Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread: Baseball Coaching Search 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Guarantee George Washington and Abraham Lincoln would not have wanted monuments built to them either. The monument is for the living, to remind them of what the memorialized stood for, to attempt to prolong the positive affect they have had beyond their passing.
    Oh, I understand that. I just think this would be the exact opposite of Tony's core belief of pointing the honor and praise in the right direction.

Default Re: Baseball Coaching Search 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Guarantee George Washington and Abraham Lincoln would not have wanted monuments built to them either. The monument is for the living, to remind them of what the memorialized stood for, to attempt to prolong the positive affect they have had beyond their passing.
    Yea and with no disrespect, we can no longer wonder "what Tony would want".. He would say he didn't build the stadium and deflect praise to others. Sorry Tony YOU built the stadium.. He would deflect praise and honor others. Well its time to honor the man in a BIG WAY. The man should be imortalized. His image needs to be on the stadium HE built... on the program HE built... so when my grandchildren ask "who is that?".. I can tell them of a great man who influenced an entire community.. Build the damn statue

3. Default Re: Baseball Coaching Search 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Oh, I understand that. I just think this would be the exact opposite of Tony's core belief of pointing the honor and praise in the right direction.
    Now is the time to point honor and praise in the right direction. He has completed his calling in person and the way he has done it will live on forever. A statue at this time could not be more perfect for the one who has most earned it.

Deggs' stories at the Diamond Club function last night gave me goosebumps. He had some serious signs pointing him back this way

5. Default Re: Baseball Coaching Search 2019

Yeah, I remember hearing a story of Brother Martin who at the time was the Principal of Cor Jesu, I believe or might have been Aloysius in 1968. They were going to merge the two schools to create a new school and at the meeting someone suggested Brother Martin as the name since he was going to be the principal. He stated you only name things after death and I am not dead yet. They supposedly voted on a name and he left the meeting, and the group met afterward and named the school Brother Martin anyway.

He was not happy at all about this happening.

Quote Originally Posted by wcd35 View Post
    Deggs' stories at the Diamond Club function last night gave me goosebumps. He had some serious signs pointing him back this way
    They almost sound made up because they are too good to be true. Last night went a long way to help the healing process.

Dang, I have been a diamond club member for a very long time; was at the press conference yesterday, and had no idea there was a diamond club function last night. Did I miss an email?

Also, I would have been there had I known, so can you share some of the stories? Some different from the ones he told at his presser?

Tony did commonly say they don't build statues for critics but may build a statue of you at the stadium after you are gone. So it is not out of the realm of possibility that he would be honored by such an act. I really see the statue to more honor his legacy and for his family, former coaches, and players. I do think building the clubhouse should be priority number one though.

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Dang, I have been a diamond club member for a very long time; was at the press conference yesterday, and had no idea there was a diamond club function last night. Did I miss an email?

Also, I would have been there had I known, so can you share some of the stories? Some different from the ones he told at his presser?
    I dont know if it was a true DC function or what. There was an email sent out the day before about it.

One of the things he talked about was how special Lafayette is. He said when he moved away 5 years ago, the moving guy was from Lafayette and brought him over to Huntsville. Deggs said when the guy was all done and finished unloading, the driver told him I'll see you in 5 years when you move back

I have an idea that would honor Robe, and not affect the naming rights. The Tigue would still be called Russo (whatever it is called now with the following addendum: "the house that Tony built." This would be inscribed in the base of the statue and painted near the stadium entrance.

I dont know if it was a true DC function or what. There was an email sent out the day before about it.

One of the things he talked about was how special Lafayette is. He said when he moved away 5 years ago, the moving guy was from Lafayette and brought him over to Huntsville. Deggs said when the guy was all done and finished unloading, the driver told him I'll see you in 5 years when you move back
    That's pretty great. I hope he uses the same mover to move back.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I have an idea that would honor Robe, and not affect the naming rights. The Tigue would still be called Russo (whatever it is called now with the following addendum: "the house that Tony built." This would be inscribed in the base of the statue and painted near the stadium entrance.
    Love it

https://youtu.be/vbqgO_wYK8o

Still getting pumped.

I just ordered his book 15 to 28.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    I just ordered his book 15 to 28.
    I did the same

Page 35 of 43 FirstFirst ... 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 ... LastLast

Thread Information