Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by IHateLaState View Post
    Agree with this. I think we have a chance with this being game 1. That being said lofty goals are a year away. I think 7-5 to 8-4 should be a good goal and a good season. Another big recruiting class and watch out next year
    For sure. I hope we always expect to win. I do.

2. Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    For sure. I hope we always expect to win. I do.
    Surely you will bet the mother load on this one 🤔

3. Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    And if not for a yacked PAT by ULM, we may have been sitting home in December. I'm still in the show me something mode.

TTMW is correct. Many are looking at Ohio as an auto win. It won't be.
    It wasn't a yacked PAT it was a missed FG from 36 yards out. Not a PAT from 17 yards out. And even if they hit the FG, Cajuns may have still won the game in OT, it's not like ULM wins if they hit that FG. And it was not a shocker that the ULM kicker Ford, missed that FG, he was 3-6 on FG's from 30-39 yards away last season and only 9-14 for the year. In kicks over 30 yards for the season he was 4-8 with a long of 43 yards.

Look this is a very daunting schedule, as almost everyone we play is a tough game out of conference with the exception of Texas Southern.

Moo State went 8-4 last year in the regular season with a loss to Iowa in the Outback bowl
    Liberty went 6-6 with wins over Troy/New Mexico/NMSU and ODU
    Ohio went 8-4 on last year with a win in the Frisco Bowl over SDSU.

Add to that, App State/Troy/Ark State/Georgia Southern and ULM in the SBC and theoretically we have 7 really tough games and one that we are expected to lose. So that makes 8 games that we have to go a minimum of 4-4 in.

That means we have to beat, Texas State/USA/Coastal and Texas Southern, which I fully expect us to do. But winning those alone won't do it. Having App/Troy and ULM at home really helps, but Ga So/stAte and Ohio on the road will be tough.

I can see this team going 10-2 or 6-6. Anything less than 8-4 would be a dissappointment, but I would not be shocked if we are 6-6 when the season ends, I hope I am wrong. But this is going to be a really fun and interesting season.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!

Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

8-4 will feel okay as long as we are respectable against Miss St, win our first two home games and get into the conference championship. Anything less will not feel like progress is being made.

5. UL Football Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    It wasn't a yacked PAT it was a missed FG from 36 yards out. Not a PAT from 17 yards out. And even if they hit the FG, Cajuns may have still won the game in OT, it's not like ULM wins if they hit that FG. And it was not a shocker that the ULM kicker Ford, missed that FG, he was 3-6 on FG's from 30-39 yards away last season and only 9-14 for the year. In kicks over 30 yards for the season he was 4-8 with a long of 43 yards.

Look this is a very daunting schedule, as almost everyone we play is a tough game out of conference with the exception of Texas Southern.

Moo State went 8-4 last year in the regular season with a loss to Iowa in the Outback bowl

Add to that, App State/Troy/Ark State/Georgia Southern and ULM in the SBC and theoretically we have 7 really tough games and one that we are expected to lose. So that makes 8 games that we have to go a minimum of 4-4 in.

That means we have to beat, Texas State/USA/Coastal and Texas Southern, which I fully expect us to do. But winning those alone won't do it. Having App/Troy and ULM at home really helps, but Ga So/stAte and Ohio on the road will be tough.

I can see this team going 10-2 or 6-6. Anything less than 8-4 would be a dissappointment, but I would not be shocked if we are 6-6 when the season ends, I hope I am wrong. But this is going to be a really fun and interesting season.

Geaux Cajuns!!!!
    You're way too pragmatic for a message board.😉

If I’m picking our losses then I’d start with:
    Miss St
    Ohio
    stAte
    and two of App Troy GaSo.

Every other game on our schedule should be wins by 10+ points. That’s not to say we can’t go 8-4 or 9-3, that is just where I see us falling through the season. We are 2 recruiting classes away from dominating this league if we can hold onto this staff.

If we could ever get on equal footing perception wise with LaTurd and Tulane then it’s game over with in state recruiting.

Louisiana Campus Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Geaux Cajuns!!!!
    People forget we had only 1 win vs a team that was +.500 We are still a work in progress just make a bowl and keep getting better week to weekThe season will be decided in Athens, Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    People forget we had only 1 win vs a team that was +.500 We are still a work in progress just make a bowl and keep getting better week to week.
    15-0 cotton bowl champs

Geaux Cajuns!!!!
    Last's year performance has little to do with this years teams. While I agree with you that we have a number of games on our schedule that UL will be the underdog going in to the contest, you can put a number of asterisk by these teams.

Troy, App State and Ark. State have all had major changes in staff. App State and Troy both lost head coaches and their systems that led to success. Ark State has seven new assistant coaches in addition to 2 new grad coaches. That is an 80% turnover in staff, there is no way that their season will not have a few bumps in the road. All three of these teams will still be good, but I don't believe they will play up to their records from last season. UL plays App State and Troy at home, if you want to send a message to the SBC and your fan base that your team will compete for a championship this season, we must win both of those home games.

Miss. State and Ohio will be tough obviously, both are coming off bowl seasons and bowl wins. Miss State must decide upon their QB, either Thompson or Penn State transfer Tommy Stevens. The defense will have to replace 2 first round DL NFL draft picks and the secondary lost another 2 to the NFL Draft. State is still and SEC team will quality depth and speed at certain positions. I don't expect to beat them at this point, but I do expect a much better game from the Cajuns.

Ohio is a physical and discipline team under Frank Solich. They are very hard to beat at home and this game will be a good gauge for the Cajuns. If we play well or win this game, it will help us prepare for conference.

Liberty will be no pushover, they have FBS talent at certain positions. They just received a transfer QB from Auburn Malik Willis who is a top shelve athlete. Coach Freeze is an offensive mind and Liberty will be no pushover at Cajun Field.

Georgia Southern will be another tough game in Statesboro for the Cajuns. Don't get caught up in the recent suspensions of their starting QB Shai Werts and defensive end Quan Griffin. Both will be on the field when the Cajuns play them. If our offense is playing well, we should have a chance to win this game.

ULM, Coastal Carolina, South Alabama and Texas State are all winnable games. I didn't say easy wins, but games you should circle on your schedule as wins. That's 4 wins and you add Texas Southern and Liberty, that gets you to a 6 wins season.

That leaves Miss State, Ark State, Troy, App State, Georgia Southern and Ohio as the games that will decide what type of season the Ragin' Cajuns will have in 2019. If the Cajuns can find a way to go 3-3 in these games, that gets you to a 9 win season. If UL only wins 2 of these games, it gets the Cajuns to an 8 win season. Anything less than 8 wins will be a disappointing season in my opinion.

We have a very good staff and our expectations should match their goals. Yes, it will be a challenging schedule with 85 first and second year players on the roster, but there is better talent and depth than the Cajun's played with last season.

10. Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

Are we deeper now than Huds first 4 years?

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
    I believe we are still dealing with the fallout of the sanctions and Hud's poor roster management I would say no right now

Plus the sunbelt is light years better than when Hudspeth arrived

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Finkle View Post
    I think we have more depth and talent than we've had in the past 3 seasons. We are more talented in some positions compared to Huds first 4 years. We don't have the experience of Hud's first two teams.

According to ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) 8-5 is exceeding expectations.

"ESPN Football Power Index (FPI) algorithm predicts a 7-5 Cajuns record for 2019 based on a percentage win probability of each game."

https://espn1420.com/espn-fpi-predic.nX6FNWf5x_O4lQ

14. Default Re: Will 8-4 Be A Disappointment?

8-4 only disappoints if you dis your appointments and miss all the wins

Geaux Cajuns!!!!
    I stand corrected, was a FG miss, just remembed it should have been made. Doesn't change my measured expectations. HUD got us there a few years and faded. We need consistent success to move the needle, not just four years and a collaspe.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information