Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . LastLast

Thread: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Default Re: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Over the last several years, The Vermilion has turned into absolute garbage with absolutely no journalistic integrity by writers and editors.

Check out this article: https://www.thevermilion.com/news/ul.6a678d19f.html

Here are several excerpts (in italics) from the article:

"According to anonymous sources, the University of Louisiana atLafayette has a secret committee for its new school mascot. The student, who wished to remain anonymous, said he overheard from someone that the university was searching for a new mascot and the all of the members on committee signed NDAs."

The article is based off of an anonymous source who overheard someone else (also anonymous). What type of editor would allow an article be published based off of hearsay from an anonymous source? Later in the article, a second anonymous source is quoted:

"Another student who wished to remain anonymous said she heard about the secret committee from Amy Windsor, social media strategist for UL Lafayette."

.and last but not least, a quote from an anonymous source who can't remember where she heard something:

The anonymous student did say three ideas for the new mascot were mentioned with the committee: "I can't remember where I heard this but the top-three they were considering were a bulldog, a pelican and a gator," she said.

So apparently at The Vermilion you can write whatever you want and quote multiple anonymous sources to back your claims.

Glad to see some push back from recent alum and former athletes challenging the student body

Quote Originally Posted by GreatestStory View Post
    Over the last several years, The Vermilion has turned into absolute garbage with absolutely no journalistic integrity by writers and editors.
    It goes way beyond the Vermilion. Once everyone gained the ability to reach millions by simple possession of a keyboard and an internet connection the whole concept of journalism was turned on its head.

There have been a number of lawsuits through the years regarding what constitutes a "journalist" and who is afforded the protections of "freedom of the press".

It is a shat show these days. I'm not sure how you correct it but it is a common problem with people not understanding the difference in the ability to publish your personal opinions on social media with writing a journalistic piece for a publication as fact.

The editor in chief could have easily handled this by stating that the article was the opinion of the writer and then apologized for not clearly defining it as an opinion piece because that is obviously what it was.

fyi.Student publications at UL are independent of the academia. There is legal precedent for this and the administrations hands are tied to a large extent. However with that said there are a lot of things that could be done to improve things that I believe would be welcomed by all sides but someone needs to start those talks and it has never happened to my knowleged.

4. Default Re: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Protesting UL games?

Now these schit-for-brains losers are going to protest the games? What have they been doing since 2016, forgetting to go?

Thanks Otha, thanks John, thanks Norman. Appreciate the push back, but none of this is about the tailgating, the games, or the team. It's all about the writer and the group that wants to have something to bhitch about.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Glad to see some push back from recent alum and former athletes challenging the student body

Good to see.

Just like the fans that complaint about parking. You're not coming anyway. Even if it's free, you'll find another excuse.

Who knows? Maybe this stupid thing might actually result in a better turnout from people just coming because attendance has been a hotter topic the past 36 hours.

6. Default Re: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Ms Smith's reporting/opinion fit the scope of her research.

Jay's main point is that she didn't do enough research.

On a side note (related) Kerry Maggard describes her husband as a relentless researcher.

My takeaway from the Maggard side of the equation is; Before he made any move having to do with tailgating, he did 1000 more times the research the author did.

Her story matched her research, I can't take that away from her.

Jay is right though.

7. Default Re: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

On a side note (related) Kerry Maggard describes her husband as a relentless researcher.

My takeaway from the Maggard side of the equation is; Before he made any move having to do with tailgating, he did 1000 more times the research the author did.

Jay is right though.
    Her research source is the Encyclopedia Brittanica.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post

Jay is right though.
    Turb—I sent her and the Verm a reply that included Jay’s piece, and asked her to next time
    try writing a FACTUAL piece with actual sources, and she blocked me!!

She sure won’t go very far in journalism with that thin of a skin!!

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post
    Turb—I sent her and the Verm a reply that included Jay’s piece, and asked her to next time

She probably didn’t even read it. Man, the world will open a can of whoop on her after college.

Quote Originally Posted by barisaxman View Post

So she's a snowflake. No surprise there

WTF??????????

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    WTF??????????

Whatever gets em to the game.

Time to kill this thread and dialogue with people trying to create an issue where none exists. Our team is solid and does not need snowflake distractions. T-Joe needs to clip some wings, that is one thing the Fossil was good at.

Yep. Time for T-Joe to put this one to rest.

The kid may be just dumb enough not to recognize her wrongs and she's about to "mess up the church's money".

Apparently a lot of students feel just like her. Even though she was factually wrong pretty much throughout her article, most students feel the same as she does. So we DO have a problem and it needs to be addressed!!! They aren't coming and they aren't coming for one or more reasons. The admin needs to figure it out.

Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 . LastLast

Thread Information