Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Default Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Looking ahead to this season's Cajuns football campaign, optimism reigns. The team and coaching staff will be better than last year, no doubt. How that reflects in the final record remains to be seen. Not too many years ago we were thrilled with an 8-4 record. If we don't breakthrough the 8-4 ceiling this year will the season be considered a disappointment or an acceptable step forward for the football program?

Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Considering the fact that we haven’t won this many games in 5 years, I would say that this would be progress.

Anything outside of 2nd place for the SBC West is a disappointment.

Depending on how the season goes 7-5 may not be a disappointment. It’s all about making progress. To me anything over 7 wins is successful on paper. But how you get there is what really matters.

It also depends on the post season whether an 8-4 regular season is a disappointment. If we end with a 2 game losing streak like last year, it will be more of the same. I am hoping for at least 1-2 wins in post season to determine success.

I think 10 regular season wins is realistic with losses to Troy and State. I truly believe that the rest of the games should be winnable.
    I'm also predicting that we will beat Troy in a rematch for the conference title in a PACKED, raucous Cajun Field.

Will that happen? Who knows, but that's my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I think 10 regular season wins is realistic with losses to Troy and State. I truly believe that the rest of the games should be winnable.
    I'm also predicting that we will beat Troy in a rematch for the conference title in a PACKED, raucous Cajun Field.

It’s definitely not a stretch. Both App State and Troy have to come to Lafayette with new head coaches, so that’ll definitely work in our favor. What I’m hoping for is a healthy team going into November especially for key positions. If we can minimize the injuries, I think we will be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post

There is a case to be made that it's possible that UL could have a few surprise wins this season. The staff changes at Ark State, App State and Troy were significant. On paper, App State is still the most talented team in the SBC top to bottom. Ark State has 7 new assistants and two new GA's listed, while Troy has lost 4 defensive starters since spring as well as one major rotation player on their DL.

Winning the West Division is the first step, then you will have a chance of playing for a conference championship again.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Looking ahead to this season's Cajuns football campaign, optimism reigns. The team and coaching staff will be better than last year, no doubt. How that reflects in the final record remains to be seen. Not too many years ago we were thrilled with an 8-4 record. If we don't breakthrough the 8-4 ceiling this year will the season be considered a disappointment or an acceptable step forward for the football program?
    Well, just to answer your question, 8-4 would certainly be a disappointment if all 4 losses were in the Sun Belt. We would be scratching our heads. I don't this this will happen, of course. As long as we improve overall and do well at the end of the season, it will be a successful season. Next year, (my) expectations will be higher.

We will be underdogs in five of our first seven games.

Mississippi State, at Ohio, at Georgia Southern, App State, at Arkansas State

And Liberty won't be a walk in the park.

Anything over 7 win would be over achieving IMO

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Anything over 7 win would be over achieving IMO
    You that optimistic huh? lol

15-0.I'm an optimist. But will happily take 8 wins.

My short answer is Hell No.

Longer answer.

1. If we are injury-riddled and still go 8-4, it feels like a HUGE win.
    2. If we have late game leads, and blow a couple of games and go 8-4, I won't feel as great with it.
    3. If we go 8-4 and play in SBC Championship . winner.
    4. If we go 8-4, win SBC and play in NOLA, winner, winner.
    5. If we go 8-4, win SBC and win in NOLA, winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You that optimistic huh? lol
    Tough schedule and a ton of question marks we are still a work in progress

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information