Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst . 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 . LastLast

Thread: 2019 FB G4: Louisiana 45, Ohio 25

Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I don't agree that Broadway was not as good taking care of the ball as Levi. You may be speaking of picks vs fumbles however. One thing that is overlooked is that some of our successful running plays are because of the calls Levi makes at the line. Coach Napier has mentioned at QB Club meetings that having a QB as smart as Levi is a real factor in making this offense go. I share the downfield passing concerns CajunT has mentioned but we are doing a good job of overcoming that limitation to date.
    Broadway should not be included in that list of names. His stats and QB performance was good, mainly before he hurt his arm. Many people have those downfield passing concerns.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Levi obviously has a good head on his shoulders. I think Jerry Babb may be the only other QB that we've had who has pursued an Engineering degree while also putting in the time to play football.
    Brian Mitchell also was in engineering at UL. Don't believe he earned his degree but Mitchell was recruited by the likes of Stanford out of high school because of his academics.

I don't agree that Broadway was not as good taking care of the ball as Levi. You may be speaking of picks vs fumbles however. One thing that is overlooked is that some of our successful running plays are because of the calls Levi makes at the line. Coach Napier has mentioned at QB Club meetings that having a QB as smart as Levi is a real factor in making this offense go. I share the downfield passing concerns CajunT has mentioned but we are doing a good job of overcoming that limitation to date.
    This is a good point I hadn't really considered. We all agree that the strength of this team is the running game and having a QB that can get us into the correct running play is a big plus.

I would be interested to know if Napier thinks this is just a function of study time and experience for the other QBs on the roster. If so, outside of leadership, this would be the best explanation of why Napier believes LL is the best option at this time that I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Broadway should not be included in that list of names. His stats and QB performance was good, mainly before he hurt his arm. Many people have those downfield passing concerns.
    Broadway was a limited passer his Senior year and rarely threw down the field. Right now Lewis is on pace to throw more TDs, less INTs, and more yards than Broadway's Sr year. It remains to be seen if he can continue his pace. One thing that is not up for debate is that Broadway was a superior runner.

5. Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Ohio

.Speaking of Bwayloved how he would run the clock in the 4th quarter to preserve a winrunning the clock doesn’t seem to be an emphasis now, but the chains kept on moving to the end zone!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Broadway was a limited passer his Senior year and rarely threw down the field. Right now Lewis is on pace to throw more TDs, less INTs, and more yards than Broadway's Sr year. It remains to be seen if he can continue his pace. One thing that is not up for debate is that Broadway was a superior runner.
    Like I said, there was a big difference before and after his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    As I am 'between opportunities' right now, I have quite a bit of time on my hands. As such, I went through every box score for the last four years and I now must admit I was wrong about Calais. It turns out that the next punt return he has for the Cajuns will be his first.
    Holy crap. That's some diligence.

Broadway also never properly recovered from his junior year injury which affected his play his senior year. He did have the great bowl game in his final contest against Nevada.

Broadway also never properly recovered from his junior year injury which affected his play his senior year. He did have the great bowl game in his final contest against Nevada.
    I agree. Just pointing out Levi is on pace to be the best QB we have had in 6 seasons. Across the board we have upgraded the roster. Exciting times.

Quote Originally Posted by Rainman66 View Post
    As I am 'between opportunities' right now, I have quite a bit of time on my hands. As such, I went through every box score for the last four years and I now must admit I was wrong about Calais. It turns out that the next punt return he has for the Cajuns will be his first.
    Thanks for the info. I gotta slow down on the Crown Royal on game day.

He does run back kick offs though right?

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Levi obviously has a good head on his shoulders. I think Jerry Babb may be the only other QB that we've had who has pursued an Engineering degree while also putting in the time to play football.
    63-66, Bill Bayard, split time at QB with O’Neal Weber, graduated in Elec Engr. Bill ran, Weber threw. Interestingly, Brad Hamilton, All American lineman Also played and graduated in Elec Engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Brian Mitchell also was in engineering at UL. Don't believe he earned his degree but Mitchell was recruited by the likes of Stanford out of high school because of his academics.
    True. Head of Chem E at the time interviewed Brian. Had one of the highest ACT scores at UL that year. Brian had scheduling issues with labs as he progressed and changed majors. I believe like Toney he finished early. But that last part is fuzzy. Darn Basil H.

I agree. Just pointing out Levi is on pace to be the best QB we have had in 6 seasons. Across the board we have upgraded the roster. Exciting times.
    Being critical of Levi Lewis doesn’t mean I think he sucks. The kid is a winner. He flat out wins. That doesn’t always mean we have to exaggerate what he is. He hasn’t taken over a game like Desormeaux or Brian Mitchell was able to do.

But aside from the Miss St game he hasn’t cost us a game either. His glaring weakness is downfield passing. Eventually we will need to hit on downfield passing to WIN a game. We haven’t had to yet, but when that time comes Lewis will have to make those throws. Can he do that? I’m not sure.

Will Levi Lewis lead us to 8-10 wins, absolutely. If we limit turnovers, we will win at least 5 of our last 8 games and that’s being very conservative.

Could Dez or Mitchell complete downfield throws regularly? I think we can win every game left on our schedule by dominating the LOS, running it, completing occasional mid range throws, and taking a couple of shots downfield. I'd love to have a guy who can make all the throws, but we don't. We have a smart athletic guy who is learning every game how to manage the game and limit turnovers. I'll take it. It's not that we shouldn't watch with critical eyes, and that it's not sometimes frustrating, I mean we can all see his limitations, it's just that it's like it has to be posted over, and over and over again as if it's new information that we can somehow change by pointing it out again. We got it, he ain't Brett Favre.

15. Default Re: Live Game Talk: Louisiana vs. Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by cajun67 View Post
    63-66, Bill Bayard, split time at QB with O'Neal Weber, graduated in Elec Engr. Bill ran, Weber threw. Interestingly, Brad Hamilton, All American lineman Also played and graduated in Elec Engineering.
    .Ah yea, remember when they would come to my room for help in their Trig homework.lolactually O’Neal was my roommate for a bit with a REALLY THICK Cajun accentbefore FGs and Ex puts he would say “come on roomie you can make it”I would almost laugh it was so different.and Introduced Bill to his future bride (Bill and I shared some crazy times back in the day).but we did turn the thing around and won a championship!

Page 56 of 62 FirstFirst . 46 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 . LastLast

Thread Information