Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Southern Oaks Country Club Abbeville

Default Re: Lafayette City Golf Courses Closed, Abbeville Open

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I’ve called and been told no by every course. It’s been a few years but the whole reason I joined OCC was over the policy.
    I've seen kids not older than 10 or 11 playing with their parents at Muni and VC. I grew up playing with my dad at VC when I was 9. That would be crazy.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I've seen kids not older than 10 or 11 playing with their parents at Muni and VC. I grew up playing with my dad at VC when I was 9. That would be crazy.
    It’s outrageous. I’ve told David, point blank, “Grow the game my ___.”

We use to have to drive to Squirrel in NI to get on the course with my daughter.

Default Re: Lafayette City Golf Courses Closed, Abbeville Open

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I’ve called and been told no by every course. It’s been a few years but the whole reason I joined OCC was over the policy.

Played Sunday at VC and their were many kids in the range from 8-14 playing with their fathers/grandfathers. I think as long as they are playing with adult supervision, they allow it. I think the guidelines say no, but when you show up with the kids, they do not say no. And as long as they have their own clubs. You know they want every possible $ they can get out of it.

UL Golf Abbeville Golf course (Southern Oaks)

Anybody played recently? Is it in good shape? Looking to go walk 18 tommorow afternoon. It's either there or the Farm.

Default Re: Abbeville Golf course

I have played The Farm, Southern Oaks (Abbeville) and Bayou Bend (Crowley) all in the last 4 weeks. Southern Oaks is in decent shape, but will be much better this summer. Stay away from the Farm. Fairways are nice but no grass on the greens. Way too much money for the present shape of the course. But they have a new golf superintendent, Landon Wickstrom, that will be able to do wonders with that course in hopefully a short time.

Bayou Bend is in the best shape of the 3 courses mentioned. Only one fairway had some issues, but the greens are in decent shape. For the money right now, Bayou Bend is the leader.

However, I drove by the old Squirrel Run. I talked to a few golfers coming off the course. They all said it was comparable to the Wetlands as far as the condition of the course.

Hoped this helped. Have fun and hit 'em straight.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post
    I have played The Farm, Southern Oaks (Abbeville) and Bayou Bend (Crowley) all in the last 4 weeks. Southern Oaks is in decent shape, but will be much better this summer. Stay away from the Farm. Fairways are nice but no grass on the greens. Way too much money for the present shape of the course. But they have a new golf superintendent, Landon Wickstrom, that will be able to do wonders with that course in hopefully a short time.

Bayou Bend is in the best shape of the 3 courses mentioned. Only one fairway had some issues, but the greens are in decent shape. For the money right now, Bayou Bend is the leader.

However, I drove by the old Squirrel Run. I talked to a few golfers coming off the course. They all said it was comparable to the Wetlands as far as the condition of the course.

Great info. Thanks!

7. Default Re: Abbeville Golf course

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Anybody played recently? Is it in good shape? Looking to go walk 18 tommorow afternoon. It's either there or the Farm.
    Louisiana basketball alum Rhett Hebert says come play Southern Oaks Country Club.

I plan on going soon.

I have played it the 3 times this month. Greens are pretty good rest of the course is playable, pretty much like it used to be. #4 is still a beast, and always seems to be into the wind.

It's good enough to walk and greens are not terrible played about 3 weeks ago .. It's a very easy course great for an ego boost

Quote Originally Posted by Jacob81 View Post
    I have played it the 3 times this month. Greens are pretty good rest of the course is playable, pretty much like it used to be. #4 is still a beast, and always seems to be into the wind
    Hole 17 was my first ever birdie

11. Default Re: Abbeville Golf course

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Dove, blue jay, robin, black bird?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    An average tee shot puts you inside 200 yards. Anything worse than birdie on that hole is a disappointment.

This is usually my favorite time of the year with the Masters , baseball and NCAA bball tournament. One would think all the courses would be open right now with nothing much to do. There is no better sport to play than golf during this quarantine!

I may have to play the old Squirrel run for the first time this weekend.

I played at Eagle Ridge in Cade last week. Pretty nice little course, pretty tight and small greens that were in good shape. Easy course to walk for $19.00.

15. Default

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint08 View Post

Heard many good things about the SR reboot. May have check it out soon.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information