamarr Chase and Justin Jefferson out of HS. None of these things fit the reality we live in. It is the staffs job to look past the flaws of the QBs and WR we have a chance to get and then project them into our system. The jury is still out but I think this staff is up for the challenge.

Page 43 of 48 FirstFirst . 33 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 . LastLast

Thread Information