Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: GA Southern Roll Call

Default Re: GA Southern Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by SleepyEagle View Post
    I'll echo all of GSUEagle08's comments, except for Vandy's. Please don't eat there and think that's the quality of real Southern BBQ. Some of the best I ever had is about 40 minutes south in Glennville at the Rusty Pig.
    Concur with this. Rusty Pig is awesome. Vandy’s is nowhere near the quality of great Southern BBQ.

Quote Originally Posted by GSUEagle08 View Post
    Greetings from South Georgia!

I wanted to give some of you guys a few tidbits if you are coming to Statesboro and/or Savannah this weekend. Hope to meet some of you this weekend and you enjoy your stay (and want to come back!) As far as getting to Statesboro, flying to Savannah would be your best option. Atlanta is about 200 miles (or 3 hours) to the north (and that’s depending on the traffic which can be horrible). Augusta is about 90 miles to the north and would be your second-best option.

For Statesboro, a few places you will want to visit are:

• Note: Transportation (e.g. Lyft/Uber) can be scarce. It will take a while to get one, so plan early to get one.
    • Parking: Buy before Saturday to save $10. The Performing Arts Center (“PAC”) and Recreation Activity Center (“RAC”) have parking. A lot of great tailgating in the PAC, so I would suggest parking there.

1. Eagle Creek Brewing Company: This is a very laid-back local brewery in downtown Statesboro with beer brewed in house. The food is pretty good for “bar food.” The demographic is a mixed crowd (e.g. late 20s to 30s/40s) and will likely have a band playing on stage. TVs with games will also be, too.

2. Gnats Landing: Right on The Blue Mile and across from the football practice field is “Gnats.” A bit of a dive, the drinks are cheap and the patio is great for mingling. Chug a few brews and head on.

3. Dingus Magee’s: The quintessential college town/fraternity and sorority bar that’s been around for 40 years or so. It is directly across from campus on the corner of Chandler Rd and Georgia Ave. Good place to grab a quick drink before or after the game.

4. The Blue Room: This has become the “it” place for Statesboro of late. The dance club/bar is right beside Paulson Stadium. There is usually a very long line to get in after the game. Also, there is usually a cover of $5-$10 (Bring cash. The ATM inside charges a crazy fee). There is a large indoor bar with a stage and band, in addition to a large outdoor patio with benches, another bar, and cornhole and other bar games. This place gets packed, but it’s a good time. The crowd is usually the “college age,” but given it’s family weekend and a football game, there will be a mix.

5. Southern Social: Down the road from The Blue Room and Paulson Stadium is Southern Social. Like The Blue Room, this too is usually pretty busy. There is a large dance floor and outdoor patio by a lake that is quite pleasant. They serve daiquiris that are pretty good, too. TVs with the games are on as well.

6. Vandy’s BBQ: A staple of Statesboro, Vandy’s BBQ has been around for about 90 years. It’s a decent BBQ joint. When I was at school I always would order the chopped BBQ plate, Brunswick Stew and Okra. There are two locations. Downtown on West Vine St and the other is at the Statesboro Mall on Northside Dr.

7. El Sombrero: A go to Mexican restaurant from my college days (and when I come down to visit for games, friends, etc.), you can’t go wrong with a meal before or after a game. The three locations have a different vibe. The “college vibe” is downtown off Fair Rd, the “locals” is off Northside Dr and Savannah Ave, and the new, large location is behind Wal-Mart off Northside Dr. All are very good and I would suggest the burritos or enchiladas (with chips and salsa, of course).

8. Millhouse: If you’re craving a steak with an ice cold brew, Millhouse is a good option down from Paulson Stadium on 301 bypass. It gets pretty busy, but the food is decent and relatively inexpensive.

For Savannah, which is about 50 miles southeast of Statesboro on I-16, a few options this weekend:
    1. Historic District: When you think of “Deep South” and Georgia, this is the area. The two is divided into Squares (Fun Fact: Forrest Gump was filmed at Chippewa Square and the bench is in the museum down the road). A quick note on parking. They have decks, but fill quickly, especially on the weekend. The Squares are now all pay, too. The price is about $12 for the day. The touristy area, but great to visit, is River Street. One of my favorite bars to visit is Kevin Barry’s. It’s an old Irish Pub and well worth a stop for pint. If you have mobility issues, be careful. Due to the age of the streets, many are cobble stone and difficult to get around. Off of River Street, there is Churchill’s on Bay St, Abe’s on Lincoln. If you’re into breweries, Service Brewing Co is fantastic. It is owned an operated by former military and the beer is very good. Another brewery that is good is Two Tides.

2. Sightseeing: Bonaventure Cemetery (as seen in the film “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil), Forsyth Park, Mrs. Wilkes (great Southern food), Mercer House, Leopold’s Ice Cream, and the Pirate House are all worth a visit.
    Stronly suggest Bonaventure cemetary ad well as The Green Truck Resturant!

Me and three buddies are going to make it, do we get tickets at GaSo or those UL have any.

You may want to try Eagle Creak Brewing company if you like craft beers. I've never been their but it's getting 4-5 stare reviews.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti.o_Georgia.html

FOOD
    http://www.eaglecreekbrewingco.com/menus

Some restraints & reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura.o_Georgia.html

5. Default Re: GA Southern Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    You may want to try Eagle Creak Brewing company if you like craft beers. I've never been their but it's getting 4-6 stare reviews.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti.o_Georgia.html

FOOD
    http://www.eaglecreekbrewingco.com/menus

Some restraints & reviews

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaura.o_Georgia.html
    .So how about a direction or 10 on how to watch the game in DeRidder.what about in Lafayette?

6. Default Re: GA Southern Roll Call

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    .So how about a direction or 10 on how to watch the game in DeRidder.what about in Lafayette?
    No ESPN in deridder - no internet there.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun Soldier View Post
    Me and three buddies are going to make it, do we get tickets at GaSo or those UL have any.
    Get tickets at gaso, sit in UL section H, get your parking pass when ordering ticket, $3 service charge, $20 ticket $10 parking

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    Is Uber/Lyft readily available downtown and around the stadium? We're staying at an Airbnb a mile or 2 from campus, and I'd really like to leave my car there and not have to worry about parking.
    I have no idea but it is on ESPN+ which I may have to buy or go to the game.

Your website should be able to connect you to a radio broadcast.

Maybe go to the official GSU football board and see if you can get radio or broadcast there.

Bump a rump

Quote Originally Posted by GSUsTALON View Post
    I have no idea but it is on ESPN+ which I may have to buy or go to the game.

Your website should be able to connect you to a radio broadcast.

Maybe go to the official GSU football board and see if you can get radio or broadcast there.
    Don't spoon feed him. He does this for just about every away game in every sport.

Boomer, you do realize you are asking a GSU fan (in Georgia) for tips on watching an away game in Louisiana, right?

Greetings from South Georgia!

I wanted to give some of you guys a few tidbits if you are coming to Statesboro and/or Savannah this weekend. Hope to meet some of you this weekend and you enjoy your stay (and want to come back!) As far as getting to Statesboro, flying to Savannah would be your best option. Atlanta is about 200 miles (or 3 hours) to the north (and that’s depending on the traffic which can be horrible). Augusta is about 90 miles to the north and would be your second-best option.

For Savannah, which is about 50 miles southeast of Statesboro on I-16, a few options this weekend:
    1. Historic District: When you think of “Deep South” and Georgia, this is the area. The two is divided into Squares (Fun Fact: Forrest Gump was filmed at Chippewa Square and the bench is in the museum down the road). A quick note on parking. They have decks, but fill quickly, especially on the weekend. The Squares are now all pay, too. The price is about $12 for the day. The touristy area, but great to visit, is River Street. One of my favorite bars to visit is Kevin Barry’s. It’s an old Irish Pub and well worth a stop for pint. If you have mobility issues, be careful. Due to the age of the streets, many are cobble stone and difficult to get around. Off of River Street, there is Churchill’s on Bay St, Abe’s on Lincoln. If you’re into breweries, Service Brewing Co is fantastic. It is owned an operated by former military and the beer is very good. Another brewery that is good is Two Tides.

2. Sightseeing: Bonaventure Cemetery (as seen in the film “Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil), Forsyth Park, Mrs. Wilkes (great Southern food), Mercer House, Leopold’s Ice Cream, and the Pirate House are all worth a visit.
    I’ve never been to Statesboro but can concur that Savanah is a nice place to visit especially if you are into history. The buildings, layout of the squares and the cobblestone streets near the river are Very impressive.

When I went, I rented a scooter and was able to zip around and cover a lot of ground. The cobblestones made for a bumpy ride in certain areas though.

As T mentioned, there are some rough areas/ housing projects next to the downtown area. Stay away from there if you can.

Concur with this. Rusty Pig is awesome. Vandy’s is nowhere near the quality of great Southern BBQ.
    Do you guys sell beer in the stadium?

I understand it's not offered.see you boys tomorrow!

We currently do not sale beer at the stadium.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information