Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . LastLast

Thread: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Default Re: Growing Pains: Student Tailgating

Quote Originally Posted by zeppelincajun View Post

I’ll just be honest and say that if I was Dr. Maggard I wouldn’t exactly know how to respond to this. The issues being raised on Twitter this week are overwhelmingly coming from black students. I would hope Dr. Maggard will be able to reach out to various on campus organizations led by black students and leaders and engage them in a productive discussion about their concerns. Only problem is: most productive discussions do not stem from inaccurate attacks which is how this whole ordeal started.

I do not envy the POA in this situation. Many complaints stem from the atmosphere not being “lit” like at SU or LSU. I understand the writer for the Vermilion mentioned not actually needing the band to play “Neck.” However, take a look at the comment section of any LSU video of their band playing “Neck.” It will be filled with commenters from the HBCU’s claiming cultural appropriation and theft from the black bands’ traditions. The HBCU bands have a wonderful tradition that cannot and honestly shouldn’t be replicated as it’s theirs and unique to those institutions. It’s seems like a bit of a political minefield and “Damned if You Do, Damned if You Don’t” situation to me. It’s a fine line to walk when you have to worry about upsetting 1. the older fans if you change the music 2. the younger fans if you don’t change the music or 3. the younger fans who will cry thievery if you too blatantly adopt the sound of other bands.

Truly I don’t envy anyone associated with the university who will be tasked with navigating this situation. However, our black students and student athletes are obviously important to the future success of this university. If they feel unheard or attacked, our administration should take time to listen. I definitely can’t fault Jay or Dr. Maggard’s initial responses to the article. If you converse with someone, you have a decent chance of a dialogue. If you attack someone, they will either defend themselves or attack back.
    So the university is only concerned about black attendance? OK. I hate when people play the race card. It often clouds their ability for reasonable thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    WTF??????????

What in the actual ____ is this?!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Protesting UL games?

Now these schit-for-brains losers are going to protest the games? What have they been doing since 2016, forgetting to go?

Thanks Otha, thanks John, thanks Norman. Appreciate the push back, but none of this is about the tailgating, the games, or the team. It's all about the writer and the group that wants to have something to bhitch about.
    Based on our student attendance the last few years, I would have thought they were already protesting the games.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunDreDog View Post
    Apparently a lot of students feel just like her. Even though she was factually wrong pretty much throughout her article, most students feel the same as she does. So we DO have a problem and it needs to be addressed!!! They aren't coming and they aren't coming for one or more reasons. The admin needs to figure it out.
    Dre, what are you basing your opinion on? Are you reading just her feed?

I’m truly wondering what these “protesters” specifically want from UL. I mean tailgating is a personal thing. You bring the food, you bring the music, you bring the tent, and you bring the friends. So what exactly is UL not giving to them?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I’m truly wondering what these “protesters” specifically want from UL. I mean tailgating is a personal thing. You bring the food, you bring the music, you bring the tent, and you bring the friends. So what exactly is UL not giving to them?
    Like MAT said, its an avenue for them to _____. Apparently UL was not giving them the platform to comment on the tailgating issue as they claim UL did not send the survey to black students.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Like MAT said, its an avenue for them to _____. Apparently UL was not giving them the platform to comment on the tailgating issue as they claim UL did not send the survey to black students.
    That’s ridiculous though because the surveys asked if you were a fan, student or alumni. It never asked about race so if they didn’t fill out the survey that’s on them and not the athletic department

Can you imagine the ____ storm that would come from a school only sending mass emails to one race? Just imagine the lawsuits, the national coverage, protests.

Of course this didn’t actually happen. And the fact that this isn’t on the front page of every newspaper tells you nobody besides a handful of willfully ignorant students believe it did happen.

Yeah, this person is clearly just angry at the world. She’s just looking for ways to justify her anger. It is a shame that someone like her who can’t make a coherent argument and can’t even understand reality gets a platform to begin with.

This seemed to always be creeping towards a race thing. Whether that was the intention or not. It’s a shame because I can’t see how any complaint this writer had towards the University and tailgating could be attributed to racism. But who knows? Maybe my entire comment could be considered ignorant and racist depending on who you ask. That’s the reality now a days.

I’ll just be honest and say that if I was Dr. Maggard I wouldn’t exactly know how to respond to this. The issues being raised on Twitter this week are overwhelmingly coming from black students. I would hope Dr. Maggard will be able to reach out to various on campus organizations led by black students and leaders and engage them in a productive discussion about their concerns. Only problem is: most productive discussions do not stem from inaccurate attacks which is how this whole ordeal started.

I do not envy the POA in this situation. Many complaints stem from the atmosphere not being “lit” like at SU or LSU. I understand the writer for the Vermilion mentioned not actually needing the band to play “Neck.” However, take a look at the comment section of any LSU video of their band playing “Neck.” It will be filled with commenters from the HBCU’s claiming cultural appropriation and theft from the black bands’ traditions. The HBCU bands have a wonderful tradition that cannot and honestly shouldn’t be replicated as it’s theirs and unique to those institutions. It’s seems like a bit of a political minefield and “Damned if You Do, Damned if You Don’t” situation to me. It’s a fine line to walk when you have to worry about upsetting 1. the older fans if you change the music 2. the younger fans if you don’t change the music or 3. the younger fans who will cry thievery if you too blatantly adopt the sound of other bands.

Truly I don’t envy anyone associated with the university who will be tasked with navigating this situation. However, our black students and student athletes are obviously important to the future success of this university. If they feel unheard or attacked, our administration should take time to listen. I definitely can’t fault Jay or Dr. Maggard’s initial responses to the article. If you converse with someone, you have a decent chance of a dialogue. If you attack someone, they will either defend themselves or attack back.
    I don't envy them at all, nor Dr Savoie. I do feel bad for our Athletes, AD and the students that are currently supporting this team. What this young lady and those that are feeding this narrative are is what administrators and professors on college campuses across the country have created. They've cultivated the environment in which these students can exist and thrive without working with others. It is tribalism at it's best. I want free water, my own music that caters to my culture and other activities that focus on my culture. This university is just entirely too white!

All of us on this board need to understand our white privilege. Beto said so this week!

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    This seemed to always be creeping towards a race thing. Whether that was the intention or not. It's a shame because I can't see how any complaint this writer had towards the University and tailgating could be attributed to racism. But who knows? Maybe my entire comment could be considered ignorant and racist depending on who you ask. That's the reality now a days.
    From reading Twitter, anyone who wants to have a discussion about the article is considered racist for not 💯 agreeing with it. 🤦🏻

So the university is only concerned about black attendance? OK. I hate when people play the race card. It often clouds their ability for reasonable thinking.
    I’m sure you’re responding to the tweet and not my post, but just in case, I absolutely DO NOT think this at all. I found this tweet totally mind boggling. Not bashing the young woman. Just stating that I do not understand.

The strategy of posting something on Twitter and having all your friends retweet it and post agreements to make it seem like a majority agrees with you is fairly easy. However, this whole black shirts idea might backfire and give away this group’s true numbers. If we have a group of 200-300 kids in black shirts, we’ll know there is at least a significant group to consider. If it’s 12-20 people in black shirts as a lot of us are expecting, well.they are gonna have to go back to the drawing board for their own cause.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    From reading Twitter, anyone who wants to have a discussion about the article is considered racist for not 💯 agreeing with it. 🤦🏻
    The moment there is resistance, a differing opinion or God forbid someone is just wrong, the card can easily get pulled.

If you’re in an argument with someone who looks different than you and that person appears to have the upper hand because they have facts to support their position, that doesn’t make them racist. It probably makes them right.

I’m sure you’re responding to the tweet and not my post, but just in case, I absolutely DO NOT think this at all. I found this tweet totally mind boggling. Not bashing the young woman. Just stating that I do not understand.

The strategy of posting something on Twitter and having all your friends retweet it and post agreements to make it seem like a majority agrees with you is fairly easy. However, this whole black shirts idea might backfire and give away this group’s true numbers. If we have a group of 200-300 kids in black shirts, we’ll know there is at least a significant group to consider. If it’s 12-20 people in black shirts as a lot of us are expecting, well.they are gonna have to go back to the drawing board for their own cause.
    Who posted something about black shirts? Sounds like it would be miserable on a day like today.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Who posted something about black shirts? Sounds like it would be miserable on a day like today.
    See Dre Dog’s embedded tweet on I believe page 11 or 12. This comes with the hashtag cULtivateCHANGE. It only takes a couple more clicks to get from the people supporting this idea to posts supporting the original article.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst . 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 . LastLast

Thread Information