Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Perhaps, but that's your opinion. I attended a number of practices and Broadway was not performing up to Blaine's level his second year here, that was the reason he was not starting. So how would have Broadway beaten him his first season here had he been eligible? Broadway wasn't ready early in his second season based upon his performance.
    Blaine couldn’t clearly beat out Masson in practice. If broadway, a four star recruit from Houston was immediately eligible that’s who Hud would have started. Blaine likely wouldn’t have gotten the chance he did to prove it in The games. Nobody knew he would be that good, including hud. Broadway was trying to beat out proven Blaine in 2012, not 2011 Blaine who couldn’t pull away from Masson in camp. we can discuss further Hud and broadways relationship but personally don't think it’s necessary. And also it’s not an opinion, Blaine was not the only QB in 2011. broadway was pretty damn good pre injury.

Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Blaine couldn’t clearly beat out Masson in practice. If broadway, a four star recruit from Houston was immediately eligible that’s who Hud would have started. Blaine likely wouldn’t have gotten the chance he did to prove it in The games. Nobody knew he would be that good, including hud. Broadway was trying to beat out proven Blaine in 2012, not 2011 Blaine who couldn’t pull away from Masson in camp. we can discuss further Hud and broadways relationship but personally don't think it’s necessary. And also it’s not an opinion, Blaine was not the only QB in 2011. broadway was pretty damn good pre injury.
    Blaine had problems with the system and the terminology, Masson did not because his game experience. Masson picked up the system quickly and had a few decent games. That was before he showed he didn't like getting hit and once Blaine took over it was his job to keep. I was on the sideline in Jonesboro when Masson lost that game with his interceptions and running out of bounds. Hudspeth learned his lesson after that game.

3. Research Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    Blaine couldn't clearly beat out Masson in practice. If broadway, a four star recruit from Houston was immediately eligible that's who Hud would have started. Blaine likely wouldn't have gotten the chance he did to prove it in The games. Nobody knew he would be that good, including hud. Broadway was trying to beat out proven Blaine in 2012, not 2011 Blaine who couldn't pull away from Masson in camp. we can discuss further Hud and broadways relationship but personally don't think it's necessary. And also it's not an opinion, Blaine was not the only QB in 2011. broadway was pretty damn good pre injury.
    I don't know about camp but Gautier pulled away from the whole conference by the end of 2011.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Hud would not have made a Year-One Bowl game if Broadway was the regular season QB.

jmo
    What??

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    What??
    I was kinda thinking the same.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Blaine had problems with the system and the terminology, Masson did not because his game experience. Masson picked up the system quickly and had a few decent games. That was before he showed he didn't like getting hit and once Blaine took over it was his job to keep. I was on the sideline in Jonesboro when Masson lost that game with his interceptions and running out of bounds. Hudspeth learned his lesson after that game.
    That ark state game was towards the end of the year. Gautier had been the starter. He was having a terrible game as well with his interceptions. I remember the wind being terrible that day. The only game I remember Masson being decent in was the Troy game when he again relieved an injured Gautier

Quote Originally Posted by RC8 View Post
    That ark state game was towards the end of the year. Gautier had been the starter. He was having a terrible game as well with his interceptions. I remember the wind being terrible that day. The only game I remember Masson being decent in was the Troy game when he again relieved an injured Gautier
    Looking back it was at the end of the year, Masson was a good kid he just wasn't that tough. Blaine struggled in that game, they were just better than UL period. I remember Masson's game against Troy, he was SBC Offensive player of the week for that game.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Some of you guys need to get really limber and kick yourself in the ___.

We're a couple of years early talking about being disappointed with 8 wins. Most of our football roster is a massive work in progress. There are just too many variables.

Only thing on our minds right now should be beating Moo State.
    Agree on tempering expectations.

but in the same post, you say we should have beating MissStake on our minds. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the likelihood of us winning 8 games is higher than the likelihood of us beating the MooCows. Jmo.

I'd take a close game against them and 7 regular season wins this year and be happy as a lark. Anything over that is gravy in my mind. Those saying they couldn't see the season a success unless we get back into the league championship game are forgetting that we got there with a 5-3 record last year. We would have finished 4th in the other division.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get back there and win 8 games or more. I just don't think it will necessarily be a disappointment if we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by DieHard1280 View Post
    Agree on tempering expectations.

but in the same post, you say we should have beating MissStake on our minds. I'm not saying it can't happen, but the likelihood of us winning 8 games is higher than the likelihood of us beating the MooCows. Jmo.

I'd take a close game against them and 7 regular season wins this year and be happy as a lark. Anything over that is gravy in my mind. Those saying they couldn't see the season a success unless we get back into the league championship game are forgetting that we got there with a 5-3 record last year. We would have finished 4th in the other division.

That being said, I wouldn't be surprised at all if we get back there and win 8 games or more. I just don't think it will necessarily be a disappointment if we don't.
    I think he's saying focus on Miss State, because that's who we play 1st. Focus on the upcoming opponent, and let the record take care of itself.

Hopefully, that is what the team is doing, at least.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post

Hopefully, that is what the team is doing, at least.
    This is what really matters!

Everything else is just message board summer doldrums fodder. But I do understand the distinction between focusing on beating the Moo Moos (which fans can't do anyway) and EXPECTING to beat them.

11. Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

What??
    Try following the thread.

The subject was "Hud: Year One" Boomer said Broadway was the best QB. Terrance sat out that year thus, could not have helped Hud get to a bowl game.

Even if he could have played in 2011, as a transfer Broadway was ill-equipped to take over a new team from scratch. Now that is just opinion since we will never know

However with a full year of being an understudy in the system Broadway was still extremely slow out the 2012 gate in part time duty.

In Broadway's first 7 games he had 5 interceptions in a 102 pass stretch . before getting untracked.

That kind of early play would have cost UL a bowl slot.

Try following the thread.

The subject was "Hud: Year One" Boomer said Broadway was the best QB. Terrance sat out that year thus, could not have helped Hud get to a bowl game.

Even if he could have played in 2011, as a transfer Broadway was ill-equipped to take over a new team from scratch. Now that is just opinion since we will never know

However with a full year of being an understudy in the system Broadway was still extremely slow out the 2012 gate in part time duty.

In Broadway's first 7 games he had 5 interceptions in a 102 pass stretch . before getting untracked.

That kind of early play would have cost UL a bowl slot.
    Yeah, I did follow and your opinion is why I reacted the way I did. Broadway didn't play part time in 2012. He may have shared some time with Blaine but he played every game and had the majority of the passing yards and attempts.

I'm not really worried about what Boomer said. I was just reacting to your statement that we would not have made a year 1 bowl game. I would disagree. You are right, neither of us will ever know who would have been correct but to suggest that Broadway would have been responsible for 3 less wins than Blaine and Chris in Yr1, I disagree.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Since 1973 we have won 8 or more games a total of 6 times. And 4 of those have been adjusted down below 8 wins by the NCAA.

So, no, 8 wins will not be a disappointment.
    While we're all hungry for more, agree 8 wins this year will be progress. Offense will score a lot of points, hoping for improved defense.

14. Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Yeah, I did follow and your opinion is why I reacted the way I did. Broadway didn't play part time in 2012. He may have shared some time with Blaine but he played every game and had the majority of the passing yards and attempts.

I'm not really worried about what Boomer said. I was just reacting to your statement that we would not have made a year 1 bowl game. I would disagree. You are right, neither of us will ever know who would have been correct but to suggest that Broadway would have been responsible for 3 less wins than Blaine and Chris in Yr1, I disagree.
    There is no way UL makes a bowl game with Broadway as QB in 2011 he wasn't ready even if he had been eligible.

Gautier only threw 6 interceptions in his first 417 attempts. A real key to winning.

Broadway threw 13 interceptions in his first 423 pass attempts. Subtract a year of practice in the system and he would have been even worse.

There is no way UL makes a bowl game with Broadway as QB in 2011 he wasn't ready even if he had been eligible.

Gautier only threw 6 interceptions in his first 417 attempts. A real key to winning.

Broadway threw 13 interceptions in his first 423 pass attempts. Subtract a year of practice in the system and he would have been even worse.
    Again, with your own admission you stated that we have no way of knowing. You want to know what Broadway did do? He threw for a 65% pass completion percentage (higher than Gautier) and he ran for nearly 900 yards. HE was the reason the offense was so much more balanced the next year and we averaged nearly 60 yards more per game than in 2011. 2012 and 2008 were our two most explosive offenses that I remember. Again, you can claim there would have been some learning curve for Broadway. I'm not as confident in that as he had spent time at UH and in a system similar to ours. You can assume the rest.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information