Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread: Napier makes the National News

Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Football players should get a complementary membership to RCAF (if that is legal).

Let them see what the fund/organization is doing for them, and then the players can decide if they want to contribute (free market without any duress or pressure).

What happens next year? Another speech or rule to donate?

These young men give a tremendous amount of time and effort to the program, and most all don't make it to the professional level with the big bucks.

Think beyond the present.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by USL1970 View Post
    Football players should get a complementary membership to RCAF (if that is legal).

Let them see what the fund/organization is doing for them, and then the players can decide if they want to contribute (free market without any duress or pressure).

What happens next year? Another speech or rule to donate?

These young men give a tremendous amount of time and effort to the program, and most all don't make it to the professional level with the big bucks.

Think beyond the present.
    Dude. STOP.

3. Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by Oiler View Post
    Do you at least agree that UL got a lot of bad national press out of this?
    Define bad press.

Most readers can use discernment when it comes to this MEdia-2 invention of a trouble spot.

UL mis-stepped walking backwards so it does leave a negative balance, with no way to mount a national reply.

Players investing in themselves is in no way negative. Regardless of the ME-2 spin.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Napier is not to blame! We have quality people in place in the Athletic Department to do that job, they didn't. They didn't do their job. That's my point. It's a misstep on their part and it now has been corrected. If I going to give a person credit when they do their job well, I'm going to also point when they do not. Let's not sugar coat it, it is what it is.
    I agree with you. Somebody blundered something to where this was able to turn into negative national media attention for our program. Doesn’t matter what the truth or real intentions were. The fact this has to be “cleared up”, or appeared to be walked back, is not good.

We’ve had too many ways from previous leadership where our athletic program was looked upon as a clown show, so it sucks that something occurs to be twisted allows the “typical USL athletics” shots to return. Our athletic programs, especially Football, appear to be going in the positive direction. I’d hate to see that snowball reverse.

5. Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    Are people really griping about these guys giving $0.96 a week? It costs more than that to get a soda from a vending machine.

Skip the soda, take a few sips from the water fountain, and donate your $50. It’s good for your health! 😂
    how much do the regular students have to pay for bourgeois hall use? and im guessing they pay whether they go or not? isnt the apc more or less the athletes private bourgeois hall, but its free?

6. Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by Crowley Cajun View Post
    When a favorite P5 does it, it wouldn't surprise me that they will be praised for being so innovative and forward thinking. lol.
    bump to the max

7. Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by alum81 View Post
    Players agreed to play here and signed a contract. Now coach gets up and says they are now required to give $50. It looks like he changed the terms of the agreement after it was signed.

You guys can blame the media if you want to, but he clearly said it was required for scholarship players.

He has dialed it back after realizing how this looks.

The man made a mistake and now he's doing a little damage control and moving on.

Some here should realize that even great men make mistakes sometimes.

I think most employees would have a problem if their boss suddenly required that they donate a specific amount to some organization in order to remain employed with the company.

Oh, and I know it's my opinion not yours.
    players also only sign on for 20 hours a week as they are allegedly students firSt....how many schools violate those practice limits and never get caught. if athlete signed on for 20 and then is required more how is that not also a change in the terms, even though this was optional but those extra hours arent i wager

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    players also only sign on for 20 hours a week as they are allegedly students firSt....how many schools violate those practice limits and never get caught. if athlete signed on for 20 and then is required more how is that not also a change in the terms, even though this was optional but those extra hours arent i wager
    Reality is if you want to be a successful D1 athlete, you’re going to put in more than 20 hours per week, whether with teammates or extra conditioning, drills, etc on your own.

Quote Originally Posted by 31Ragin97 View Post
    how much do the regular students have to pay for bourgeois hall use? and im guessing they pay whether they go or not? isnt the apc more or less the athletes private bourgeois hall, but its free?
    Athletes “pay” for its use by representing the university in athletic competition.

10. Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Athletes “pay” for its use by representing the university in athletic competition.
    fair enough....so what does bourgeois fee run nowadays? could exempt the athletes from paying the bourgeois fee, then since apc is free there is now an available amount for rcaf

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    The true story? Or the story everyone read? This is so f’n ridiculous..and people wonder why nobody has any accountability. If you are looking for the bad or negative in every situation you can find it. I’ll pledge a $1000 in the players names to help double THEIR contributions. This staff and this team are trying to do something good and positive. Leave it to the media and masses to try to ruin it. It’s sad that people want to find the negative in this. I hope the staff and team sends out a big 🖕🏼 to everyone who has an issue with what THEY decided to do.
    You DAMN right!!!

Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    I agree with you. Somebody blundered something to where this was able to turn into negative national media attention for our program. Doesn’t matter what the truth or real intentions were. The fact this has to be “cleared up”, or appeared to be walked back, is not good.

We’ve had too many ways from previous leadership where our athletic program was looked upon as a clown show, so it sucks that something occurs to be twisted allows the “typical USL athletics” shots to return. Our athletic programs, especially Football, appear to be going in the positive direction. I’d hate to see that snowball reverse.
    Yea, I'm not sure why some people just don't get it. It doesn't matter who delivered the message and how sound the concept, it wasn't done well by our athletic department. The first step in improving, is learning from your mistakes. Time to move on.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Yea, I'm not sure why some people just don't get it. It doesn't matter who delivered the message and how sound the concept, it wasn't done well by our athletic department. The first step in improving, is learning from your mistakes. Time to move on.

Exactly, the equestrian has been battered enough.

14. Default Re: Napier makes the National News

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    Exactly, the equestrian has been battered enough.
    I’m thinking that everyone but a couple on this board have moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    I’m thinking that everyone but a couple on this board have moved on.
    Dilly dilly

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Thread Information